• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sean Ervine announces retirement

Scallywag

Banned
ash chaulk said:
Could we see WA turning into the "old" zimbabwean Team or even south australia.

only cos they have goodwin and flower in there teams... i know id go were my mates are.

and i heard in the news that irvine is going to western australia to try for a contract
Goodwin is a Western Australian boy and played all his junior cricket in Bunbury which is 2 hours South of Perth, his Father came from Zim thus giving him Zim citizenship. When Murry left Zim he was in effect going home.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ervine has said he would like to play for Australia one day if he is good enough so we may yet see him again in International cricket if he is good enough.

And lets face it you dont have to be that great an allrounder to make the aussie team but he would still need to wait 4 years to be eligable.

Craig

World Traveller
Scallywag said:
Goodwin is a Western Australian boy and played all his junior cricket in Bunbury which is 2 hours South of Perth, his Father came from Zim thus giving him Zim citizenship. When Murry left Zim he was in effect going home.
I believe he was born there.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
All the best ones come from Bunbury... :D

Sad for Ervine, but I think it will be better for him playing with a team in Australia. His talent will shine, and I think will be better appreciated.
One thing I worry about with Mr Ervine is the fact that he was quoted in the paper as saying Perth is 'the best place he's travelled too'.
The boy is deluded.

deeps

International 12th Man
i was in the same year at the same high school as his girlfriend mellissa... Seen him around a few times, he's a great guy and helped coach my little brother's cricket team...

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Ervine has said he would like to play for Australia one day if he is good enough so we may yet see him again in International cricket if he is good enough.

And lets face it you dont have to be that great an allrounder to make the aussie team but he would still need to wait 4 years to be eligable.
it depends on what you call an all rounder.....ervine's bowling isnt good enough to grant him a place in the zim side let alone the australian side.

deeps

International 12th Man
he is a better bowler than symonds..and a better batsman than harvey...and better than watson as a bowler as well.... so he would b in the mix as the al rounder for aus.

i'd even go as far as to say he's a more reliable batsman than symonds

Wazim

School Boy/Girl Captain
nt currently, symo is in the form of his life, and dont get too exicted...i think symo is more consisent..but i do think he is better than harvey, and if he worked hard enough he could make the aus team

KANYE WEST

Cricket Spectator
dont cry keep your head your head up

look all the best cricketers in the world are zimbabwean born it is a shame to see them playing for other countries but hey we dont blame them seems like yesterday when we where singing and huging when zim demolished england in 95/96 test series in harare i was a boy then but knew that cricket had brought a nation together now all i can say is that a great nation has been destroyed i shall never forget the seventeen years i spent in zim and at 22 now dont look forward to going back home at all actually i am stuck in england withe the bad weather now rip dzimba dzamabwe..ex bulldog in mourning

Loony BoB said:
HA!

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/ZIM/E/ERVINE_SM_09010422/

His last three innings were all 50's and although he's not so big as to be given world-class status, he's still probably one of the top 3-5 players in Zimbabwe. Or was. So yes, it is a big deal. A very big deal, because without him, Zimbabwe have even less hope for keeping a test side in the world. He was an important player for Zimbawe's future, and was proving his worth against top teams on the international scene.

Ervine left while ranked 10th in the all-time Zimbabwe ODI batting averages list and although he had not completed his 20 innings to qualify for the test list, if he kept his current average he would be listed as fourth in the all-time Zimbabwe Test batting averages list.

EDIT: To say Streak is mediocre is pretty harsh. To say that Zimbabwe are not as good as the rest of the test nations is fair - although they have been ranked higher than NZ (and England?) at one point and they were also ahead of Bangladesh until the "rebels" left the squad over racism. And yes it is a big deal in international cricket, and they are most certainly NOT doing any of this for money - did Ervine make some massive statement? No. He wrote a letter and was spotted at an airport. Yes, clearly that's making a very, very big deal! Oh ho ho. Also, to say that the rebels are getting more publicity than they deserve is sad, ignorant and narrow minded. This is - er, was - one of the top ten nations in the world of an international game that has lasted over a century. They are sacrificing their international game, they are risking more than anyone else is, they are not doing this to gain, they are diong all of this so they can break even - because the position they were originally in was not an even position.

Craig

World Traveller
According to today's paper he is going to committ himself to Australian cricket and is going to enter talks with WA about a contract and seek citizinship (obviously I'm talking about Ervine).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
KANYE WEST said:
look all the best cricketers in the world are zimbabwean born
Erm, no they're not!

KANYE WEST said:
seems like yesterday when we where singing and huging when zim demolished england in 95/96 test series in harare
I don't recall that...

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
According to today's paper he is going to committ himself to Australian cricket and is going to enter talks with WA about a contract and seek citizinship (obviously I'm talking about Ervine).
I thought we already knew this? :blink:
Anyway, he's all over the sports news and Langer seems to like the idea...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
i was in the same year at the same high school as his girlfriend mellissa... Seen him around a few times, he's a great guy and helped coach my little brother's cricket team...
Isn't Mellisa daughter of Geoff Marsh, Former Aussie Cricketer/coach and current coach of Zimbabwe ??

Good on him, but he's going to need to improve a lot to make it there. As far as I'm concerned he was a star in the Zimbabwean team, but he's not good enough for the Aussie team just yet.

Its really sad that Zimbabwe had to lose so many good players. Although, I must admit that I am impressed with the way the new players have stepped into the breech. They're not the greatest, but some of them have shown talent and grit (Taylor), and they managed to avoid being a complete joke against Australia.