• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Siddle was a good fast bowler back when he was a fast bowler, particularly when he pitched it up. Now he's entirely condition dependent, so much so that when Victoria had Pattinson, Hastings, Boland and Tremain were all available, Siddle would often be left out. Now that Hastings was forced into retirement he's seen a few more games, but Siddle was behind Tremain and Boland on the wickets tally and equal with both Pattinson and Holland last season.

He's not a terrible bowler by any means, but there's a few other bowlers who can rightly feel dudded at not being on tour in his place. Have to feel for Bird. His bowling style is well suited to English conditions and he's been banging the door down with his shield performances. Almost certainly won't get a test in England now.
Yeah, Tremain and Boland completely outbowled Siddle in the last Shield season. It is arguable Boland was just in a run of good form and is not really that good looking at his overall record but Tremain's overall record in excellent. However Tremain did not really turn up in the Australia intra trial.

Bird however has been totally shafted, he should be their ahead of Neser and Siddle.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Picking Marsh ahead of Patterson and Neser ahead of Bird are huge errors. Bancroft ahead of Burns is problematic as well but a bit more understandable even if I disagree with it.
Good analysis. Those are the real discrepancies. The rest of the selections are understandable/arguably correct. But there's no way Patterson should have been left out and Marsh & Labuschagne picked.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Some things to ponder in the selection of the 1st Ashes Test

Hazlewood: Last 10 tests he has 31 wkts @ 34.35, best of 3-52, SR of 74.0

Starc: Last 10 tests he has 32 wkts @ 35.21, best of 5-46, SR of 63.4

Siddle: Even though fit, has played only 3 tests in 3 years with 6 wkts @ 44.33, best of 3-58, SR of 102.0

Pattinson: Last 2 FC games he has 15 wkts @ 14.47, best of 6-73, SR of 25.9

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's safe to say that the tests and FC games aren't comparable. I would, however, note that Starc's performance in the warm up was what I expected.

Starfighter

Just realised that Starc has only 32 wickets from the last ten tests including that ten wicket match at Manuka, so he'd taken only 22 from the nine before. That's bad for a guy who for some reason seems to be considered undroppable.

Starc's never really been successful in English conditions as he doesn't land it on the seam (or not very often) and doesn't land it on a good length. Now that he seems to have given up trying to swing the red ball I'd expect that his greatest contribution will be making footmarks for Lyon. If we were getting a flat Oval pitch I'd play him, but surely they have to consider whether he is suitable on softer pitches.

Burgey

I think the whole build up to the series has been suggestive of the fact he's not a lock to play, hasn't it?

Anyway, doesn't Curran bowl left arm? He'll be sending down 30 plus overs per innings to our blokes as they pile on 450-500 in every dig. So there'll be plenty of footmarks for Lyon.

Last edited:

Starfighter

I think the whole build up to the series has been suggestive of the fact he's not a lock to play, hasn't it?
I've been thinking it's Haze they'll leave out if Patto plays. Plus

Anyway, doesn't Curran bowl left arm? He'll be sending down 30 plus overs per innings to our blokes as they pile on 450-500 in every dig. So there'll be plenty of footmarks for Lyon.
Jest aside, I don't really expect them to play five-and-a-half bowlers like they did against Ireland. Looking the Ind and WI series there's Broad and Anderson, and then the spinner's spot taken by Moeen. That leaves the third pacer's spot which will be Archer unless he's unfit, and Stone is a possibility too.

I just realised with a bit of annoyance that the English batting isn't going to be very left-hander heavy like it has been other times.

morgieb

Jest aside, I don't really expect them to play five-and-a-half bowlers like they did against Ireland. Looking the Ind and WI series there's Broad and Anderson, and then the spinner's spot taken by Moeen. That leaves the third pacer's spot which will be Archer unless he's unfit, and Stone is a possibility too.

I just realised with a bit of annoyance that the English batting isn't going to be very left-hander heavy like it has been other times.
Yeah I imagine Starc is ahead of Hazlewood.

Thing is though Starc is the sort of bowler that doesn't need favourable conditions to be a threat (equally means he won't exploit them as well as others). Admittedly it's all white ball stuff but his WC bowling was excellent, whereas Hazlewood has looked really off the boil in the tour matches. Add that Starc can give a bit more variety and seems uniquely placed to exploit an English tail and I'd pick him first.

TheJediBrah

Don't forget Stokes, who is a much better bowler with the red ball than the white. When the ball is moving plenty in the air he's nearly England's best seamer.

Starfighter

Don't forget Stokes, who is a much better bowler with the red ball than the white. When the ball is moving plenty in the air he's nearly England's best seamer.
I'm talking about available spots for Curran (not bowling ability). Stokes' is not one of those regardless.

social

Starc has rarely been one of our 3 most qualified quicks on the rare occasions that we have a full complement to choose from but gets the nod due to variety/x factor/footmarks

Tbf, an attack of Starc/Patto/Cummins/Lyon is pretty good and if he does nothing more than roll over the tail regularly then he will prove valuable

stephen

Yeah I think the big three selection questions will be Bancroft vs Harris, Wade vs Labuschagne and Starc vs Hazelwood.

Warner
Bancroft/ Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Wade/ Labuschagne
Paine+*
Cummins
Pattinson
Starc/Hazelwood
Lyon

Is the 11. Siddle, Neser, Marsh are all obvious bench warmers.

Burgey

As sure as night follows day Marsh will play, especially if Pattinson is picked

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The only squad member that I would be genuinely shocked to see in the XI is Neser.

MitchMarsh would be disappointing, as would be the normal new ball pairing of Hazlewood and Starc both sharing the new duke. Wade would make me slightly uneasy. Siddle would be spine tingling.

Igotfeelings.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly I was skeptical about a Wade recall for a fair while, but on form I think he is likely the best option for 6 in this current squad. I would have picked KPat myself but that wasn't to be. Wouldn't really object to Labuschagne but MMarsh should be nowhere near the XI barring a meteor strike

aussie tragic

International Captain
What if Langer pulls a Renshaw and says Khawaja hasn't had enough match practice. Then we could see Smith, Labuschagne, Head, Wade as the 3-6.

I think that may actually be stronger and Labu can then sink or swim as Khawaja would play in the 3-day game after the 1st test to earn a re-call.