• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root: Nothing wrong with being gay

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"Batty boy" has been used as a pejorative term in the UK since the 90s, so if this is what was said it's perhaps not surprising that Root would know it. I remember hearing this regularly when I was in secondary school.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It was but seeing as Joe went to public school, and seems a nice guy, I put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I might be mistaken, but I thought it was legalised in Delhi in 2012 or so?
Part of Section 377 of IPC criminalised homosexuality

2009 -> Delhi High Court said most of Section 377 is unconstitutional
2013 -> Supreme Court said Delhi High Court was wrong and Section 377 is Constitutional. SC wanted the Parliament to remove/amend the law if they want.
2015 -> Shashi Tharoor brings a private members bill in Parliament to change Section 377 in order to decriminalise homosexuality
2016 -> BJP rejects Tharoor's bill in Parliament and sends the ball back to Supreme Court if SC wanted to reconsider its 2013 judgement
2017 -> Supreme Court clarifies (in a case not related to homosexuality) that right to individual privacy is a fundamental right according to the Constitution
6 -Sep-2018 -> Supreme Court at last accepts that its 2017 judgement is in direct contradiction to its 2013 judgement. SC says right to individual privacy is more in line with the Constitution than parts of Section 377. They strike down the part of Section 377 that criminalises homosexuality.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Ban Gabriel for a few ODI's, half his match fee and then we move on. He said something he shouldn't and has been called out for it. Anything more will leave the ICC open to criticism and legal cases that they would probably lose (see Rabada).

Borges

International Regular
Yes. If Gabriel accepts the charge or the umpires concur with the Root narrative, apply the same sanctions as in the case of Sarfraz. It doesn't warrant anything more.

Beamer

Have just heard that Windies are adamant that he said 'little boy' in his mumbly Trini accent and that Root misheard him, hence defending themselves in the hearing. If so and they stick to their guns I don't see how they can charge him as the umpires have admitted they have no proof from the stump mic of what he said.

Beamer

Nah, Gabriel clearly seems to have said something offensive.
Calling Joe Root a little boy (according to the team anyway) is offensive? If that is the position of the team and there is no evidence it was homophobic (which apparently there isn't) , then it is a case of Root's word against Gabriel's so they can't go ahead with charges. This could be quite an interesting case for many reasons including local laws, culture differences on this issue and the fact there doesn't appear to be evidence. Will be fascinated to see what comes out of it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have just heard that Windies are adamant that he said 'little boy' in his mumbly Trini accent and that Root misheard him, hence defending themselves in the hearing. If so and they stick to their guns I don't see how they can charge him as the umpires have admitted they have no proof from the stump mic of what he said.
Gabriel's reaction to what Root said (i.e. looking sheepish, as if he had just realised the possible consequences of what he had (allegedly) said, and hastily muttering "it's not an insult") might do for him I suspect.

Beamer

Gabriel's reaction to what Root said (i.e. looking sheepish, as if he had just realised the possible consequences of what he had (allegedly) said, and hastily muttering "it's not an insult") might do for him I suspect.
That's not permissible though. It wouldn't stand up in court they would be laughed out. I'm not saying it isn't probable that Gabriel said something homophobic, but legally it sounds as if the ICC have no grounds for charges unless he admits it.

Separately, if they start tabling personal abuse charges for the phrase 'little boy' then we might as well ban everyone who ever played test cricket. Lets see what happens. Legally, it is really interesting.

Borges

International Regular
Yes, they should stick to their guns. Propose a reverse charge on Root for fabricating a story and bringing the game into disrepute, I say.