• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's reputation in tatters? Check this out.

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lots of people are losing their respect for Murali because he continues bowling the doosra. I must admit, I did too. However this latest leaked official report reveals a very different story.

READ IT AT

http://www.hindu.com/2004/04/29/stories/2004042905562200.htm

If I was Murali and I saw this report I wouldn't stop the doosra either. Its as categoric as possible. The panel of biomechanics experts who tested him unanimously agreed that he isn't cheating.

This article is also very interesting:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/24/1082719673975.html

"To say that the report suggests a change of the rules just to accommodate Murali is wrong."

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah if he can get away with it, he might as well. If he hasnt proved to be throwing it then he should continue bowling it.

Waughney

International Debutant
He should be able to keep bowling it until more research has been put into spin bowling and until they create a database of bowlers of all styles.

DT8

uhuh

Yeah this is what i'm thinking also. As I said, if I was him i'd keep bowling it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
if he bowls it in a game he should be banned for 3 months, a second offence a tyear and a 3rd banned for life... the ICC need to get serious with this or they will ruin the game of cricket as we know it

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

I'm not against a study that may/may not eventuate in the rules being changed. But according to the CURRENT rules, set down by the ICC (which they've said they intend to enforce), Murali's action for the doosra is illegal. So he should NOT be bowling it in the meantime. How can you come to the conclusion that he should continue to bowl it until it's found to be illegal? It HAS been found illegal. Apparently, the Sri Lankan Cricket Board understands this, even if Murali doesn't, given that they've requested (to no avail up to this point) that he ceases bowling it this tour.

Now, if the biomechanists do some testing, and decide that the rules should be changed, fair enough, but these UWA guys really need to stop presupposing and making proclamations, and START testing. Because, right now, they have NO documented evidence to support these proclamations, and all they're doing is representing Murali's interests, rather than cricket's interests.

DT8

Slow Love™ said:
It HAS been found illegal.
Not so. The ICC haven't commented since they received the report from SLC. They couldnt possibly have banned it before this either.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DT8 said:
Not so. The ICC haven't commented since they received the report from SLC. They couldnt possibly have banned it before this either.
By the letter of the law which applied on the day he was first reported by Chris Broad, Murali has, to all intents and purposes, had an illegal action regarding the doosra.

Even after remedial work, the extension is 10 degrees. Despite the fact that the scientists are saying 'there is no advantage' and equally despite the fact that a new ruling from the ICC is conspicuous by its absence, the current rules say 5.

To continue to use it now he KNOWS that the extension is double the permitted guideline as it stands is, quite frankly, baffling.

DT8

Ok im from AUS so i don't know if the English media is up to date.

But a leading cricket site just reported

"The report into Muttiah Muralitharan's controversial action has been leaked to an Indian newspaper, which says his 'doosra' delivery is legal and he should continue to be allowed to bowl it."

http://www.cricket365.com/Breaking_News/story_12127.shtml

So i find it baffling why Muralidharan wouldn't continue bowling it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
DT8 said:
A little disingenuous. When the ICC's hand was forced by the Sri Lankan board, they DID comment on legal limits, and current regulations.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/APR/130095_SL_21APR2004.html

Argue as to whether you agree with them or not, but the limits are what they are. The delivery is currently illegal. And every country agreed to these tolerances last September. Like I said, I'm open to new research, but it should be done before these guys make proclamations (I notice that you ignored that part of my post) about unfair advantage. What they've done is go way beyond what they were asked to do, without supporting evidence of their hypothesis.

I didn't see the same accommodations and recommendations made for when Shoaib, Jermaine Lawson, etc were tested and had to conform to the rules of the game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DT8 said:
Ok im from AUS so i don't know if the English media is up to date.

But a leading cricket site just reported

"The report into Muttiah Muralitharan's controversial action has been leaked to an Indian newspaper, which says his 'doosra' delivery is legal and he should continue to be allowed to bowl it."

http://www.cricket365.com/Breaking_News/story_12127.shtml

So i find it baffling why Muralidharan wouldn't continue bowling it.
er..... no.

That is a report commenting on the report quoted elsewhere in this thread. Their (C365) interpretation is that it is legal - how they come up with that conclusion is quite baffling, since it (the leaked report) categorically states that Murali's extension (heh) contravenes the existing regulations.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sod it, this whole sorry affair is going to drag on until he has 600+ test wickets and a nice comfy retirement... What a con.
Id find it quite hard to keep my cool as a batsman if the guy got me out with a blatant doosra. Zim would have won that last match if it wasnt for him...

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Sod it, this whole sorry affair is going to drag on until he has 600+ test wickets and a nice comfy retirement... What a con.
Id find it quite hard to keep my cool as a batsman if the guy got me out with a blatant doosra. Zim would have won that last match if it wasnt for him...
yea the guy should burn in hell :wub:

Scallywag

Banned
Mr Warne has a medical problem with wieght and he can treat it with diuretics but its against the rules.

If he uses the diuretics and gets no advantage over any other so bowler why not let him use them. I know it could mask other drugs but Murali can mask the chuck too. Same rules for everybody, change them for Murali, change them for Warne.