• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
So you pick a side with only 1 proven test batsman and bat first on a green top??!!
It seems dumb. But then again, this is only a practice game.

Basically Ireland's cup final - but outside of that nobody will even remember this game should England win it - or should England lose it and then go on to win The Ashes.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I couldn't watch the whole thing so was Murtagh bowling hand grenades or did England bomb it?

aussie tragic

International Captain

Basically Ireland's cup final - but outside of that nobody will even remember this game should England win it - or should England lose it and then go on to win The Ashes.
Shame they will look back on the arrogant selection in this game as the reason they lost the ashes then...

hazsa19

International Regular
I always thought there might be a limit to the enjoyment England fans were allowed to have. Turns out it's 10 days.

We've got an opportunity to bat all day tomorrow and get ourselves out of one of those results everyone will bang on about for years to come. If they manage it, and that's a big if, it'll be decent prep for next week.

Got to say though that the team selection was bizarre. I'm all for resting the players that have been rested, but why so many bowlers? Also what is going on with Lords? Was a green seamer this morning and a dry, low one this evening? It's really poor for the 'home of cricket'.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Crap, you have just destroyed an urban myth. I looked this stat up to see if correct and then found that Bradman was caught 39 times out of 70 innings, so more than half. I always heard/read that he hardly ever hit the ball in the air????
I think the distinction would be hardly *tried* to hit the ball in the air. Top/outside edges obviously. Didn't he only hit six sixes in his Test career?

Burgey

Curious attitude.

Burgey

Crap, you have just destroyed an urban myth. I looked this stat up to see if correct and then found that Bradman was caught 39 times out of 70 innings, so more than half. I always heard/read that he hardly ever hit the ball in the air????
He was generally Caught Fatigue, Bowled Exhaustion for about 280 though.

Burgey

probably bettered by only vaughan himself

yjb yet to master that mischievous look at the track tho that makes the viewer think the pitch was playing up rather than the batsman not being up to it
The best example of Vaughan doing that was the first innings of Lord's 05, when he acted as though the ball from McGarth had rolled, but it hit the top of off stump. Which makes sense, given it was day one.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

A practice game!! It's a test at Lord's. Look how many decades it took the likes of NZ and India to win a test there. If the All Blacks (even a C team) lost a test to Italy for example, I'd be absolutely furious.

hazsa19

International Regular
A practice game!! It's a test at Lord's. Look how many decades it took the likes of NZ and India to win a test there. If the All Blacks (even a C team) lost a test to Italy for example, I'd be absolutely furious.
Difference is the All Blacks are one of the most dominant sporting teams of all time.

That being said, it’s wrong to dismiss this fixture. The players who wouldn’t normally expect to play, and the ones that are just starting out, should be treating this as their cup final.

Flem274*

123/5
since anderson is injured england are only missing stokes and buttler from their strongest possible team.

this isn't a practice game, it's a test match and they are deservedly in trouble. comprehensively outclassed on a pitch that isn't that green. it was a 200 deck imo.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Calling this a practice game is literally what a 6 year old would do if he lost to his sibling at ping pong

the big bambino

International Captain
since anderson is injured england are only missing stokes and buttler from their strongest possible team.

this isn't a practice game, it's a test match and they are deservedly in trouble. comprehensively outclassed on a pitch that isn't that green. it was a 200 deck imo.
You'd put back Buttler, Anderson, Stokes, Foakes and Archer into this team. England disgraced themselves today but 5 players will make a difference for the Ashes. It means that one of the titanic deckchairs in the top 3 will go, which is a good thing. Replacing him with one of Bairstow, Root or Stokes will be harder. Atm I'd favour opening with Bairstow if Joe Root doesn't want to play at 3. So Roy Bairstow Denley Root Buttler Stokes Foakes Moeen Woakes Anderson Archer would be my best available Eng XI. Woakes for Broad because #batdeep plus he's probably bowling better anyway (inspite of their respective 1st innings stats today).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd put back Buttler, Anderson, Stokes, Foakes and Archer into this team. England disgraced themselves today but 5 players will make a difference for the Ashes. It means that one of the titanic deckchairs in the top 3 will go, which is a good thing. Replacing him with one of Bairstow, Root or Stokes will be harder. Atm I'd favour opening with Bairstow if Joe Root doesn't want to play at 3. So Roy Bairstow Denley Root Buttler Stokes Foakes Moeen Woakes Anderson Archer would be my best available Eng XI. Woakes for Broad because #batdeep plus he's probably bowling better anyway (inspite of their respective 1st innings stats today).
Archer and Anderson are injured and there's a good chance Foakes won't play anyway, knowing England's selection (Denly has been touted a lot recently for God-knows-what reason). Flem's right it's only Stokes and Buttler they're missing.