• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Woodster

International Captain
It was a quite brilliant spell of fast, hostile bowling from Wood. So pleased that he's still capable of bowling like that, but of course as is the case with him, retaining that level of fitness is always likely to be the big question mark. To be perfectly honest I wasn't sure he still had that type of spell left in him after all the terrible injuries he's sustained.

Absolute joy to watch and as England fans I'm sure we'll be keeping everything crossed that his injuries are behind him and we can enjoy him just letting the ball go at 90+mph for the next 18 months or so. Short spells with the role of running in hard just like yesterday is going to have to be managed very carefully.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
TBF I've seen quite a lot of Wood and have never seen him timed at more than 91mph. In his second spell he'd be down to 84/85mph usually also.

To see him bowling at Starc and Gabriel like speeds was a real shock. Not only that, he was accurate. It was an amazing spell. If he can bowl that fast consistently he might just be my new favourite bowler.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's lengthened his run considerably. Still looked very natural though, didn't look forced at all.
Yeah, the highlights were just put up. His old one was ten steps, his new one sixteen. Looks like he's smoother and straining less than before. I find it a tad odd it was so short to start with, considering chest on bowlers like him tend to generate power from their runup, whereas side on bowlers tend to generate it in the crease so often have slower (and shorter) runs for the same pace.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It was a quite brilliant spell of fast, hostile bowling from Wood. So pleased that he's still capable of bowling like that, but of course as is the case with him, retaining that level of fitness is always likely to be the big question mark. To be perfectly honest I wasn't sure he still had that type of spell left in him after all the terrible injuries he's sustained.

Absolute joy to watch and as England fans I'm sure we'll be keeping everything crossed that his injuries are behind him and we can enjoy him just letting the ball go at 90+mph for the next 18 months or so. Short spells with the role of running in hard just like yesterday is going to have to be managed very carefully.
It should help that, for England, he's part of a 5 man attack. I look forward to seeing the highlights, as I didn't catch any of yesterday's play live. He can stay fit and bowl those kind of spells with any regularity, then the world's looking a better place today. Interesting to read the comments about his new run-up.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It wasn't just the pace, those were good nuts even 10Km/h slower. The nick to Bravo in particular left him ded, had to play at it.

Was just a ****ing excellent spell. I'm not surprised changing his run-up has helped, it changed Mitchell Johnson's life. Crucial part of being a quick, almost as much as what you actually send down.

Cow

Banned
St Lucia looks fecking great btw. If there was surf in the carribean it would be the best place on the planet.

S.Kennedy

Nobody cares what he has done for Durham, we want England to win not a minor county in the bottom half of div 2.
The point I was trying to make though is that people here kept saying ''Wood was rubbish'' yet even the merest glance at his county form would have told them that he is indeed an extremely quick and high quality bowler who has not performed for England because he hasn't had a consistent injury free run of form. I've been saying this for ages but everybody kept saying I was an idiot as per usual who knew nothing about cricket.

I have seen many devastating approx 94 mph spells for Durham. He was probably at his peak around 2013-15 before he had this run of devastating injuries. Heck, there was even one on television, v Joe Root in the Twenty20 Blast semi-final (2016 if memory serves). He made Joe Root look like Glenn McGrath.

People would see these cricketers before England contention and actually know ''stuff'' about them if they followed the county game more closely, rather than ''oh, who's this wanker. I've never seen him before''.

Beamer

The point I was trying to make though is that people here kept saying ''Wood was rubbish'' yet even the merest glance at his county form would have told them that he is indeed an extremely quick and high quality bowler who has not performed for England because he hasn't had a consistent injury free run of form. I've been saying this for ages but everybody kept saying I was an idiot as per usual who knew nothing about cricket.

I have seen many devastating approx 94 mph spells for Durham. He was probably at his peak around 2013-15 before he had this run of devastating injuries. Heck, there was even one on television, v Joe Root in the Twenty20 Blast semi-final (2016 if memory serves). He made Joe Root look like Glenn McGrath.

People would see these cricketers before England contention and actually know ''stuff'' about them if they followed the county game more closely, rather than ''oh, who's this wanker. I've never seen him before''.
Agree with your general point but I've actually watched quite a lot of him whenever television appearances allowed and I've never seen him anywhere near 94 mph. County games don't have speed guns either. I'm sure he has been quick before but that pace was surely more than even you could have expected. I thought he could touch 90 occasionally which in the county game is lightening fast.

I can't wait for the second innings to see if this is Mark Wood 2.0 or if the heavens happened to align for him yesterday.

Beamer

Back to thoughts on yesterday, I was disappointed with how Keemo Paul batted. He has descended into T20 slogging due to a few successful innings, but he has the technique to play proper innings and has an excellent FC ton under his belt. He needs to do better.

wicketmaiden

Cricket Spectator
Just seen the score overnight. How was Wood's spell? Was it brilliant bowling or subpar batting - or the most likely option - a bit of both?

Borges

International Regular
I can't wait for the second innings to see if this is Mark Wood 2.0 or if the heavens happened to align for him yesterday.
Mark wood 2.0 is what the more sagacious denizens of CricketWeb would pronounce as a moderate upgrade over Mark 1.
He should be able to have a lot of fun in the second innings too.

Nobody listens to this Kennedy; nobody, not even those who claim to be England fans, follows Kennedy's county cricket; to their detriment, I might add.
Look at this ignorant Cow, for example.