• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

BSM

U19 Cricketer
No YJB. Huh.

Not that I disagree particularly vehemently (in fact I'm chuffed Denly's solidity has been retained), but still mildly surprising.

Guessing Keystone is the reserve batter, which I'm not massively anti given he did decently on the last SL tour. I'd just prefer him not to be considered for the summer tests even if he does ok again as, well, we've been there before.
Yeah I think the thinking behind Jennings is probably also because neither of the two openers have really been tested that much against spin. If one of them seems especially vulnerable in the first test then I feel like he might be considered

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm guessing the starting line up will look something like

1 Sibley
2 Crawley
3 Denly
4 Root
5 Stokes
6 Pope
7 Foakes
8 Woakes
9 Curran / Wood
10 Bess
11 Leach

I just can't see Broad getting a game to be honest
Agreed. I guess we're looking at two out of Woakes, Curran and Wood. And the rest of the side should be as you suggest, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them sticking with Buttler out of some sort of misplaced loyalty.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Jennings is starting

theres no way you take a bloke on a two match tour who you know will be dropped come the next series and ask him to sit on the bench

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that they're still carting Parkinson around, guess they fancy him for the future. Seemed the feeling in SA was that he was nowhere near Test-ready (hence Bess leapfrogging him from outside the squad).

If Leach struggles for fitness again it does mean we're left with Bess as the only viable spinner. I guess Root and Denly would be bowling a lot of overs in that situation.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder if Denlys ODI runs helped him keep his spot. I felt the call that hed be dropped and Bairstow would bat 3 was very weird.

Pretty happy overall with the squad, perhaps an extra spinner would have been nice to have as there might be a situation where just 1 main quick plus Stokes was needed.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Broad is comfortably the best test match bowler in the squad and if you think he'd be left out for any reason other than workload management, you need your head examined.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Broad is comfortably the best test match bowler in the squad and if you think he'd be left out for any reason other than workload management, you need your head examined.
I wouldn't dispute your first assertion, but, if memory serves, he only played one test last time out and went wicketless in it.

Don't think he was carrying a knock, just "rested" to make room for the extra spinner.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My word. I've just seen the Loins' scorecard. Hobart doing a fair concrete impression if it's anything to go by.

Didn't even know Sibley bowled, but apparently that was the 4th FC wicket to fall to his offies, so practically an all-rounder, really.

Shady Slim

International Coach
exceedingly happy that denners is still there, deserves it, and i was abhorred when the suggestion was they’d drop him but keep bairstow around when the denman’s batted exceedingly well and grittily for a team that of recent years as lacked that staunchness in the middle order

FBU

International Debutant
Gleeson, Gregory and Mahmood injured. Shoulder, calf and knee. Mahmood bowled 26.3 overs all winter. Essex bowler Cook called up from Grade cricket. 4 day match tonight v Australia A.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Lawrence having a great lions tour. Did well in the middle order in the OD games whilst contributing with the ball, and now a couple of hundreds in 4 day games. There isn't really a spot in the test team in the middle order open though. Don't want to see Pope or Lawrence at 3.

Sibley batting plenty of time too.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
anyone know if there's much truth in the talk that lawrence is one of the most arrogant, 'the only was is essex' *********s on the circuit in recent times?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mahmood called up to replace him, apparently.

Which seems like a triumph of optimism over experience, given he missed the Loins' game with Australia A.

One might've thought COverton or Robinson might've got the nod based on what they did in said game.

FBU

International Debutant
Mahmood called up to replace him, apparently.

Which seems like a triumph of optimism over experience, given he missed the Loins' game with Australia A.

One might've thought COverton or Robinson might've got the nod based on what they did in said game.
Yes Lancs said 'Meanwhile, Saqib Mahmood has not joined the Lions after experiencing a sore knee'. 21 Feb. Well he wasn't fit for the Lions but is for England. 8-)

Mail

But England are adamant this latest blow, only confirmed after several scans in London, is a relatively minor one and his absence from a Sri Lankan tour that begins next week is more precautionary than a serious worry.

England even say Wood might have been fit for the second Test in Colombo on March 27 but they have decided not to risk him and instead will tell him to continue his rehabilitation at home ahead of the belated start to the international summer in June.

Wood was clearly feeling an issue in his side in the build-up to the final Test against South Africa in Johannesburg but, with Jofra Archer ruled out with what was subsequently discovered to be a broken elbow, the Durham man declared himself fit at the last moment.

a) how do you play with a minor side strain eg. 4th Test
b) even with a small tear they were thinking of taking him to SL
c) have the medics any clue at all

Last edited:

BSM

U19 Cricketer
He shouldn't have been picked anyway. It's crazy selecting an injury prone bowler for that kind of tour.
Nah I disagree. A genuine quick can make all the difference in a tight test match on any pitch. iirc, Stokes had a quick and hostile spell in the 3rd test last SL tour that pretty much changed the game. You pick your most impactful team whatever the tour, and arguably someone like Wood or Archer would be even more needed in such conditions (wouldn't have to bowl many overs anyway when you think about it)