• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

Cow

Banned
Cricket Australia need to keep Justin Langer's face away from television. His nauseating grin and slimy posture are a discredit not only to Australian cricket, but to Australians themselves.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
And they could have only used Australia's Twenty20 side and a creaky 'Australian XI' England warm-up for Paine if he is not even keeping for Tasmania, granted they insisted on his batting in that third round and not declaring.

By the way, Tasmania sacrificing a game because of CA orders raises the argument: how **** is the Sheffield Shield? Imagine if that had happened in the county championship? Imagine if that happened in the county championship with Yorkshire haha? The whole of Yorkshire would march on Lord's to place Andrew Strauss's head on a pike and take it back to York and place on the fortified walls.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Renshaw was the second top Australian run scorer in India. He had a couple of failures in Bangladesh and has failed to fire in three rounds of the shield on really tough surfaces. Of the 10 completed innings in shield games involving Queensland, 8 have seen scores of less than 250. Of the remaining two, NSW scored 271 and QLD scored 311.

It's hardly like there were easy runs on offer on roads. They were on Brisbane and Hobart green/challenging decks. And even then Renshaw was sawn off in one innings.

The problem with jettisoning someone on the basis of three rounds of the shield is that not all shield games are played under the same conditions. I have faith that Renshaw is good enough to force his way back into the test side, but he really should never have been tossed aside in the first place.

stephen

I wonder how Doran feels being the only Tasmanian wicket keeper who hasn't been given a run so far.

the big bambino

International Captain
Paine's selection is crazy but kind of funny. Serves Nev and Wade right for trying to get in by being less **** than the other. I just would have gone for Bancroft if the criteria was finding a bloke who's hardly played keeper but has scored a heap of runs.

Marsh is the one that has me yelling at my family for what they think is no reason. There were heaps of candidates but they picked a known, aging, injury prone failure over a young batsman and managed to unbalance the side by picking 6 men who can't bowl. Just as we are about to play on the gabba road with 3 fast bowlers who can't be used at their best if they are forced to bowl a lot of overs and are fragile anyway.

It just beats Renshaw's dropping for stupidity.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paine's selection is crazy but kind of funny. Serves Nev and Wade right for trying to get in by being less **** than the other. I just would have gone for Bancroft if the criteria was finding a bloke who's hardly played keeper but has scored a heap of runs.

Marsh is the one that has me yelling at my family for what they think is no reason. There were heaps of candidates but they picked a known, aging, injury prone failure over a young batsman and managed to unbalance the side by picking 6 men who can't bowl. Just as we are about to play on the gabba road with 3 fast bowlers who can't be used at their best if they are forced to bowl a lot of overs and are fragile anyway.

It just beats Renshaw's dropping for stupidity.
Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way. The 13 man squad also had Bird and Sayers, maybe SMarsh will warm the bench and they'll play 5 bowlers . . .

unlikely, but you never know

TheJediBrah

And they could have only used Australia's Twenty20 side and a creaky 'Australian XI' England warm-up for Paine if he is not even keeping for Tasmania, granted they insisted on his batting in that third round and not declaring.

By the way, Tasmania sacrificing a game because of CA orders raises the argument: how **** is the Sheffield Shield? Imagine if that had happened in the county championship? Imagine if that happened in the county championship with Yorkshire haha? The whole of Yorkshire would march on Lord's to place Andrew Strauss's head on a pike and take it back to York and place on the fortified walls.
You've been piping on about this for months now. The Shield is not the same as the county championsip, deal with it.

the big bambino

International Captain
Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way. The 13 man squad also had Bird and Sayers, maybe SMarsh will warm the bench and they'll play 5 bowlers . . .

unlikely, but you never know
Had thought about that and with Starc and Cummins batting ability its not unreasonable. But we'd need a keeper who could be relied on for runs to risk it. I don't think Paine can bring us the runs to play 5 bowlers but the selectors might think differently.

TheJediBrah

Had thought about that and with Starc and Cummins batting ability its not unreasonable. But we'd need a keeper who could be relied on for runs to risk it. I don't think Paine can bring us the runs to play 5 bowlers but the selectors might think differently.
Maybe Paine will warm the bench and Bancroft will keep . . .

nah no chance

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I kind of get it in the way that you want these players to have a proper knock, but boy, does it really serve to weaken the competition.

All this tinkering hasn't fared well has it.

I remember a year or two ago, I was really positive about Steve moulding the team into his own way - Playing tougher cricket and not just capitulating - But yeah, doesn't seem to have worked out the way I would have liked

TheJediBrah

When you have some of the best First-class players in the world like Cowan, Klinger and White sitting out, its clear that the standard of the competition is not a priority

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Now that we have the Test squad, I am pretty curious to see how WA and NSW in particular move around their batting.

Is Jono Wells going to open? Darcy Short might get an opportunity.

For NSW, Hughes opening would be logical and Cowan comes in, maybe Gibson too. I assume Somerville is the spinner but is Fallins close?

Burgey

SOK is playing the first innings in the Futures League game at Blacktown starting Monday. He’ll be in the Shield side on Friday if he gets through that ok.

I think Cowan will come in for Warner. Not sure who’ll take TPC’s place, but I know who I want to #Bertmentum.

mr_mister

Finally got around to checking Paine's stats to find he averages 28 in FC? I remember thinking he looked pretty decent way back when he got his test 90 odd, would have definitely expected him to average closer to 40 for Tassie. Has he been doing **** all down there for a decade? No tons since 06 would suggest so