View Poll Results: Based on this hypothetical, Should Smith be considered the 2nd Greatest Test bat?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 16.67%
  • No

15 83.33%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The 'real' Steven Smith question...

TNT
    Banned
    No one is more real than Ponting.

Ponting on ... telling his father he was going to retire

I rang Dad, who was watching a Twenty20 Big Bash game on the television. "G'day Dad," I said. "What are you doing?"

"I'm watching blokes make runs, something you haven't been doing lately!" he quipped.

International Debutant S.Kennedy's Avatar
    His father sounds like a dick.
    Future Proof

Smith's decline will be a steep one IMO. He relies heavily on his incredible hand-eye coordination. Once his eyes start detoriating, he won't be able to score as heavily because of his technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Smith's decline will be a steep one IMO. He relies heavily on his incredible hand-eye coordination. Once his eyes start detoriating, he won't be able to score as heavily because of his technique.
    This can easily be corrected by having bionic eyes.
    zorax likes this.

What exactly is wrong with Smith's technique?

Unorthodox does not mean bad.
    Coronis, JBMAC and anil1405 like this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

TNT
    Banned
    I would have thought that every batsman relies on hand-eye coordination. Which type of batsmen can score heavily after their eyes detoriate?.

I read somewhere that when Bradman was tested for the army they found he had poor eyesight!

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    hmmm, his test retirement basically happened because he didn't want get dropped like he did from the ODI team. it's a classic case of a retirement being selfish imo
    I meant that he could have retired at the height of his powers but continued because he was still needed regardless of the damage to his stats

When you play 168 tests I wouldn't attack him for wanting to call time on his own career
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    I read somewhere that when Bradman was tested for the army they found he had poor eyesight!
    Neil Harvey had his eyes tested on a tour in SA and the optometrist asked him who leads him out to bat. #bloodyhopeless
    Last edited by Burgey; 23-12-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    That Howie Games hour or so podcast from last year with Ponting was brilliant. There were a few insights into his retirement on that too. He mentioned ideally retiring after 100 tests but was right into getting the most he could out of the new team after McGrath, Warne, Martyn, Gilly, Langer and Hayden went. Like he felt it would have been the wrong thing to leave at the same time. Itís a great interview if anyone hasnít listened to it.
    GotSpin likes this.

I wonder if he retires had Australia won the 2009 Ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Neil Harvey had his eyes tested on a tour in SA and the optometrist asked him who leads him out to bat. #bloodyhopeless
    Funny you should mention Harvey, not to perpetuate the thought but didn't he start out bloody ridiculous and have a bit of a decline too?
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. Richard Hadlee 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    I don't think there's any truth to this whatsoever. There's no reason to think he relies on hand eye coordination more than anyone else. This is a weird assumption that keeps getting perpetuated.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Sehwag is someone who was always going to struggle more than most (and did) when his eyes started to decline slightly.

Not so sure about Smith, because he does actually use his feet quite well, even if he is unorthodox. I assume you're predominately referring to his taking balls from off-stump through mid-wicket, and that is possibly one area he might have to work on as his eyes start to decline even marginally so.

I used to think the same about his namesake Graeme Smith, who used to make a living taking balls from off-stump through mid-wicket, but he began to play marginally straighter as he aged. I'm guessing Smith will make that slight adjustment to.

I think it's important to watch Steve Smith's position when he's actually striking the ball, as opposed to his preamble. On hitting the ball he actually gets himself surprisingly orthodox positions.

Maybe he should just wear glasses to compensate? Just a thought!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information