• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 CWC

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The other Aussie who i think debuts is Jhye Richardson. Played T20Is last summer when the Test squad was in India, so a good BBL is impoetant.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyways, bit too early but if things remain relatively unchanged India should be favourites. Won't have the burden of playing Ashwin, Kuldeep/Chahal are coming on fine and we've got a great record in recent tournaments in England with very similar personnel. Hopefully Dhoni can pull his weight.

I also eagerly await the two constants in these tournaments. One being the group stages being rigged to include both India-Pak in the same group and two being SA losing another knockout.

cnerd123

likes this
So it's clear that the Top 10 ODI sides have qualified for the World Cup. The last two spots will be competed for between:

Zimbabwe
Ireland
Afghanistan
Netherlands
Scotland
Hong Kong
Paupa New Guinea
The top two teams of the ICC World Cricket League Division 2 - to be held in Namibia in Feb 2018.

The qualifiers are going to be held in Zimbabwe in 2018. It's shaping up to be really interesting tbh. I expect Afghanistan to make it through, Ireland/Zim favourites for the second spot, but any of the 4 teams below them can pull off an upset on their day. Should be exciting.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
They have given Ire/Afg test status even, can't they give them direct entry in the WC and make it 14 teams.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I'm kinda hoping they just flake and change the whole structure of the WC last minute.

16 teams, 4 pools of 4 teams each, leading in quarters-semis-finals, is quite a fun format. Can still do the Qualifiers, except now the top 6 teams from that join the 10 automatic entry ones. Ireland, Afghanistan and Zim basically guaranteed entry this way too.

OverratedSanity

Anyways, bit too early but if things remain relatively unchanged India should be favourites. Won't have the burden of playing Ashwin, Kuldeep/Chahal are coming on fine and we've got a great record in recent tournaments in England with very similar personnel. Hopefully Dhoni can pull his weight.

I also eagerly await the two constants in these tournaments. One being the group stages being rigged to include both India-Pak in the same group and two being SA losing another knockout.
Nah the team is far too flawed atm. The middle order has been rubbish.

Daemon

Nah the team is far too flawed atm. The middle order has been rubbish.
Look at the competition though. Only England have a good middle order. NZ is decent but who knows what Taylor will be like in 2019. SA gonna SA in tournaments.

vcs

Look at the competition though. Only England have a good middle order. NZ is decent but who knows what Taylor will be like in 2019. SA gonna SA in tournaments.
Yeah, I think all the teams are flawed and India's flaws are no worse than the others. It's nice to have a decent bowling attack as well, one that looks to take wickets all the time. Saying that, we've bowled well in other ICC tournaments recently and then flopped massively in one big knockout match, so it's too early to conclude anything.

On paper, I think India and Australia are ahead of the rest, and Pakistan also have a good ODI side at the moment with recent finds like Hasan Ali and Shadab Khan. It will come down to who can string 2-3 performances together in the knockout matches, basically.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I can't imagine India winning the tournament unless BUmrah all of a sudden becomes a threat outside of India against better sides. How many ODIs are India playing against Eng, SA, Aus and Pak away? Leading up to the WC ofc. That will prove what BUmrah has, if he has anything.

The thing is, tournaments are mostly won off the back of very good bowling, especially in England (the first WCs, '99 and CT2017). I know pitches are flatter but with the hopefully hot, dry spells of summer, reverse swing and pace plays a part. India lack that, which means their batting REALLY has to score and do so, every single match.

With the way the tournament is set up (all ten teams in a single group having to play each other) that means India have to score big in at least 4 or 5 of the 9 games. Barring rain and so on. Is that possible? I highly doubt it.

As long as things go the way they should in 2018, with players developing the way they should and staying fit, England, Australia or Pakistan will be the winners.

India may make a semi. I don't hold out much hope for SA (no idea if Amla and ABD will make it that far and if Steyn/Philander/Morkel will be around). SL will probably get worse and NZ are always the bridesmaids.

Anyway, it is the most interesting world cup build up since 2011.

Erik

Cricket Spectator
So it's clear that the Top 10 ODI sides have qualified for the World Cup. The last two spots will be competed for between:

Zimbabwe
Ireland
Afghanistan
Netherlands
Scotland
Hong Kong
Paupa New Guinea
The top two teams of the ICC World Cricket League Division 2 - to be held in Namibia in Feb 2018.

Hi, the 2019 WC will not have 12, but rather 10 teams as things stand. So only the top 8 teams have qualified, with two others coming from the qualifiers, which will feature the teams that you've mentioned, plus the Windies.

I wish they'd expand it to 16 teams, but I'm afraid that it's a bit too late if it didn't happen at the last ICC meeting. There's still another meeting left before the qualifiers, so I'll hope that they change things at the last moment.

Last edited:

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Hi, the 2019 WC will not have 12, but rather 10 teams as things stand. So only the top 8 teams have qualified, with two others coming from the qualifiers, which will feature the teams that you've mentioned, plus the Windies.

I wish they'd expand it to 16 teams, but I'm afraid that it's a bit too late if it didn't happen at the last ICC meeting. There's still another meeting left before the qualifiers, so I'll hope that they change things at the last moment.
The way the format is, even with 10 teams they have far too many matches.

It would make more sense to have groups in the opening stage, rather than a round robin. As it stands, the entire tournament will feature 48 matches. The football world cup, with 22 more teams had only 16 more games. It's just too long.

2 groups of 5 means the opening stage has 32 matches. The top 2 teams from each group qualify and play their semis and then the final. That's a total of 35 matches. It makes the tournament shorter and more to the point without any of the useless fluff.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The whole idea about the all plays all is it replicates the format of 1992 that was universally regarded as the best of any World Cup.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The whole idea about the all plays all is it replicates the format of 1992 that was universally regarded as the best of any World Cup.
It was indeed a great tournament, except the rain rules. This time we have DLS to take care of that. I'm totally on board with 2019 WC concept. I know I'm in the minority but that's fine.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in England they don't.

I'm sure their preparation will be much better for the WC compared to this CT, but you must be a little concerned over their performances in the mother country over the last decade or so.
You're conflating formats. Australia lose in England in Tests.

ODIs are a different ball game. The pitches and conditions are totally different. Pretty sure they won the ODI series in 05 and 09. Can't remember if there was one in 2013. And in 2015, even with the new explosive England side, Australia still won.

If it's a World Cup, they are favourites. I don't care where it's at.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The favourites for me are

England (home and all)
Australia (because they're the greatest ODI side ever)
India (solid team)
Pakistan (winner of last major ODI tournament)