• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An open apology to Marnus Labuschagne

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We all just thought he was another Langer favourite, just like the Marsh brothers, Bancroft, Harris and Siddle.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What's this obsession with naming every young talent coming through a captaincy candidate? Juz let the guy settle in. You got enough captaincy options as it is coz Paine will be around till Smith becomes eligible again and then your lot will do the stupid thing and make him captain again while Carey beds into test cricket. Smith will have another brain fade and then Carey will take over. Simple.

Flem274*

123/5
what was he doing to not score fc runs? he looked the part when he came into test cricket and he's definitely scoring some runs now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
what was he doing to not score fc runs? he looked the part when he came into test cricket and he's definitely scoring some runs now.
Just finding himself, trying to belong and become as good as Renshaw, Burns, Khawaja.

As QLD play the allrounder Wildermuth at 6 it basically meant at full strength it felt like Marnus was just trying to hold off Heazlett (who played ODIs for Oz) and Hemphrey.

I didnt notice anything poor about him but he certainly didnt scream Test Cricketer to me either. I guess he found ways to get out if the bowler was bowling well, i remember seeing him get bowled a few times and edged in the slips, dismissals where youd think Test bowlers would exploit.

It honestly just seems like County cricket has helped him and he has improved, its great to see and he just seems like a top guy.

Gnske

Would it be funny if the nature of cricket hits and in 12 months all these apologies get retracted.

Don't blow your loads yet gentlemen.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just finding himself, trying to belong and become as good as Renshaw, Burns, Khawaja.

As QLD play the allrounder Wildermuth at 6 it basically meant at full strength it felt like Marnus was just trying to hold off Heazlett (who played ODIs for Oz) and Hemphrey.

I didnt notice anything poor about him but he certainly didnt scream Test Cricketer to me either. I guess he found ways to get out if the bowler was bowling well, i remember seeing him get bowled a few times and edged in the slips, dismissals where youd think Test bowlers would exploit.

It honestly just seems like County cricket has helped him and he has improved, its great to see and he just seems like a top guy.

Lots of David Boon about him, for me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Add to that, what I wrote about him somewhere else:

JUz liked how he is set up at the crease as a batsman. Sometimes its just a gut feel, but you felt that if he worked hard enough and had the mental side of things right, he should go on to be a very successful batsman. On the CricketWeb podcast, I think I said there was an X factor about his batting. Its basically that nothing really stands out about him as a batsman, neither as strength nor as a weakness and in an age of overcoached or undercoached batsmen, seeing someone who is naturally comfortable playing off either foot and playing both vertical and horizontal bat shots was, to me, the "X factor." :)

Gob

International Coach
His stance and set up is different now to what it was 12 months ago tbh. Much more open stance

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Changes for sure but rather more subtle compared to the likes of Bailey. Kohli has changed his set up a number of times over the years too. I just think there is an assurance about how well he judges length and how comfortable he is playing off either foot. That has not changed. Like I said, as long as he shows the mental strength required, he should do a lot more and become a very very good test batsman.

stephen

Given how successful Queensland has been over the last few seasons due to the quality of their batsmen (especially when Lynn was available), it's unsurprising he hadn't stood out. Burns, Renshaw, Khawaja, Lynn, Heazlett, Humphrey and Wildermuth have all been jostling for first class batting spots over the last few years. And there's a couple of other youngsters on the fringes (Street and Bryant) who are quite promising as well. So he never stood out amongst them, averaging somewhere in the mid 30s.

I think part of it has to do with both the Gabba and AB Field decks being bowler friendly at shield level. Queensland batsmen often talk about getting the occasional unplayable ball playing at home.

Spark

Global Moderator
His stance and set up is different now to what it was 12 months ago tbh. Much more open stance
There's either an article or something floating around somewhere about how Chris Rogers and others slightly adjusted his backlift to allow him to play straighter to, well, straight balls which really helps his one obvious potential vulnerability (big front pad)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Would it be funny if the nature of cricket hits and in 12 months all these apologies get retracted.

Don't blow your loads yet gentlemen.
It's not so much blowing my load but admitting I was wrong. I was pretty critical of his initial selection and he (and the selectors) proved me wrong. If that changes it wont change the current scenario.

Would actually be interesting to know what the selectors based the initial selection on. I am guessing legspin played a big factor, but then his personality carried him a long way

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Average is now over 60 with 3 x 100's in succession at 25 years of age batting @ no.3 with an away Ashes thrown in there compiling that data.

Is he the new Rahul Dravid? His forward defensive position mimics the great mans a lot imo.

Looks to have a VERY complete game.

Last edited: