• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the best test spinner ever (50 names, but you only submit a list of 20)

steve132

U19 Debutant
Warne
Murali
O'Reilly
Grimmett
Verity
Laker
Rhodes
Benaud
Kumble
Gibbs
Tayfield
Trumble
Bedi
Underwood
Gupte
Blythe
Chandrasekhar
Ramadhin
Ashwin
Saqlain

This is much harder than compiling a list of greatest ever fast bowlers.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Murali
2. O'Riely
3. Jim Laker
4. Warne
5. Grimmett
6. Chandrashekar
7. Kumble
8. Saqlain
9. Underwood
10. Verity
11. Prasanna
12. Tayfield
13. Herath
14. Bedi
15. Gibbs
16. Shakib
17. Swann
18. Gupte
19. Kaneria
20. Ashwin

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Murali
2. O'Riely
3. Jim Laker
4. Warne
5. Grimmett
6. Chandrashekar
7. Kumble
8. Saqlain
9. Underwood
10. Verity
11. Prasanna
12. Tayfield
13. Herath
14. Bedi
15. Gibbs
16. Shakib
17. Swann
18. Gupte
19. Kaneria
20. Ashwin
Yeah, we know your inclusion of Warne was as forced as TJB picking Murali. :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Murali
Warne
O'Reilly
Barnes
Gupte
Chandra
Grimmett
Laker
Kumble
Benaud
Saqlain
Swann
Bedi
Tayfield
Rhodes
Ashwin
MacGill
Verity
Gibbs
Underwood

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it odd that some people have put Murali really low on their list. Is it something to do with his action? If it is, why wouldn't you leave him off entirely on principle?

If you have no problem with his action, surely he is top 5?
Identify outliers! decide wether to keep them or not.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think Tiger was especially condition reliant, I mean. Relative to other great spinners. The other spinners of his time feasted heavily on SA. O'Reilly has a great record against England, better than Grimmett. Guy troubled Hammond and even Bradman to a great extent. Pitches may have been more helpful generally but O'Reilly succeeded even when not, as my example pointed out. Both Warne and Murali got a royal thrashing by Lara and Sachin from time to time but Tiger had more success against the best bats.
Having said that, Kumble never got a royal thrashing from any one. Guy troubled Lara to great extent, and even Tendulklar was not the most fluent against him. Same with Saqlain (the Shewag thrashing of a half fit Saqlain don't count), never had a thrashing. But when they were not in zone everyone scored off them. When they were in zone, even the best found it very difficult.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cool. How did McGrath jump to #1. IIRC Murali and Ambrose were top 2 in earlier versions of your ranking.
A combination of it more accurately rating the strength of opposition batting lineups, and it now having some sort of offset for the estimated 'flatness' of pitches when batting or bowling at home (eg. it's decided McGrath bowled on comparatively flat pitches at home a fair bit, it seems).

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Warne and Imran both ended up in the top five after the next major formula update, but that one is a lot of work so you may not see it for a while. It'd blow my mind a bit if I accidentally made a statistical case for Warne being better than Murali after years arguing the opposite on here, but I don't suspect it'll actually quite go that far.

Last edited:

morgieb

Murali
Warne
O'Reilly
Grimmett
Tayfield
Benaud
Underwood
Laker
Gibbs
Kumble
Verity
Gupte
Chandrasekhar
Herath
Rhodes
Prassana
Briggs
Trumble
Vettori
MacGill

Outside the first four or five the order is kinda variable.

Last edited:

trundler

Murali
Warne
O'Reilly
Grimmett
Tayfield
Benaud
Underwood
Laker
Gibbs
Kumble
Verity
Gupte
Chandrasekhar
Herath
Rhodes
Prassana
Lyon
Briggs
Trumble
Vettori

Outside the first four or five the order is kinda variable.
No way Herath is that low. I'd argue Herath>Underwood based on strike rate and quality of pitches.

trundler

But it's a huge gap certainly beyond just era differences. Herath has a fantastic strike rate. It is much more glaring than their differences in economy rates for one, which can be ascribed to different eras. I'd say it's not as big a difference as raw stats suggest but Herath still wins.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There were actually batsmen who could defend in Underwood's time. Strike rate = unreliable.
The batsmen any bowler faced were also product of the prevailing conditions so I don't think we can make such adjustments. And your argument is the reverse of what we usually say... conditions have been batting friendly in recent decade and a half.

morgieb

No way Herath is that low. I'd argue Herath>Underwood based on strike rate and quality of pitches.
To me Herath got lucky in that when spots started opening up spin bowling became a lot easier than what it was from about 1980 up until 2010. Over the last 10 years DRS became a factor (so more LBW's were given and it became tougher to out and out play spin), defensive techniques have gone to the dogs and pitch standards have declined a bit too.

He's still a very good bowler, but I feel if he was 10 years older (and was playing for someone else) he wouldn't be rated as highly, for mine.