• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular bowler for a top side

Jack1

International Debutant
Ian Salisbury

woooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Well done!

This is 15 tests, 20 wickets at a fraction under 77!

Ian Salisbury | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo
Looks like he takes it then. In my head he only played 4-5 tests. It's probably because he took so few wickets I forgot he played so much! Especially when Schofield only played two tests.

Giles can't be impressed with my comments compared to Salisbury. England were stronger though when Giles played. That was what I was getting at as the title says "top side"

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah. So why on earth would I do that? I mean, in literal terms, I think I would be a lot happier not doing that.
Sip your wine, wear your sweater and drive your volvo and be happy. Get one of those tweed sportscoats with leatherpatches over where the elbow is.

I'm a fan of flat caps myself.

I'm not here to upset you.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He came to mind for me first. ***** however has spotted Sami's horrendous 52.74 average from 36 tests.

An interesting thing about Sami is the split year by year. He started off promisingly in his first few tests, then it all went downhill for him.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

He averages 63.67 in Asia...horrible reading for him..
I apologise for mentioning Powell. It’s an unfortunate but worthwhile by-product of having ***** blocked.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sip your wine, wear your sweater and drive your volvo and be happy. Get one of those tweed sportscoats with leatherpatches over where the elbow is.

I'm a fan of flat caps myself.

I'm not here to upset you.
I didn't think so either but yet here we are.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
look if this is going to descend into a basic 'all finger spinners suck heu heu heu' meme thread then I'm going to start talking about this delicious Hainanese Chicken and Rice I had for lunch instead

Botha was (and still is) an absolutely quality limited overs spinners and Ojha was very very good for us in Tests. Both had dodgy actions, granted, but there have been a lot worse.

Paul Harris a good shout actually. Basically a less good Giles/Boje. Did a really good job tho. I was a fan.
Yup, I'd agree with that. Face you'd never tire of punching, too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well; its no Godwin's law, but you are venturing close to Al Gore's territory if its people making the atmosphere toxic for your surivival.
I don't want to be in any territory with Al Gore. He is a useful use case for illustrating my point.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
In Sami's defense,

If you look at the breakdown of wickets taken by him according to the batting order,

45.5% were top order batsmen (Anderson - 37.6%, Akram - 31.9%, Imran Khan - 35.4% and Ambrose - 36.3%).

33.9% were middle order batsmen

while just 20.7 % were tailenders. (Anderson - 25%, Akram - 35%, Imran Khan - 28.7% and Ambrose - 27.7%)

Its pretty weird, although there isn't a significant difference, but he has a comparatively higher percentage of top order wickets and lower percentage of wickets from tailenders. I am not saying that he was really good in tests, he was average, but he wasn't as bad as the numbers suggest. Not good, but "better than what his stats suggested".

And he was right:
Pak news: 'I am better than my stats suggest' - Mohammad Sami | Cricket | ESPNcricinfo

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You know someone is an asshole when they start saying how great they are despite a mountain of empirical evidence to the contrary.

Fair enough if someone else is saying it about you I guess, but if you yourself start to say how amazing you are despite your frankly horrible stats then you're a total ballbag.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
You know someone is an asshole when they start saying how great they are despite a mountain of empirical evidence to the contrary.

Fair enough if someone else is saying it about you I guess, but if you yourself start to say how amazing you are despite your frankly horrible stats then you're a total ballbag.
He never said he was "great", Sami just pointed out that his stats were misleading (and that he wanted a few more opportunities) and that can be the case a lot of times. He was average at best in his test career, but the stats make him look like the worst bowler of all time, which he isn't.

Last edited: