• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your gutsy calls for 2019

srbhkshk

International Captain
Steyn-Rabada-Ngidi is a deadly combination: easily the best pace combo in the world right now. All of Faf, Amla and QDK are among world's best 10 ODI batsmen. Why are people saying that SA doesn't have the team to win the WC? On paper, I can't think of any team other than England who are ahead ATM.
Steyn and Rabada are deadly test bowlers, in ODIs they are just "Good" bowlers. Faf/Amla/QDK are nowhere close to being top 10 in their current forms.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn-Rabada-Ngidi is a deadly combination: easily the best pace combo in the world right now. All of Faf, Amla and QDK are among world's best 10 ODI batsmen. Why are people saying that SA doesn't have the team to win the WC? On paper, I can't think of any team other than England who are ahead ATM.
Because there is another 5 players; QDK and Amla have been horrifically out of form and we have not got a consistent, decent allrounder which is critical for LO team. You are right if Amla/QDK have a blinder of a WC and we can find 10 overs from somewhere then SA have a shot. But not based on performances from the last 24 months.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If QdK and Amla are in form, they can be a formidable ODI side. India battered them in SA last year but they had a few injuries at that time IIRC and they were up against peak Kohli.

Niall

International Coach
If QdK and Amla are in form, they can be a formidable ODI side. India battered them in SA last year but they had a few injuries at that time IIRC and they were up against peak Kohli.
Amla has never shown up in a world cup so you can ignore him. They are not doomed, but hard to see how they win it without ABDV.

akilana

International 12th Man
Amla has never shown up in a world cup so you can ignore him. They are not doomed, but hard to see how they win it without ABDV.
Like Gilly/Dhoni he was saving his best for the final but SA never got there.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
This is a very good shout, my only concern is England might roll out highways with maybe a little early swing which might neuter Rashid and Mujeeb. If it was being held in Asia, I'd definitely fancy their chances.
I think it's the ICC rather than the hosting board who deal with pitches during international tournaments. If that's true, then the dynamics could change somewhat although I expect the ICC would still want scores of 400.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think it's the ICC rather than the hosting board who deal with pitches during international tournaments. If that's true, then the dynamics could change somewhat although I expect the ICC would still want scores of 400.
I remember morgan being p*ss** off with our own groundsman for producing a slow low scoring pitch in the champions trophy semi. So I think the host country still have control

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
I remember morgan being p*ss** off with our own groundsman for producing a slow low scoring pitch in the champions trophy semi. So I think the host country still have control
Wasn’t this more the fact the pitch had been used previously as opposed to grounds man preparing a slow pitch?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Sam Curran to be dropped by the end of the year.
In football and to Liverpool fans, it's known as the "Macheda". I will be so pissed off if this happens. As crazy as it sounds for a 4-1 series loss, Sam Curran doesn't exist and we win that series.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Wasn’t this more the fact the pitch had been used previously as opposed to grounds man preparing a slow pitch?
Possibly, I can just remember stokes scratching about for about 20 overs barely able to get it off the square and morgan having the hump as he wanted us to be able to stroll out and get 350+ like we did all the other games. Bad attitude to have as you need to be able to adapt to whatever pitch is provided as you won't always be the ones hosting the tournament