• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When do runs become important, and is this different to clutch?

chasingthedon

International Regular
'Clutch' is a term used widely in the American sports media to define those situations in a match when a higher than usual level of intestinal fortitude is necessary - or as we English might say, squeaky bum time (SBT).

A discussion on the forum following my feature on batting impact, notably highlighting Tom Graveney and Hanif Mohammad, which chiefly involved, myself, Bolo and Starfighter, regarding whether or not the phenomenon of 'clutch' ability even existed and could be shown objectively, or was it simply 'a spurious [concept] founded on subjective impressions', as Starfighter put it.

I have spent some time in the ensuing months trying to get to the bottom of this, however I'm having some trouble deciding on what exactly a 'clutch' situation is in Test cricket. I do have a database which includes all of the FOWs from the first Test in 1877 to Test number 2310 or so, from which the win probability (WP) can be determined for any given situation. The difficulty is determining which of the many situations is a clutch situation, or SBT. I can base this on WP, but I would like to get a feel for how the forum sees it.

Initially I split the various match situations into easy (70%-100% WP), neutral (30%-70%) and tough (0%-30% WP). However, in situations like Botham at Headingley '81 and Nathan Astle in 2002, they had both stated that they felt there wasn't much pressure, i.e. nothing to lose by going for it.

So I changed the lower cut-off to 10%. By the way, these cut-off values aren't arbitrary, rather they're based on looking at the various situations at those percentages and discerning how I thought a batsman would consider the situation from an SBT point of view. The problem with excluding the lower WP value performances is that, while the give-it-a-go smash-fests are excluded, so are a lot of important knocks, such as Lara's 153* in 1999 and Ranji's 154* in the 1896 Ashes. So I re-assigned the tough category to 0-30%.

Upon further reflection, however, it appeared to me that a batsman would be sufficiently motivated if the match was close or, even, slightly ahead. So I decided then to nominate SBT as 0-60%.

I was also at this point restricting to the team's second innings, or innings three and four. The reasoning behind that was because the system may think that the team batting second was behind in WP if they were following a large total, because early on the system hasn't adjusted to how the pitch is. This resulted in the proportion of SBT runs at something like, for example, 15% for David Warner, who would not be batting with his team behind in WP as often as, say, Mushfiqur Rahim, whose ratio of clutch runs is almost double Warner's at around 29%.

But a close look at the innings which the second innings restriction would exclude meant we would classify an innings like Frank Worrell's 191* carrying his bat in the second innings at Trent Bridge in 1957 as non-clutch.

So where I am now is using performance in all four innings, where the batting team's WP is at less than 60% when the batsman came to the crease, as clutch. This of course means that a significant portion of the batsman's career Test runs are classified as clutch, i.e. as much as 87% for Rahim, but even Warner is at 65%.

So are these runs 'important' runs, rather than 'clutch' runs? Should these be separate categories? Does it seem reasonable that 35% of Warner's runs were less important in terms of contributing to the state of the match, given that the team was already well ahead when he came in?

I await the views of the CW cognoscenti.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you've shown the former [important] yourself, firstly by showing that certain innings that most would definitely consider clutch are excluded, secondly with the WP < 60% probs. I'm guessing Mushi would have high proportion simply because he's one of the best batsmen in a trash team and would regularly be coming in when they are regularly in trouble, while Warner's would be higher because he's an opener, which win being less certain at the start of an innings even if a team is subjectively ahead. That's provided I'm actually getting hold the right end of the stick here.

I think the main time I see 'clutch' used is with respect to players who have scored one or two good innings in ODI tournaments e.g. esp. World Cup semis, and that idea is small-sample bollocks.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's not really what "clutch" is for mine. Seems like you're simply trying to quantify performing when your team is behind in the game. Personally I see clutch as more big (but temporally limited) moments that don't come along all that often.

I wouldn't say it's a big feature in Test cricket in general, and rarely comes about given the extended nature of the contest. More of a limited overs thing. I'd say the end of close games of ODI or T20 matches are almost all clutch moments, obviously depending on the importance of the game.

You can make a 60 ball hundred at the top of the order which clearly contributes more to winning the game, but the guy that makes 15* (10) at the death is the clutch performer (assuming it was a very close finish). It's a different kind of pressure.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clutching, or the lack thereof cost South Africa the '99 World Cup. But you can't see that statistically.

chasingthedon

International Regular
I think you've shown the former [important] yourself, firstly by showing that certain innings that most would definitely consider clutch are excluded, secondly with the WP < 60% probs. I'm guessing Mushi would have high proportion simply because he's one of the best batsmen in a trash team and would regularly be coming in when they are regularly in trouble, while Warner's would be higher because he's an opener, which win being less certain at the start of an innings even if a team is subjectively ahead. That's provided I'm actually getting hold the right end of the stick here.

I think the main time I see 'clutch' used is with respect to players who have scored one or two good innings in ODI tournaments e.g. esp. World Cup semis, and that idea is small-sample bollocks.
Thanks for commenting. No, I think you've grasped it completely, and your explanation of the mechanism behind the proportions is spot on too. I also agree with you on the small sample issue, but there may be something in looking at the important runs across a complete career.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Yeah that's not really what "clutch" is for mine. Seems like you're simply trying to quantify performing when your team is behind in the game. Personally I see clutch as more big (but temporally limited) moments that don't come along all that often.

I wouldn't say it's a big feature in Test cricket in general, and rarely comes about given the extended nature of the context. More of a limited overs thing. I'd say the end of close games of ODI or T20 matches are almost all clutch moments, obviously depending on the importance of the game.

You can make a 60 ball hundred at the top of the order which clearly contributes more to winning the game, but the guy that makes 15* (10) at the death is the clutch performer (assuming it was a very close finish). It's a different kind of pressure.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Clutch is much more suited to small moments in a match, which I think is why it's so popular in baseball, where the potential outcomes are both restricted and instantaneous.

Bolo

State Captain
Trying to differentiate clutch from important is a bit meaningless I think. On what games are important, the only thing I can think of that would produce a sample of any meaning would be to underweight dead rubbers.

Warner creates a bit of an issue as presented. You don't want to mark a player down simply because he is playing in a stronger team. Is it possible to get around this by comparing his performances to himself? Don't look at his unimportant runs by themself but rather look at how heavily he scored when runs were important?