• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Man They Called 'Bunter'

smash84

The Tiger King
Quite enjoyed the article Fred, much more than i thought i would. Lots of detail i would have never known about Barlow in there.

SeamUp

International Coach
Fantastic piece mate.

My parents actually knew him when they had a farm at Klapmuts and they would have dinners together.

According to my old man he changed WP and SA cricket.

In the 50s we started to produce more competitive teams because we had McGlew, Goddard, Waite, McLean, Tayfield, Adcock & Heine but only in the 60s did we start to play a more positive brand of cricket and he was a large part of that.

Western Province cricket was falling to pieces and he came down and was made captain and he made us a dominant force with Transvaal again. Very big on fitness. They would run up the mountain and down again pre-season. The rather sturdy Hylton Ackerman said I'm here to play cricket and not run, Barlow basically said if you don't run you won't be in my WP team. Professionalism before it's time.