• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Best ODI Team of All Time

cnerd123

likes this
Could pick Dravid at 4 I suppose. Not the best option but not the worst. Don't want to cheat and send Virat to 4 so I can have Ganguly at 3

Viru shouldn't get in this. Didn't perform that great in ODIs, and would be a liability in the field. Too soon to pick Kuldeep/Bumrah/Shami too IMO, but they may get there by the end of their career. Zaheer could swap in for Agarkar

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin
Rohit
Ganguly
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kapil
Kumble
Zaheer
Kuldeep
Bumrah

Truly woeful tail but that's where we're at. I refuse to pick agarkar. He was rubbish. Yes, even in odis.
I'd swap Kohli with Ganguly in that line up tbh. What about Harby for Kuldeep? Bloke has made test tons so adds a bit with the bat if you're worried about the tail. And who was the left arm bloke who was meant to be the real deal pace-wise but ended up injured and out of the side for a while before he came back? Might even have played in the 2011 WC side. Can't remember his name, but he went all right didn't he? Might be a better option than Zaheer (only saying that because people seem to be saying Zaheer was no good in ODIs, I haven't looked up his numbers as I cbf).

OverratedSanity

I'd swap Kohli with Ganguly in that line up tbh. What about Harby for Kuldeep? Bloke has made test tons so adds a bit with the bat if you're worried about the tail. And who was the left arm bloke who was meant to be the real deal pace-wise but ended up injured and out of the side for a while before he came back? Might even have played in the 2011 WC side. Can't remember his name, but he went all right didn't he? Might be a better option than Zaheer (only saying that because people seem to be saying Zaheer was no good in ODIs, I haven't looked up his numbers as I cbf).
Zaheer is there mainly for the 2011 wc where he was amazing.

Don't know which left armer you're thinking of. Maybe munaf but he was right arm rubbish.

vcs

Could pick Dravid at 4 I suppose. Not the best option but not the worst. Don't want to cheat and send Virat to 4 so I can have Ganguly at 3

Viru shouldn't get in this. Didn't perform that great in ODIs, and would be a liability in the field. Too soon to pick Kuldeep/Bumrah/Shami too IMO, but they may get there by the end of their career. Zaheer could swap in for Agarkar
Yes, Dravid is underrated in ODIs. Not far off Ganguly IMO.

vcs

Ajay Jadeja was also a good ODI player. Shame that he and Azhar ruined their legacies.

OverratedSanity

Robin Singh was a thoroughly loveable hack. Had only one shot which was the hoick through mid wicket no matter what delivery was bowled, provided some nice troll smashable medium pace, and always threw himself around in the field.

Burgey

Why not pick someone like Madan Lal or Roger Binny or Shastri and bat them at 8. Would strengthen the tail
Yeah these guys are actually decent shouts tbh. If you're going to have a hypothetical AT ODI team, then your fifth bowler is going to get pongoed into orbit if they're a genuine part timer. Someone like Lal, Binny or Shastri will contribute with the bat down the order and they're capable of bowling the bulk of a ten over spell, so you're only relying on say 2-3 overs max from blokes like Tendulkar who don't bowl that often.

Having said that, if it's a 50/ 50 call between Ganguly and someone else to play as a batsman, I do think Ganguly's medium pacers would get him the nod unless the other bloke was a genuine all rounder.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Robin Singh was a thoroughly loveable hack. Had only one shot which was the hoick through mid wicket no matter what delivery was bowled, provided some nice troll smashable medium pace, and always threw himself around in the field.
Also had a tap to 3rd man shot. So 2 in total.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Sachin
Rohit
Ganguly
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kapil
Kumble
Zaheer
Kuldeep
Bumrah

Truly woeful tail but that's where we're at. I refuse to pick agarkar. He was rubbish. Yes, even in odis.
Almost same as mine, but that Ganguly/Sehwag thing. Ganguly probably the third best ODI batsman ever from India (and surely ahead of Sehwag as far as ODIs are concerned), but my reason of exclusion (at least from the first team) was not his batting ability.

Going with Sehwag on top has an edge. And this batting is strong enough to take that gamble (though I am aware of the fact that his ODI records are no match to his records in the longer format). But if you wanna have him, have him at the top, no point having him at 5. Having Ganguly in Sehwag's place certainly makes the batting stronger, but...

About Agarkar agreed 100%. Didn't expect his name would pop up in this thread.