• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
The Bone List (Most likely to least likely to get dropped)
1. Bancroft
2. Siddle (probably unfair)
3. Hazelwood
4. Wade (Because scoring recent tons is meaningless apparently)
5. Head
6. Warner
7. Khawaja
8. Cummins
9. Lyon
10. Paine (should be higher on form)
11. Smith

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only two changes I can see is Patto coming in for Hazlewood/Siddle and Harris in for Bancroft. Wade's century probably buys him another Test, and the others have at least done OK or have seniority.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Next test XI:

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Head
Wade
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

stephen

Warner has managed to be worse than Bancroft, so that's something to consider.
True but you really do hope that Warner will come good - he has runs on the board.

But it is a shame that Burns and Patterson are back home because we could really use them right now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It says a lot just how bad Warner has been in the field too.

He will continue to make runs against weak attacks, good batting conditions but i definitely have questions over his ability and desire these days in conditions that dont suit.

Burgey

Always swings and roundabouts in any test match, but you'd reckon if Smith is fielding on day four, Australia wins the test easily, given the Warner drops off Lyon.

Edit: And I'd definitely be sitting Siddle out next test. His main job is to bowl a lot of overs and tie things up, so if he's being expensive there's frankly little point to him. Sorry N00fers.

Last edited:

wrongun

Banned
It says a lot just how bad Warner has been in the field too.

He will continue to make runs against weak attacks, good batting conditions but i definitely have questions over his ability and desire these days in conditions that dont suit.
Really wonder if they should just ask Warner to turn lose and attack right off the get go. Him trying to block and take the sheen off the new ball clearly isnt working. Doesn't seem to being seeing the ball well.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
My head will explode if I hear somebody from the Australian camp say "we need to preserve the righty/lefty opening combination".

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The thing that counts against Warner is that in this horses-for-courses mindset Australia have adopted, his fairly extensive record in England counts against him. Averages barely 30 from 10 Tests with no centuries so it's not like you can fall back on previous tours to say he should definitely be persisted with.

If Smith is fit you've got to keep Labuschagne in for that effort yesterday so someone has to make way. Bancroft will probably get the chop because he's looked awful and his results are barely better than Warner's but he has hung around a bit at the very least and in a bowler-dominant series that can be something. Also a case could be made for Khawaja being replaced but I think he's made some handy contributions to enable him to survive.

If Smith is fit, I think they'll drop Bancroft but if they stuck by their selection perspective it should be Warner.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Always swings and roundabouts in any test match, but you'd reckon if Smith is fielding on day four, Australia wins the test easily, given the Warner drops off Lyon.

Edit: And I'd definitely be sitting Siddle out next test. His main job is to bowl a lot of overs and tie things up, so if he's being expensive there's frankly little point to him. Sorry N00fers.
I've been dubious about Siddle's selection and I think he showed some of his weaknesses in this Test but he was overall pretty decent I thought and had 3-4 chances missed off his bowling.

Overall, was Hazlewood any better than Siddle this Test? Had a great start but from midway through Day 1 became increasingly innocuous and was basically a non-factor in the 2nd innings and definitely the weakest of the pace bowlers. I think that's been a problem with his bowling for 18 months now, just isn't incisive enough.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Wade
Paine +*
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

I'd love to see us play 5 bowlers, adding Starc to the mix above, but the only way to do that would be to drop Paine and let Wade keep, and Lyon doesn't want that.

stephen

Smith absolutely should not play. No way in hell. Concussions require at least two weeks, though most football codes recommend at least a month. They're serious, they're nasty and they're dangerous.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Smith absolutely should not play. No way in hell. Concussions require at least two weeks, though most football codes recommend at least a month. They're serious, they're nasty and they're dangerous.
Ok. So I guess Labuschagne replaces Smith, and Bancroft gets another test because I doubt they'll make two changes to the batting.

What are people's opinions on Bancroft? Do you see an upside that makes him worth persisting with? He has just looked all at sea this series. Doesn't look anything like an opening batsman you can rely on.

Burgey

Most, if not all, players have default trigger movements, and more often than not, when they're struggling (or nervous - see even TPC in his first 15-20 balls) those movements get exaggerated. Unfortunately for Bancroft, his trigger movement is a biggish step forward and across with his front foot. Because he's struggling, the movement is more pronounced than when he's in form, and it's also heavier, because he's planting the foot and feeling for the ball instead of moving into it. As a result he's having to play around his front pad all the time, even when he wants to play straight, and his bat is coming down at an angle instead of straight. It's almost the opposite of Warner, who's feeling for the ball by going across the crease instead of making a big step (forward or back) and is getting caught on the crease.

What gets me with Bancroft in particular, is there are about 842 support staff and coaches with any given international side, and it seems none of them have thought to work on his trigger movement with him. No evidence at all that they've looked to modify it or to take some steps with him to minimize the size of the step he's putting in. These aren't actually massive deals to fix,. particularly given the amount of cricket and practice these blokes play.

Warner is just out of nick and feeling for the ball instead of having his head still. Bancroft is basically displaying a Gooch 1989 technique, which in this day and age I find incredible given how easy it is to spot and to work on.

Long story short, no I wouldn't stick with him, but the team management will because they seem blind to the obvious fault in his technique.

Last edited:

social

Agreed

It’s hard to see Bancroft scoring any runs & keeping the bowlers at bay for 30 balls is a ****ing low bar for a pass