• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The whole Kitchen thing was very confusing, from the moment the commentators introduced him as 'spin bowler Anaru Kitchen' in his first couple of matches. It was so wtf, he's been a batsman his whole career and then is brought into the T20 side as maybe a bowler, maybe a batsman, but who really knows?
To be fair, and I'm often guilty of this, players are allowed to go away and become better at a skill. They're not always the entity they were (ie Anaru was never a bowler of any repute in Auckland). So maybe he's quite decent, and throw in the mix that domestic players are generally awful at playing orthodox left-arm.

But yeah, I've always believed you pick your top 5 batsmen and if one or more of them happen to bowl, so much the better. For us, that's Chapman not anywhere Anaru.

Flem274*

123/5
CD got home on the back of Milne and Rance's batting, Auckland had three run outs and Derek de Boorder was a bit of a lone ranger in that chase.

Wellington probably missed Bennett's ability to bomb the tail today.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
We are certainly going backwards.Strange selections, even strange selection of captains, strange bowling lineups and choices. I still can't get how Luke Woodcock didn't bowl an over. He bowled exceedingly well the previous game in the death and did his best with the bat to post a competitive total on the board. Firebirds seem to trust Devon Conway more than say a Luke Woodcock. Conway was doing well in the middle order and they moved him to the top of the order meanwhile Woodcock is best suited at the top of the inning but they play him down the order. Makes you wonder if they are playing to win or lose. Twice they were in a good position to win the game, once with the bat and then the ball. Both times they squandered the chances. Our faster bowlers look absolutely tired.

Alex Ridley a local player has come in and done a good job with whatever skills he has. Compared to the number of blokes that Firebirds had brought in the previous few years, the locals have done way better than the borrowed. Still lesson not learnt. Firebirds stealing players from other regions and gobbling up anyone that turns up from somewhere else is so annoying. It's quite a shocker how every time they invest in local players, they seem to do well. The captains so far in the season have been Hamish Marshall, Michael Bracewell, Hamish Bennett whereas the likes of Luke Woodcock who's probably the senior most right now is neglected and so is Steve Murdoch. It's just shocking choices. They moved out Michael Papps and brought in Hamish Marshall. Such illogical and short sighted choices. Always hoped the best for Firebirds but not anymore. I'd rather see them lose for not encouraging good talents.

Immenso

Out of curiosity,

I have Wellington as 7 locals in yesterday's 11.
CD had 9 and a half (import being A Patel and half of Tickner).

Other teams in yesterday's round.

ND 7 and a half out off 11. Mitchell the half, Sodhi, Randell and Brownlie the non locals.

Otago 3 out of 11.

Canterbury 8 out of 11.

Auckland 9 and a half out of 11.

nzfan

Out of curiosity,

I have Wellington as 7 locals in yesterday's 11.
CD had 9 and a half (import being A Patel and half of Tickner).

Other teams in yesterday's round.

ND 7 and a half out off 11. Mitchell the half, Sodhi, Randell and Brownlie the non locals.

Otago 3 out of 11.

Canterbury 8 out of 11.

Auckland 9 and a half out of 11.
Wellington locals from yesterday are 5 i.e Woodcock, Blundell, Murdoch, McPeake and Ridley. To be honest they have done better than last year. They have tried Ridley, Lauchie Johns this year. Ridley has been successful and Lauchie was reasonable. I have no problem with players from other regions, they are from NZ at the end of the day. What I can't figure are the choices of captains. Taking out Papps and bringing in Hamish Marshall for two games. Why wouldn't they give that spot to someone deserving? Hamish Marshall now has moved on after playing handful of games and also captaining. That was always going to be the case. He's not 20 years old. Just short sighted moves. I'm not ready to believe Luke Woodcock or Steve Murdoch don't have it in them to captain the team if they were truly struggling to find a leader.

Immenso

Wellington locals from yesterday are 5 i.e Woodcock, Blundell, Murdoch, McPeake and Ridley. To be honest they have done better than last year. They have tried Ridley, Lauchie Johns this year. Ridley has been successful and Lauchie was reasonable. I have no problem with players from other regions, they are from NZ at the end of the day. What I can't figure are the choices of captains. Taking out Papps and bringing in Hamish Marshall for two games. Why wouldn't they give that spot to someone deserving? Hamish Marshall now has moved on after playing handful of games and also captaining. That was always going to be the case. He's not 20 years old. Just short sighted moves. I'm not ready to believe Luke Woodcock or Steve Murdoch don't have it in them to captain the team if they were truly struggling to find a leader.
Not also Newton and Younghusband?

I know Younghusband is Zim born but I just assumed he was locally raised?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Finn Allen and Ben Sears were in the Aces and Firebirds squads for today, but sadly all rained off.

Auckland are still alive in the comp, so Allen right in the frame take Chapman's spot at Pukekura Park on the 17th.

nzfan

I see Finn Allen and Ben Sears were in the Aces and Firebirds squads for today, but sadly all rained off.

Auckland are still alive in the comp, so Allen right in the frame take Chapman's spot at Pukekura Park on the 17th.
Firebirds have to do something about the younger players. If I were at the helm I will recognize and get all the guys that are good enough to make the Black Caps in the future. Even if it means having to move on from the older players.

Great to see Finn Allen as well, he well and truly deserves to play. If there is no space I'd make space for these guys. They are bloody good and are going to serve black caps for good number of years. It's time Ravindra moves on, he's not going to get anywhere here. Firebirds selections are rubbish to say the least.

I didn't think I would be saying this but the poor results are a reflection of rubbish Firebirds selection and short sighted decisions. The players as well as the coach fully deserve the terrible results they turned up in Ford and the Super Smash. They'll never learn.

Meanwhile good for Canterbury (didn't think I'd ever say that) to have sneaked in. Firebirds didn't deserve to go through.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
Feels like Domestic cricket is suffering a extremely slow, boring death this season. One round has been rained off, but seriously this is far too long between games..

The Hutt Rec

Feels like Domestic cricket is suffering a extremely slow, boring death this season. One round has been rained off, but seriously this is far too long between games..
It's lost even more momentum than the international schedule!

jcas0167

International Debutant
Oh, that is an unfortunate way for Finn Allen to get out. Run out off a deflection at the non-strikers end.

Flem274*

123/5
CD got engine roomed in the end by Horne and Nethula. Their own engine room is a longish tail.

Good to see the young Canterbury quicks collectively slaughter an experienced ND side. Nicholls tonned up too.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Ah, the old epic, egotistical lone hand is back in Wellington club cricket. Really good to see Saffers bring that back. Due to the Firebirds being so **** and having no resumption of games anytime soon, there's a small chance he'll be available next Saturday as well, maybe crack the club season's first double hundred.