• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mulvantrai Himmatlal "Vinoo" Mankad vs Ravindrasinh Anirudhsinh "Ravi" Jadeja

Who was the better All-Rounder?

• Total voters

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mulvantrai Himmatlal "Vinoo" Mankad vs Ravindrasinh Anirudhsinh "Ravi" Jadeja

Battle of India's premier left arm all rounders.

Mankad played 44 tests and Jadeja has now played 39. It can be safely said that Vinoo was the better test batsman, having scored 5 centuries as an opening batsman for India, including a double hundred, although Jadeja has a better FC record with multiple triple centuries. It can also be safely said that Jadeja has the better bowling record, especially in India.

Who's the better all rounder?

sunilz

International Regular
Jadeja has won India more matches. Has been our no.1 spinner since chennai test against England.

cnerd123

likes this
Vinoo Mankad IMO. Far superior bat without being much further behind with the ball - keeping in mind he didn't have as helpful conditions at home as Jadeja, and also bowled as part of a weaker attack, taking on the stock/holding bowler role in unfavourable conditions a lot.

mr_mister

I agree with *****. Jadders ain't getting two test doubles

But statistically he will end up far superior

cnerd123

likes this
well tbf if Jadeja keeps up his current level of performance for a few more years, and adds in some good away performances, I wouldn't mind rating him above Vinoo. It's just that it then becomes a case of Batting Allrounder in a Weak Team vs Bowling Allrounder in a Strong Team. Hard comparison to make, but doable.

At the moment Jadeja's body of work with the ball doesn't outdo Vinoo's by enough of a margin to overcome the clear gap in their batting performances.

fredfertang

A particularly tricky comparison - in his time Vinoo carried the whole team, whereas Jadeja, quality player that he may be, isn't even sure of his place

harsh.ag

Mankad fits in very well in the Indian all time XI

Vinoo
Kapil
Ashwin
Kumble
Srinath/Zaheer/Shami etc

is a varied attack with good batting depth.

cnerd123

likes this
I just can't bring myself to pick Ashwin in the ATG XI

Vinoo the AR and left arm spinner, Chandra/Gupte/Kumble the lead legspinner, and one offspinner -if needed- from Prassana/Venkat/Bhajji

I suppose Ashwin is good enough to get in over those three.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mankad was the first bloke picked. Jadeja is the first bloke omitted. Which pretty much tells you Mankad wins this.

Burgey

I just can't bring myself to pick Ashwin in the ATG XI

Vinoo the AR and left arm spinner, Chandra/Gupte/Kumble the lead legspinner, and one offspinner -if needed- from Prassana/Venkat/Bhajji

I suppose Ashwin is good enough to get in over those three.
Are you going to play all your matches at home? Because three spinners seems a tad extravagant if you’re touring SA, England, NZ and Australia tbh.

mr_mister

This first bloke picked first bloke omitted argument is clearly flawed

India had hardly any good players in Mankads time and now they're full of them

Burgey

Whereas now you’re full of it. Mankad easily. You don’t Jadeja a batsman when you run him out at the non strikers end do you?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Mankad wins this for me. The second greatest all rounder in Indian history. Jadeja is not too far behind though. If he can keep doing this home bullying plus some good performances abroad like the recent one in England, he will end up higher than Mankad.

My all time indian XI will look like this.

Gavaskar
Mankad
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Laxman
Dhoni
Hurricane(first name to be picked)
Kumble
Srinath
Zaheer

trundler

That attack would struggle to pick up 20 wickets against any decent batting order though.