• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world ODI XI game

cnerd123

likes this
I mean, I can see how he comes to those view points, and he won't be the only one who thinks of Indian cricket that way, so it's not completely terrible thinking.

It's just focusing on evidence that supports that hypothesis whilst overlooking the evidence that goes against it - things like how the BCCI schedule more Tests than anyone else, the recent work they have put in to improving Domestic cricket with the aim of improving their Test team's performances overseas, the years of investment into trying to identify and develop young fast bowlers that has now lead to a stronger than ever pace attack with exciting U-19 prospects, and the dropping of statistically superior players while guys like Ishant and Rohit continue to get picked for Tests (urgh)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean, I can see how he comes to those view points, and he won't be the only one who thinks of Indian cricket that way, so it's not completely terrible thinking.

It's just focusing on evidence that supports that hypothesis whilst overlooking the evidence that goes against it - things like how the BCCI schedule more Tests than anyone else, the recent work they have put in to improving Domestic cricket with the aim of improving their Test team's performances overseas, the years of investment into trying to identify and develop young fast bowlers that has now lead to a stronger than ever pace attack with exciting U-19 prospects, and the dropping of statistically superior players while guys like Ishant and Rohit continue to get picked for Tests (urgh)
Yeah I do think that Indian cricket is mostly headed in the right direction and the lax attitude of the past is slowly dying thanks to the influence of Kohli. It doesn't change the past though.

Anyway, I'll shut up about it now. I've admitted my own biases and why I have them. Time for others to admit theirs. And more to the point, time to move on to picking the A team.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Yeah I do think that Indian cricket is mostly headed in the right direction and the lax attitude of the past is slowly dying thanks to the influence of Kohli. It doesn't change the past though.

Anyway, I'll shut up about it now. I've admitted my own biases and why I have them. Time for others to admit theirs. And more to the point, time to move on to picking the A team.

Nick Knight should open the Batting!

There, I said it!

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
... btw, I do think hero worship and unwillingness to change has damaged Indian cricket over the years, yes.

But not nearly as badly as their pace attacks have

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
1. Anwar
2. Tendulkar
3. Kohli
4. Viv
5. De Villiers
6. Bevan/Hussey
7. Dhoni+
8. Akram
9. Garner
10. Murali
11. McGrath

Bit bowler-lite admitted.

Dependent on Viv, Tendulkar and Bevan (he probably squeezes past Hussey) teaming up to knock over 10 overs between them

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I didn't vote for two of those players and justified why I voted for Symonds.

And besides, Lee was a gun ODI cricketer as was M Waugh, who averaged 44 opening the batting. Not too far behind Tendulkar, who averaged 48 and he's everyone's first choice.

Now I'm not saying that Waugh is on Tendulkar's level. I'm not saying he belongs in the first or second teams. All I ever said was that he was a better pure ODI batsman than Jayasuria.

On Lee: he averaged 23.36, took 380 wickets and had an average under 30 against all but Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. I don't rate him much in tests but he's right up there at ODI level. Remarkably similar stats to Waqar who most rate in the top few ODI bowlers of all time. I could see why he gets votes, especially since he was a very good lower order hitter as well.
Mark Waugh was a good player. I called out bull**** troll post on the Mark Waugh call (not by you) because seriously? The first name on the list was Gilchrist, and the ONE batsman in the world you'd want opening with Gilchrist is ****ing Mark ****ing Waugh? Bull ****ing ****.

That's like saying when doing an All Time Test XI, with one choice already taken up, your next choice for opener would be Alastair ****ing Cook.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
DeVilliers- 14

Dhoni - 5

Abbas - 1

Bevan - 7

Lara - 1

Symonds -1

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
World ODI First XI

Adam Gilchrist +
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli
AB DeVilliers
Michael Bevan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

First XI concludes as such. Now to move onto the Second XI.

- Please select your wicketkeeper

- Please select two opening bowlers

stephen

Dhoni

Hadlee
Ambrose

So many options for the bowler spots - Pollock, Donald, Waqar, Holding, Lee, Imran. Eventually settled on Hadlee and Ambrose. Hadlee was a complete gun with the ball and is a luxury to have at 8. Ambrose was capable of the most unplayable spells of ODI fast bowling. Don't tell him to take off his sweat bands!

stephen

I'm a little surprised at all of the Pollock love. He was a great bowler and a more than capable batsman but one feels that there were better ODI quicks to take the new ball.

Anyway if Pollock and Warne are selected that let's us pick up Donald as the first change, which he was extremely well suited to.

stephen

I'm also surprised that there aren't any votes for Waqar yet. He was an amazing bowler for a very long time. One of the top tier ODI bowlers.