• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Bahseph

State Captain
Our favourite SA writer seems to be pushing for a straight shoot out between Morkel and Steyn for a spot in the XI. I'm always convinced that she writes with an agenda. Surely Phelukwayo isn't playing ahead of Dale if it's a five man attack. That would be such an early 2000s quota selection if there ever was one.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Our favourite SA writer seems to be pushing for a straight shoot out between Morkel and Steyn for a spot in the XI. I'm always convinced that she writes with an agenda. Surely Phelukwayo isn't playing ahead of Dale if it's a five man attack. That would be such an early 2000s quota selection if there ever was one.
She is pushing for bavuma and lucky to remain in the side no matter what. Can smell the agenda a mile away...

MediumFast

Cricket Spectator
This is really the first-choice team:

Elgar
Markram
Amla
De Villiers
Du Plessis
De Kock
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn
Morkel

Bahseph

State Captain
She is pushing for bavuma and lucky to remain in the side no matter what. Can smell the agenda a mile away...
Bavuma is plausible if they want to go with 6 batsman plus QDK. Phelukwayo should not start in this series unless there are injuries. Is this pure agenda writing? Or does she have sources?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Exactly the team I'd go with. Philander, Maharaj and Rabada aren't the worst at 7,8 and 9.
When you say they arent the worst, who is that trio better than?

I like this team very much but youve highlighted the one true weakness.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Markram
Elgar
Amla
Faf
AB
Bavuma
QDK
Philander
Maharaj
Steyn
Morkel

Replace Maharaj by Rabada only if the pitch is a green mamba imo.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bavuma needs to go to the next level. Played quite a few test matches now. I think he needs to be challenged and going the 6-5 split and leaving him out may help that for him because there needs to come a time where consistency is required by everyone in a potentially world number one team.

I have also noticed the agenda of That joke of a cricket writer. Thing is, how can you leave out Morkel ? And Gibson says Steyn comes right back in and btw he looked a million dollars during that test match and before.

I also noticed the sarcasm ? Of both de Villiers and Morkel saying they may have to carry drinks at Newlands.

SeamUp

International Coach
Indian supporters might get what they want by default. Shikhar was seen with his ankle strapped and reports say he is a doubt for Newlands.

Spark

Global Moderator
The general public loves AB because he can hit 35-ball hundreds, basically. Steyn is "merely" one of the very finest at his discipline in history.

SeamUp

International Coach
The general public loves AB because he can hit 35-ball hundreds, basically. Steyn is "merely" one of the very finest at his discipline in history.
I know what you mean about AB but also find it not right he doesn't get the respect for the adaptability and class of his batting game for test cricket. He was massive on our 10,11 year unbeatean away streak. This wasn't just a few years but a decade.

Numbers Game: The complete batsman | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know what you mean about AB but also find it not right he doesn't get the respect for the adaptability and class of his batting game for test cricket. He was massive on our 10,11 year unbeatean away streak. This wasn't just a few years but a decade.

Numbers Game: The complete batsman | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
He's awesome no doubt. But in the Test format I'd say Steyn, Kallis, Smith and Amla were all more important to SA's overseas successes during that period than AB was don't you think?

His range is utterly insane though. Other batsmen can smash 35 ball tons. Some can deadbat all day to save a test match. AB somehow has both those abilities.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Exactly the team I'd go with. Philander, Maharaj and Rabada aren't the worst at 7,8 and 9.
I don't think the trade off of having the 4 quicks and a spinner is worth having a relatively long tail. Philander at 7 is weak, he's a much lesser batsman then pretty much any other regular Test number 7. Personally I think he would be classed as an "average" number 8, not even one of the best there so putting him at 7 completely negates what you get from playing 5 front line bowlers.