• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General team of the 2010s thread

Spark

Global Moderator
Put 'em all here.

Cricinfo has put various country decade XIs together:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...,-australia,-pakistan,-women,-wi,-zimbabwe-sl

England's Test XI of the decade
Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Jonathan Trott
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
James Anderson
Steven Finn (?)

Australia's Test XI of the decade
David Warner
Chris Rogers
Steven Smith
Michael Clarke (c)
Michael Hussey
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk)
Mitchell Johnson
Pat Cummins
Ryan Harris
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood (12th man)

Pakistan's Test XI of the decade
Mohammad Hafeez
Azhar Ali
Younis Khan
Misbah-ul-Haq (c)
Babar Azam
Asad Shafiq
Sarfaraz Ahmed (wk)
Yasir Shah
Mohammad Amir
Saeed Ajmal
Mohammad Abbas

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was about to make this thread. That English team is..........interesting. I guess Finn is the only one I would actually get rid of, but geee, everyone except for Root and Stokes were there in 2010-11. Australia's team is bang-on.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Namibian XI of the decade

Stephan Baard
Raymond van Schoor (RIP)
JP Kotze
Gerhard Erasmus
Craig Williams
Nicolaas Scholtz
Gerrie Snyman
Sarel Burger
JJ Smit
Christi Viljoen
Bernard Scholtz

Dat batting depth

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Indian Test XI of the decade

Murali Vijay
Mayank Agarwal
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
M S Dhoni
Ravindra Jadeja
Ravichandran Ashwin
Ishant Sharma
Mohammed Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was about to make this thread. That English team is..........interesting. I guess Finn is the only one I would actually get rid of, but geee, everyone except for Root and Stokes were there in 2010-11. Australia's team is bang-on.
The BBC one had Bell in for Trott and Woakes in for Finn.

I'd go with the latter but not the former.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA Test XI

Smith
Elgar
Amla
Kallis
ABdV
Faf
QDK
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn

Not a bad team.

*special mention for Morkel.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ

McCullum (opener and captain)
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Ryder (sorry CDG)
Watling (wk)
Vettori
Southee
Wagner
Boult

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ

McCullum (opener and captain)
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Ryder (sorry CDG)
Watling (wk)
Vettori
Southee
Wagner
Boult
I see Cricinfo picked De Grandhomme but I'd still go Ryder. He had so much time to play his shots (and drink his shots too unfortunately).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
cricket dot com dot au named their ODI team of the decade:

01 Rohit
02 Amla
03 Virat
04 ABDV
05 Shakib
06 Buttler
07 Dhoni
08 Rashid Khan
09 Starc
10 Boult
11 Malinga

Thoughts? I think Rashid Khan has benefited heavily from his T20 exploits and the fact he has played so many ODI against weaker teams.

Im not a huge Amla fan, I dont know who to pick ahead, but he didnt seem to perform in bigger tournaments.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Indian Test XI of the decade

Murali Vijay
Mayank Agarwal
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
M S Dhoni
Ravindra Jadeja
Ravichandran Ashwin
Ishant Sharma
Mohammed Shami
Jasprit Bumrah
I don't think Cricinfo has specified any cutoffs (e.g. 5 years/50 tests etc?).
Bit harsh, maybe, but is there any argument to have Sachin (2,951 runs in 38 tests/64 innings, average of 50.01) ahead of Rahane? This is despite a wretched 2012 (23.80) and 2013 (34.50) - but he was god-like in 2010 and pretty good in 2011 too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bit harsh, maybe, but is there any argument to have Sachin (2,951 runs in 38 tests/64 innings, average of 50.01) ahead of Rahane? This is despite a wretched 2012 (23.80) and 2013 (34.50) - but he was god-like in 2010 and pretty good in 2011 too.
One very good year + one okay year + two bad years = pretty meh overall, no? Obviously his overall record in the decade is still good but it feels like it's very front-loaded and you'd like to reward consistency.

OverratedSanity

2010 was much more than very good tbh. Would probably still go Rahane despite his ****tiness from 2016-2018

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
2010 was much more than very good tbh. Would probably still go Rahane despite his ****tiness from 2016-2018
Oh yeah it was pretty incredible, but it was still one year. Rahane has a fair few significant away performances in that period despite his dip in form and he's come good against recently. He's probably also had consistently tougher batting conditions to handle.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Tendulkar didn't cross my mind at all. Always saw him as 90s and 2000s player. Anyways, not a big fan of how his career ended. Rahane just about sneaks in for me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Put 'em all here.

Cricinfo has put various country decade XIs together:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...,-australia,-pakistan,-women,-wi,-zimbabwe-sl

England's Test XI of the decade
Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Jonathan Trott
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
James Anderson
Steven Finn (?)

The Finn selection looks daft until you start searching for alternatives. Tremlett, Bresnan and Roland-Jones all have brief spells of being decent, but they were really brief spells. Archer would be a shoe-in if he'd performed on tour this winter but he hasn't. Curran isn't a 3rd seamer. Standards in English cricket eh?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think Woakes or Bresnan should be the English third seamer based on volume of work. Finn did play an underrated role in the win in Kolkata in 2012 though. He's not a disastrous selection here. Funny that despite not being able to bat for the second half of the decade, the batting spots are arguably a bigger strength (in terms of depth at least) than the seam bowling ones here. Having to leave out one of Trott or Bell is quite rough. Maybe Stokes should bat eight and be the third seamer. :ph34r:

trundler

cricket dot com dot au named their ODI team of the decade:

01 Rohit
02 Amla
03 Virat
04 ABDV
05 Shakib
06 Buttler
07 Dhoni
08 Rashid Khan
09 Starc
10 Boult
11 Malinga

Thoughts? I think Rashid Khan has benefited heavily from his T20 exploits and the fact he has played so many ODI against weaker teams.

Im not a huge Amla fan, I dont know who to pick ahead, but he didnt seem to perform in bigger tournaments.
Ajmal walks in as the spinner*

Spark

Global Moderator
You could just play two spinners and pick Moeen. He did well enough for a few years to be considered and 3 seamers + 2 spinners isn't the worst balance in the world.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I will put Dhoni out and get Taylor or Root while pushing some of the guys down. Maybe even QDK.