• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** India in West Indies 2017

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean Kohli at 4 and Rahul at 3 works so much better than the other way around.

And Pandey at 5 and Jadhav at 6 completes the middle order really nicely IMO.
I am somehow still not sold on Pandey. It should be Pant and Jadhav at 5 and 6. Hardik comes in at 7, then we have a spinner who bats a bit and then Bhuvi at 9 which is a decent tail.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean Kohli at 4 and Rahul at 3 works so much better than the other way around.

And Pandey at 5 and Jadhav at 6 completes the middle order really nicely IMO.
This isn't possible since Pandya is effectively a lock-in at 7 and the side still needs a keeper. So it basically means one between KL and Pandey.

cnerd123

likes this
Oh right. Okay so looking to 2019 and planning without MSD and Yuvi:

Pant
Nohit
Dhawan
Kohli
Pandey
Jadhav
Pandya
Jadeja

Lokesh the backup for the top 3. Rahane the backup to him.
Raina the backup for Jadhav/Pandey? Not sure on this. This is the issue with MSD and Yuvi still playing - if they can't make it 2019 then our middle order is severely lacking bench strength.
Samson the backup for Pant? If Samson needs to play then Lokesh comes in for Pandey too and takes the top 3 spot while Samson slips into the middle order.
And Pandya Jnr probably the backup to Pandya snr.

I don't question Pandey. He's done the job in ODIs, for India A, domestically, etc. Passed the eye test. Still young, very talented, I'm fairly confident that if he gets a run he'll develop into a fine ODI batsmen even tho that isn't his strongest format. Plus I like Lokesh as a top order batsman in all 3 formats and don't want him shuffling between top order and middle order across each format.

Pant and Lokesh are both flexible tho, so if needed we can keep our same top 3 and have them fill the middle order I suppose

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Why change something that is working well? We don't get slow and low pitches like the Windies everywhere. Nowadays, Most of the pitches are similar to the pitches we got in CT where our top 3 did well. I think Rahul or Pandey should just come in at 4 and leave the top 3 untouched.
KL will add an attacking option at the top. He's a future star - needs to open in all formats. I'm not sure if Dhawan can play anywhere except opening. That leaves Rohit - he needs time (more than Kohli) to get set so play him at 3. Kohli at 4 will stabilize the middle order.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I just hope we figure out how to get our middle order guys proper game practice. As others have pointed out with IPL and the Vijay Hazare Trophy played on such flat decks, we need to use the A team program to identify the right guys to blood into the roles required for the side. Hope whoever is the new coach can work with Dravid and get it done.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Rohit was stinking up odi cricket down the order and came good when promoted, why put him back there?
I dont understand people sometimes. Rohit used to suck so bad in ODIs lower down the order, people then said, 'oh ODI pressure is too much for him, give him a go in Tests" this is when he wasnt given a test debut for the longest period.

Rohit sucks in Tests.

Rohit also becomes a gun ODI opener at the same time

But now people want him back to the position where he sucked big time

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS exclusively uses New Posts and User Subscriptions to browse the forum and therefore doesn't notice when things are/aren't stickied, tbh.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How the hell does Jadhav get a wicket every time :laugh: WAG

Shami still India's best bowler. More consistent than Umesh and bowls more special deliveries than Umesh too.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Congrats Team India on the series win.

Congrats to Kohli on yet another century while chasing.

Kuldeep Yadav, I hope stays on. That kid has the world of talent, also an impeccable smiler(cricinfo profile pic).

Shri

Mr. Glass
PEWS exclusively uses New Posts and User Subscriptions to browse the forum and therefore doesn't notice when things are/aren't stickied, tbh.
Referring to yourself in the 3rd person? Has the bot taken over your programming completely?