• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General team of the 2010s thread

sunilz

International Regular
The gulf between Smith and Kohli in tests is greater than that between them in ODIs, and about a zillion times more important.
ICC TEST RANKING VIRAT KOHLI 1 SMITH 2
ICC ODI RANKING VIRAT KOHLI 1 SMITH 26 :laugh:
ICC T20 RANKING VIRAT KOHLI 10 SMITH 77 :laugh::laugh:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone who thinks Kohli (or indeed anyone since 1948) is a better batsman across all of cricket than Steve Smith is, sadly, the victim of a backyard lobotomy.

The problem you have is your hatred of anything to do with Australia informs your blinkered view of Smith and of cricket in general. Kohli is a fine player but he isn’t fit to carry Smith’s kit bag as a batsman.

Look at the times Kohli has had the winning of a vital KO game in his favoured format at his mercy. He goes missing. It’s like the “oooh Sachin, lube me up with your mighty 1997 Sharjah efforts.” No one with tuppence worth of brains GAF about them, because they’re JAMODIs. Virat, sadly, crumbles like a Sao in a blender at the business end. His abject failure in three consecutive WC semi finals illustrates it.

I had him pegged to dominate the WC this time around and cement his place as an AT ODI King. Instead he ended up the court jester. Hapless when it mattered, as Flem so eloquently pointed out in an earlier post.

sunilz

International Regular
Steve Smith best test batsman since Bradman
Average in Asia 48
Number of series win in Asia 0 ( Not even Bangladesh )

And please don't bring the excuse of batsman can't win you test series when you consider Lyon a better spinner than Ashwin

Burgey

tbf Lyon batted better than Kohli the last time Australia toured India, as well as out bowling Ashwon’t. No wonder he was tired.

sunilz

International Regular
tbf Lyon batted better than Kohli the last time Australia toured India, as well as out bowling Ashwon’t. No wonder he was tired.
And yet AUS couldn't win the series because Smith choked in 4th innings of 2nd test.
Smith has always been a choker throughout his test career. Number of century in 4th inning by Smith in test =0

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Only partially relevant to the theme of the thread, but was just going through some numbers and I must say I didn't realise quite how insane de Villiers' decade was. Test average of 57.48, only bettered by Smith and Sanga of those with over 3.5k runs. Averaged 59 against Australia and 54 in Asia. Then you get to his stupid ODI record; averaging 64.20 at a strike rate of 109.76. To put things into perspective, Kohli averages 60.79 at a strike rate of only 94.11. The next best average for a guy striking at over 100 is Bairstow at 47.68, and the best average for a guy striking better than de Villiers is Buttler at 40.88. In the 2011 World Cup he averaged 88 striking at 108, and in 2015 he averaged 96 at 144. People will say he didn't impact the knockouts but in 2011 he was runout by Faf in the quarters, and in 2015 he was 65* off 45 and arguably taking the game away from New Zealand before the rain arrived. Quite unlucky in the former and very unlucky in the latter.

Obviously he retired a couple of years before decade's end, and you could argue potentially avoided a decline in those numbers, but still think it's hard to argue he's not the best cricketer of the decade.
Such a gun post. Yes, de Villiers was a tremendous player last decade. I noticed his test record too and that it lags just 2 players despite playing lot of games in SA which is close to hardest place to make runs. It was disappointing that CW overlooked AB in its decade's test XI.

Burgey

Such a gun post. Yes, de Villiers was a tremendous player last decade. I noticed his test record too and that it lags just 2 players despite playing lot of games in SA which is close to hardest place to make runs. It was disappointing that CW overlooked AB in its decade's test XI.
Yeah he had a 2010s which was crazy good across all formats.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And yet AUS couldn't win the series because Smith choked in 4th innings of 2nd test.
Smith has always been a choker throughout his test career. Number of century in 4th inning by Smith in test =0
:rofl:

OverratedSanity

Who would you replace from the team picked? Probably Watling?

sunilz

International Regular
Yes, agree with you Burgey .Smith's choke was bigger because it was in test . TEST > ODI