cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: The lack of competitiveness of Test teams away from home

International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    I read somewhere that that UAE bootcamp had grounds of all types so you could practice for wherever you were going. Did I read right that they even had English like pitches? Those boot camps could be a real thing, but they still take time and not everyone has weeks to spare before a tour with the crammed schedule of everything.
    Last edited by Victor Ian; 02-01-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    One problem of having ODIs and T20s before the start of the Tests is that teams usually have some sort of focused preparation for tests right before a tour, and once you play the ODIs your preparation is likely to be disrupted. Imagine if Australia did all the hard work in UAE then rocked up to India and played their trademark 350 v 350 type ODI series. In 2 weeks they'd forget everything they learnt.

Wonder what it's like in reality for the players though. I imagine some would be quite comfortable switching from format to format.
    zorax likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Yeah that's why its a thing of the past now. Most tours are going to be split between Tests and LOs. Good decision IMO
    zorax likes this.
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I also think ODIs before the series makes for a really good appetiser sometimes. I remember really enjoying the 2005 tri-series before the Ashes for exactly taht reason.
    Oddly enough everyone always forgets there was a 3 match bilateral series between England and Australia after the tri series.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    I'm not sure that there's necessarily a trend of teams doing worse away from home either. Ignoring South Africa, Australia have lost 1 home series in a quarter of a century, India lose **** all at home, South Africa routinely smash visiting sides not named Australia or England. Reckon series these days seem more one sided because you get less draws, back in the good old days you might lose a 4 or 5 Test away series 1 or 2-0, now with all the Tests seeing results you get 3 and 4-0 defeats.
    To add to this, I think things feel worse now because we're coming off a 10-15 year period where we had:

An ATG Australian side that smashed everyone, everywhere.
    A great South African side that didn't lose an away series for 10 years.
    Possibly England's greatest ever modern day side which between the 2009 and 2013 Ashes won in Australia and India and drew in South Africa
    India's best ever side which was competitive in Australia (drew in 03/04 and lost 2-1 in 07/08), won a series in England and drew in South Africa.

All of the above sides would hammer their present day counter parts.

Cricketer Of The Year TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Oddly enough everyone always forgets there was a 3 match bilateral series between England and Australia after the tri series.
    I'll never forget it. One of the 3 games was on the day of the 2005 tube bombings and I was stuck in a hotel room because London was in lockdown.

International Regular S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Daemon, vogue and harsh.ag like this.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Had no idea they had bounce/swing/seam stats. That's great data. Wonder what else they have that isn't public.

Ed Smith is bang on the money in that article. Despite what they say about win/loss stats not changing much lately, Test Cricket is more predicatable now than at any other time Iíve been watching. Admittedly thatís only really been since the late 90s.

And itís not just sour grapes regarding England. I love watching Broad humiliate the crims at TB as much as the next English cricket fan, or as much as an Aussies loves watching Smith pile on the runs at Brisbane. But such one sided affairs arenít gonna win new fans, they wonít convince those who prefer LO stuff that this is the height of the game.

Canít see it changing anytime soon either. Think itís more to do with a lack of quality than anything else. Think Aus have the best chance of bucking this trend over the coming years, especially in the 2019 Ashes. Smith, Hazlewood and Cummins vs a declining Jimmy Broad and Cook might just be enough.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information