• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can deffo see Mo getting a gig if he does half ok in the warm up, judging by the squad.

Obviously that "if" is the load bearing word in that sentence though. If he ****s the bed I think Bess and Leach are mortals with the skipper's PT offies as support.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
For the 1st test I'd go Sibley, Crawley, Root, Lawrence, Buttler, Foakes, Woakes, Bess, Leach, Anderson, Stone

Think Root is a good 5th bowler option in these conditions, but the worry is that if Bess/Leach are having an off day, he'll have to turn into a frontline bowler. It's a high-risk strategy going in with 5 bowlers and could easily backfire if the top 6 don't get runs, but so be it. Onus on the batsman to get in and bat long periods. It's rare that your scoring quickly in SL so the likes of Sibley, and to a lesser extent Foakes, are key to acculumating big scores

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It'll be a tough team to pick.

No stokes screws the balance a bit. He'd have been an ideal 3rd seamer.
Would be nice if Ali could bat in the top 6 and be one of the bowlers as he has did with some success in India, but that seems a long time ago.

Broad, Anderson and SCurran played a combined 5 tests last tour in Sri Lanka and took 2 wickets. Woakes too with the poor bowling record away from home. I feel Broad, Anderson and Woakes very similar in these conditions, and really should only pick one of them, or maybe two if you require the batting of Woakes (although in that case you are maybe better not playing both Broad and Anderson).

I've been very impressed by Sam Curran's batting vs spin ever since that first series (sorry second; he debuted vs Pakistan) vs India and the way he played Ashwin but I don't see him as good enough to bat 6 or 7 unfortunately. He just doesn't have that batter's temperament to construct a proper innings and bat long periods - as shown by his 0 first class hundreds. Which probably means he doesn't make the side because I don't think his bowling offers enough.

Root, Buttler and Crawley 3 I reckon nailed onto play. I did have Sibley in that list but his batting vs spin has been very limited to this point and makes him vulnerable even if his test record so far should justify a prolonged opportunity.

Ed Smith gave his thoughts when the squad announced. Sounds like Foakes might be running the drinks until India, where Buttler may be rested at some point.

PavlovsDog

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don’t see how Sibley is vulnerable for selection at this point - there are simply too few batting options to leave him out. Obviously if he struggles here, there may be changes for India.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can deffo see Mo getting a gig if he does half ok in the warm up, judging by the squad.

Obviously that "if" is the load bearing word in that sentence though. If he ****s the bed I think Bess and Leach are mortals with the skipper's PT offies as support.
They played 3 spinners last time in Sri Lanka so I expect that again. Something like:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Lawrence
Buttler
Moeen
Bess
Broad/Anderson
Wood
Leach

As theegyptian says though no Stokes makes it a lot more difficult, feel you are kind of one player short whatever you do, you would really want to add Curran or Woakes to that team. I can't see Broad and Anderson making the trip and not playing at least a game each though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They played 3 spinners last time in Sri Lanka so I expect that again. Something like:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Lawrence
Buttler
Moeen
Bess
Broad/Anderson
Wood
Leach

As theegyptian says though no Stokes makes it a lot more difficult, feel you are kind of one player short whatever you do, you would really want to add Curran or Woakes to that team. I can't see Broad and Anderson making the trip and not playing at least a game each though.
I would put Curran for Bess in there, and yes make do with Root, Curran gives you a bit of variety and he's capable of almost bowling cutters which may give us something.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess other than Stokes the key difference last time was we had Rashid so the 3 spinners all brought variety. I'm not sure having Moeen + Bess (+Root) adds enough.

I can also see Root thinking along the lines that Woakes + Curran = Stokes and playing something like:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Lawrence
Buttler
Woakes
Curran
Bess
Broad/Anderson
Leach

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mo to open, maybe?

He's done it before and, whilst I'm not privy Ed's thinking, one imagines he might be reluctant to move Crawley from #3 now he looks as if he might make a fist of it.

Sibley
Moeen
Crawley
Root*
Bairstow
Buttler+
Woakes
SCurran
Bess
Broad
Leach

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Who is the 12th man coach? And the coach's coach?
Totally over the top here HB. There's Kallis as batting coach, Jon Lewis as bowling coach, Jeetan Patel as spin bowling coach, Paul Collingwood as fielding coach, James Foster as wicketkeeping coach, Chris Silverwood as, err, coach, and Graham Thorpe as assistant coach (except he's not featuring in Sri Lanka due to the squad rotation policy amongst the coaching staff). Maybe someone to drive the coach. But no 12th man coach yet.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rashid played very well last time in SL. Has he given up test cricket or were there other reasons why he wasn't selected?
Pretty much the former. With his dodgy shoulder I think he's decided to concentrate on the white ball stuff, but I don't think there's ever been an official announcement.

Partly, I suspect, because Ed wants him to change his mind.

England First

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So from the players available for Sri lanka
1.Dominic Sibley
2. Zak Crawley
3. Joe Root he’s the perfect number 3 really. He can attack and defend when needed. I have no idea why he doesn’t play there.
4. Jonny bairstow
5. Stone or Lawrence
6. Chris Woakes
7. Josh Butler WK shouldn’t be messed around with again just keep him as the WK
8. Dominic Bess would prefer Abdul rashid but not going to happen
9. Sam Curran
10. Stuart broad
11. James Anderson rotate with wood
12th man mark wood

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So from the players available for Sri lanka
1.Dominic Sibley
2. Zak Crawley
3. Joe Root he’s the perfect number 3 really. He can attack and defend when needed. I have no idea why he doesn’t play there.
4. Jonny bairstow
5. Stone or Lawrence
6. Chris Woakes
7. Josh Butler WK shouldn’t be messed around with again just keep him as the WK
8. Dominic Bess would prefer Abdul rashid but not going to happen
9. Sam Curran
10. Stuart broad
11. James Anderson rotate with wood
12th man mark wood
Is that the batting order you want or just occasional random placement. Woakes above butter, especially away from home, and curran below bess looks off. Root doesn't bat 3 because he's ****e there for some reason. Averages 38 there and 49 at 4.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't want to get carried away (I mean, Keystone Jennings scored a ton on debut and we all know how that worked out) but young Danny Lawrence's encouraging 73 might mean our selectors are choosing the batting from a position of relative strength when Pope is (properly) fit and Burns and Sir Benjamin are available again.