Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 100 Test Matches at The Oval

International Coach

100 Test Matches at The Oval

The Oval joins a small select number of venues that have hosted 100 Test Matches. JBMAC will probably claim to remember all of them. I've witnessed all of them (99.9% on TV) since the early 70's. Some great moments, great innings and a lot of great memories and matches. My favourite memory is oddly enough an England defeat. The Oval pitch in the mid-70's was an absolute featherbed, especially 74-76. Michael Holding's bowling on the final day of the 1976 Test was fast bowling at its best. It was the flattest of flat pitches and although the England batting line-up wasn't the greatest they'd made over 400 in the first innings (admittedly Dennis Amiss made nearly half of them). There was nothing intimidating, just extremely fast and accurate fast bowling. Viv also made 291 which was a great innings, but that seemed a little more inevitable that summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    The Oval joins a small select number of venues that have hosted 100 Test Matches. JBMAC will probably claim to remember all of them. I've witnessed all of them (99.9% on TV) since the early 70's. Some great moments, great innings and a lot of great memories and matches. My favourite memory is oddly enough an England defeat. The Oval pitch in the mid-70's was an absolute featherbed, especially 74-76. Michael Holding's bowling on the final day of the 1976 Test was fast bowling at its best. It was the flattest of flat pitches and although the England batting line-up wasn't the greatest they'd made over 400 in the first innings (admittedly Dennis Amiss made nearly half of them). There was nothing intimidating, just extremely fast and accurate fast bowling. Viv also made 291 which was a great innings, but that seemed a little more inevitable that summer.
    Yeah, you and I will be sharing similar memories, and I feel the same way about 1976 as you do.

Beyond the Holding/Amiss match, 2005 and 2009 were especially sweet. The former because it had been so very long since we'd held the urn, and 2009 because it was so unexpected.
    Devon Malcolm's mauling of SA in 1994 is another favourite, as is Tresco's demolition of the same opponents in 2003.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Yip v the WI in the '70s. Viv having that massive innings. Bit before my time but I've seen the highlights. Also Pietersen's 158 in 2005 - and Warne dropping that catch!
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    India in '79 - never much cared for Gavaskar before that or after but found myself wanting India to win on that last afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    India in '79 - never much cared for Gavaskar before that or after but found myself wanting India to win on that last afternoon
    You must remember the one that they did win, in 1971.

That was my first summer of watching the game actually.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    You must remember the one that they did win, in 1971.

That was my first summer of watching the game actually.
    Absolutely - was certainly supporting India that day, as they had more Lancastrians in their side than England

The first Oval Test I actually remember was 1968 when Underwood won it after the ground had been under water

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Stuart Broad running through Australia to win the Ashes in 2009 was ****ing sensational

https://youtu.be/ZTyEZ_EYwYU?t=3717
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 28-07-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    Cabinet96, Adders, GIMH and 1 others like this.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Stuart Broad running through Australia to win the Ashes in 2009 was ****ing sensational

https://youtu.be/ZTyEZ_EYwYU?t=3717
    Yeah, I just loved that test.

The '93 Oval Test was my first glimpse of the great ground. The Oval has always been one of my favourite English venues, what with its gasometer and large size which always breeds an exciting brand of cricket.

My boyhood favorite Ravi Shastri scored the most fluent of his eleven test hundreds at The Oval in 1990. Apart from the '86 tied test when he scored 62 and 48 not out (in 36 balls with two massive sixers), I don't think he ever batted with so much freedom and super confidence as he did when he scored this 187.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLVckNIa47A
    Last edited by bagapath; 29-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    honestbharani likes this.

International Debutant ImpatientLime's Avatar
    Tuffers recall in 1997 and then going onto spin a web around australia.

Request Your Custom Title Now! honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    My boyhood favorite Ravi Shastri scored the most fluent of his eleven test hundreds at The Oval in 1990. Apart from the '86 tied test when he scored 62 and 48 not out (in 36 balls with two massive sixers), I don't think he ever batted with so much freedom and super confidence as he did when he scored this 187.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLVckNIa47A

We have had very different childhoods, my friend.

Back then in our family, Kapil Dev was all the rage for all of us guys. The ladies seemed to love Shastri though. Back around 1988 or 89, as I was the 4 year old out of the group of teenage cousins, I did win all those arguments and made them concede Kapil was better.
    Last edited by honestbharani; 29-07-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

vcs
    Request Your Custom Title Now! vcs's Avatar
    Kapil's decline in the early '90s was a bit painful to watch, when it seemed to take him forever to break Hadlee's record.

Prabhakar (loved his action) and Srinath had definitely become better options by then.

Well, you were too young to have seen Shastri in his peak years; from WCC in Australia till Reliance WC, he could do anything. He would come to the crease either at six and bat with the tail and keep fighting till the end, resorting to slogs when needed - or he would open the batting and grind out world class fast bowling to lay a firm foundation for the team. He also had a knack of getting the wickets of star opposition batsmen with his left arm spin bowling. I did a statsguru search to illustrate my point but found nothing to support my claim. **** statistics. if billions believe in god with no evidence, I can believe, without statistical evidence, in Shastri being the best allrounder in the world for three years in a game called cricket which only seven teams used to play at the international level.
    Last edited by bagapath; 30-07-2017 at 02:35 AM.
    honestbharani and vcs like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Kapil's decline in the early '90s was a bit painful to watch, when it seemed to take him forever to break Hadlee's record.

Prabhakar (loved his action) and Srinath had definitely become better options by then.

Yeah he was not very good post 1992 I thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information