cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: England players and selection discussion thread

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Its not and FWIW, I think Root has the potential to be up there but I, of course, rate Lara as the greatest batsman I have ever seen. I am just mentioning that centuries were rarer then. You can check the no. of hundreds alone in that decade and you will see what I am saying.
    Don't they play more games though now?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    we can rough check the percentages too if you want.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    we can rough check the percentages too if you want.
    good idea.
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

Gob
    While i think Root's conversion rate should improve, i do think he gets more flack for that than he probably deserves because any convo about Root the batsman will ultimately end up with him being compared with the other 3 and they all have great conversion rates witch is a bit of an anomaly given their relatively younger age.

Thats why i brought up Lara and i'm sure there must have been many ATG batsmen in other eras with poor conversion rates in their mid twenties before going on to make lot more hundreds.
    Bijed likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Even forgetting Lara though, at least with Root, its just the circumstances in which he has gotten out and the manner in which he has gotten out. And its kinda doubly exposed when you see how ruthless Kohli and KW can be when they get themselves in. Smith of course is at a different level from all 3 at the moment.

U19 Debutant
    I'd say Kohli is on another level to Williamson and Root, and Smith is even above that. QdK will be up there if he can be comfortable at 4.

Smith>Kohli>Williamson=Root for me, but I haven't seen Kane as much as I should have.

Kane 17 100s, 61 matches. 53.57
    Root 12 100s, 55 matches. 51.16
    Kohli 16 100s, 57 matches. although recently much improved. 49.41
    Smith 20 100s, 54 matches. 61.05 jeez and he started as a bowler, right?

Okay Smith is miles ahead.
    Last edited by Moonsorrow999; 23-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Hameed needs to be picked again soon, although I think Westley and Malan are decent choices - I do hope Malan gets the gig ahead of Dawson next week

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorrow999 View Post
    'dI say Kohli is on another level to Williamson and Root, and Smith is even above that. QdK will be up there if he can be comfortable at 4.

Smith>Kohli>Williamson=Root for me, but I haven't seen Kane as much as I should have.

Honestly I think conversion rate for Root is a slight problem, but just to judge players on it, is nonsensical, to be utterly simplistic I think I'd much prefer 2 99s, then a 100 and 0. What averages are you using there?

Kohli in Tests clearly not on thesame level as Kane or Joe yet would be a better way of putting it, if you want to be melodramatic about levels. Yet in reality they could all go either way.
    Last edited by grecian; 23-07-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Think they're full career averages, just Root & Williamson are the wrong way around
    Follow me @cricket_gc, should you want to learn more of my cricketing thoughts and opinions, or read them in more detail on my blog: https://gccricket.wordpress.com

I'd say Kohli is on another level to Williamson and Root, and Smith is even above that. QdK will be up there if he can be comfortable at 4.

Thing to note here is incredible as his run of form was, he proceeded to turn into an absolute walking wicket. Obviously I'm not saying he's going to be a tailender from here on in, but it does make it a bit difficult to accurately assess him right now. Fair to say he's had the best golden run but also the worst of the low points of the Big 4?
    vcs, honestbharani and zorax like this.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    On the bowlers I think Coverton coming along very nicely now. Bit pacier, relentless around the top of offstump and can get disconcerting bounce. TRJ possibly deserves a chance in test cricket but Overton pushing him close at the moment imo.

Impressed by T Curran and Crane in white ball cricket this summer. Showing big improvement.

TCurran has that extra 1/2 yard of pace that makes his slower balls and yorker that much more penetrative. Possibly still lacks a bit of pace for test cricket at present. Doesn't have great figures over the last 16 months although Oval offers little to pace bowlers.
    Crane has flattened his spin out a bit in 20 over cricket. Going more for the overspinners, googlies, and less for the big spinning leg breaks. Looking for those lbw and bowled in white ball cricket. Helped his white ball cricket - but doubtful whether it will do his first class cricket much good.

International Debutant

Not really disputing that Smith is miles ahead, but he was only a bowler (batting at 8) for his first 2 Tests; for the 2010-11 Ashes he batted at 6 for 2 Tests and 7 for the 3rd (scored a few runs, didn't take any wickets). When he came back into the team after being dropped for a couple of years, he was a top 5 batsman who could bowl a bit.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Jennings is just out of nick, continuing a poor domestic run.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    On the bowlers I think Coverton coming along very nicely now. Bit pacier, relentless around the top of offstump and can get disconcerting bounce. TRJ possibly deserves a chance in test cricket but Overton pushing him close at the moment imo.

Impressed by T Curran and Crane in white ball cricket this summer. Showing big improvement.

TCurran has that extra 1/2 yard of pace that makes his slower balls and yorker that much more penetrative. Possibly still lacks a bit of pace for test cricket at present. Doesn't have great figures over the last 16 months although Oval offers little to pace bowlers.
    Crane has flattened his spin out a bit in 20 over cricket. Going more for the overspinners, googlies, and less for the big spinning leg breaks. Looking for those lbw and bowled in white ball cricket. Helped his white ball cricket - but doubtful whether it will do his first class cricket much good.
    Yeah I am slightly worried Crane will play too much white ball cricket and not enough first class, it is a basic problem of the schedule though. Need to make sure he gets plenty of red ball cricket during the winter.

How quick is Coad at the moment?

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah I am slightly worried Crane will play too much white ball cricket and not enough first class, it is a basic problem of the schedule though. Need to make sure he gets plenty of red ball cricket during the winter.

How quick is Coad at the moment?
    Would that be'' red back cricket in the winter'' in England (bit of a joke at the current scheduling which does not see the championship resume to late August or some ungodly time).

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information