cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: England players and selection discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a thread for the Eng vs Ire match today. It's getting very interesting though. At 62/4, it'll be a test to see if England really do "bat deep" in the innings.
    68/5

I think they will still get there

International Regular
    So, when will Josh Little debut for England?

I suspect the contract is being typed up at the moment.

U19 Cricketer
    Foakes one away from 50

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    So, when will Josh Little debut for England?

I suspect the contract is being typed up at the moment.
    I guess he needs to be South African to play for New Zealand.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...Cup-squad.html

I for one would be much happier with Dawson as the backup spin bowling allrounder rather than Denly. Shame it's taken them this long to consider it. Shoulda played a few more games imo even if he did get injured during his last callup. Denly isn't a good enough spinner to bowl 10 overs in an ODI. Dawson more comfortable in the middle order too. Dawson certainly no star but I'd back him to do a job.
    Prince EWS and Bijed like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Touch of inevitability about Archer playing the WC. Looks the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...Cup-squad.html

I for one would be much happier with Dawson as the backup spin bowling allrounder rather than Denly. Shame it's taken them this long to consider it. Shoulda played a few more games imo even if he did get injured during his last callup. Denly isn't a good enough spinner to bowl 10 overs in an ODI. Dawson more comfortable in the middle order too. Dawson certainly no star but I'd back him to do a job.
    Yeah Denly doesn't really fit for me for the role he's being picked in. He's a top order batsman who can bowl who's being picked as a genuine allrounder who bats in the middle order. I think he's a marginally better player than Dawson but Dawson definitely fits the role better.

I ultimately question how necessary the role is though. If Moeen or Rashid got injured/dropped I don't think I'd be keen to replace one of them with another spin bowling allrounder. I don't think it's imperative that England select two spinners all the time.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

I ultimately question how necessary the role is though. If Moeen or Rashid got injured/dropped I don't think I'd be keen to replace one of them with another spin bowling allrounder. I don't think it's imperative that England select two spinners all the time.
    Ya i can see that. Dawson wouldn't play unless there was an injury to Mo or Rashid and even he wouldn't be guaranteed a spot. And with a 15 man squad spaces are limited and possibly best used elsewhere.

Still they are vulnerable to short term injuries or injury on the day later in the tournament. 4 seamers and 2 spinners is their default and favoured balance. Any kind of short term injury to mo or rashid would cause issues, especially later on in the tournaments where the wickets will likely be worn.

I certainly like the team balance with the two spinners and four seamers. Gives Morgan more options without particularly weakening the batting. If Hales was still around you could maybe make a case for dropping Stokes and playing 4 seamers and a spinner in the event of an injury to a spinner. Say Roy, Bairstow, Hales, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Woakes, T Curran, Archer, Rashid, Wood. But that's gone now.
    Last edited by theegyptian; 08-05-2019 at 11:27 AM.

BSM
    U19 12th Man
    Do we reckon Wiley will probably be the bowler to make way in the WC squad for Archer? He is the most limited and the most immediately vulnerable in my mind; barring Wood who's injuries could potentially rule him out anyway.

The problem is more complicated with the starting xi. I don't think you could say any of Curran, Plunkett or Woakes deserve to be dropped but one of them certainly has to be. Curran and Plunkett have looked fine enough and while Woakes has been in bad form recently, he has arguably been our best odi seamer since 2015 (Plunkett has also been very decent). Likelihood is that Woakes and Plunkett (and Wood if he makes it) will have to be constantly rotated in and out of the squad because of injury scares so that will at least make it a little easier. Here's how I think we should line up:

Roy
    Bairstow
    Root
    Morgan
    Stokes
    Butler
    Ali
    Woakes
    Curran
    Archer
    Rashid

U19 Cricketer
    Hmm i think Willey will make it in place of Woakes...Never thought i'd say that, but Woakes is clearly struggling at the moment, and Willey starting to show different part sof his game with the ball, i honestly think Woakes will miss out

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy1993 View Post
    Hmm i think Willey will make it in place of Woakes...Never thought i'd say that, but Woakes is clearly struggling at the moment, and Willey starting to show different part sof his game with the ball, i honestly think Woakes will miss out
    Clearly both are ahead of Wood though.

International Debutant
    Mason Crane seems to be a better bowler than Rashid

School Boy/Girl Captain Gremlin's Avatar
    Ballance going well at no.3 for Yorkshire this year. Making a case yet for England?

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread Information