• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's 1975 Twenty/20 team

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
.......if there'd been such a thing. I thought it might have been an interesting exercise to ponder, but I'm not so sure how other countries would fair. As far as England are concerned there aren't too many non-Test players in contention. I've bunged in David Hughes as a token left field selection. Botham was 19 at the time and showing promise but not really achieving a great deal.

1.Amiss
2.Jameson
3.Hayes
4.Gooch
5.Greig
6.Knott
7.Woolmer
8.Hughes
9.Old
10.Snow
11.Underwood

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you go for the six most productive batsmen in the John Player League (ignoring Sir Geoffrey), the four most economical bowlers and Knotty and you get

Dennis Amiss
John Jameson
Brian Luckhurst
Jack Hampshire
Keith Fletcher
Tony Greig
Alan Knott
Butch White
Malcolm Nash
Bob Ratcliffe
John Spencer

Interesting that the batsman are all names who were Test players whereas all the bowlers are county trundlers whose names will probably mean nothing to anyone other than LT, me and AndrewB

If you replace those four bowlers with those with the best averages rather than the best economy rate you still get two journeymen, top was a new one, John Rice, and Nash is there - the other two would be more familiar, Derek Underwood and Geoff Arnold just ahead of Snow

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair fred, I suspect most people would at least recognise Nash's name, albeit not for anything he did per se.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Barry Wood (who played in the 1975 World Cup) would presumably be in the running.

Tom Cartwright was coming to the end of his career by 1975 and didn't play many games, but had an excellent average and economy rate when he did.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This is probably against the spirit intended by LT in this thread.......but the team would have been the same as the test team back in the day.

We'd have been opening with Geoffrey Boycott and a good innings score would have been 120-130.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barry Wood (who played in the 1975 World Cup) would presumably be in the running.

Tom Cartwright was coming to the end of his career by 1975 and didn't play many games, but had an excellent average and economy rate when he did.
My immediate reaction on seeing the opening post was to castigate LT for leaving out 'Flat Jack', but in fact he clearly didn't have his best List A season in '75

AndrewB

This is probably against the spirit intended by LT in this thread.......but the team would have been the same as the test team back in the day.

We'd have been opening with Geoffrey Boycott and a good innings score would have been 120-130.
Except 1975 was during Boycott's 3-year exile.

Looking at the ODI scores of the 70s, 120-130 might be pushing it. Unless they played 20 8-ball overs.

Kirkut

International Regular
1. Kris Srikkanth
2. Farokh Engineer
3. Gundappa Vishwanathan
4. Mohinder Amarnath
5. Kapil Dev
6. Karsan Ghavri
7. Bishen Bedi
8. Venkataraghavan
9. Madan Lal
10. Syed Abid Ali
11. Eknath Solkar

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
1. Kris Srikkanth
2. Farokh Engineer
3. Gundappa Vishwanathan
4. Mohinder Amarnath
5. Kapil Dev
6. Karsan Ghavri
7. Bishen Bedi
8. Venkataraghavan
9. Madan Lal
10. Syed Abid Ali
11. Eknath Solkar
I'm not sure that 15 year old Kris Srikkanth would be a contender. But at least someone else has had a go. :cool:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Barry Richards*
Henry Fotheringham
Hylton Ackerman
Graeme Pollock
Peter Kirsten
Lee Irvine+
Clive Rice
Mike Procter
Garth Le Roux
Denys Hobson
Vince van der Bijl

Taking a few liberties, but over all a pretty attacking team. Would love to see Pollock, Richards, Kirsten, Rice and Procter just going for it....

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm not sure that 15 year old Kris Srikkanth would be a contender. But at least someone else has had a go. :cool:
Given that 16 year old Tendulkar could hit Qadir for 4 sixes in an over, I have hopes from Srikkanth:happy:

Still better than Sunil Gavaskar. :ph34r:

We would probably have a 27/2 in 20 overs if he was the opener. :laugh:
I wanted a solid batsman in my t20 side and was undecided between Gavaskar and Vishwanathan first. But then it's well known that Vishwanathan was relatively more free flowing in his batting.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Without looking at stats

Stackpole
Marsh +
I.Chappell *
G.Chappell
Walters
Cosier
Gilmour
Mallett
Walker
Lillee
Thommo

AndrewB

Going largely by their World Cup XI, the WI XI would be along the lines of

Roy Fredericks
Gordon Greenidge
Alvin Kallicharran
Viv Richards
Clive Lloyd
Deryck Murray
Bernard Julien
Keith Boyce
Andy Roberts
Vanburn Holder
Michael Holding

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Without looking at stats

Stackpole
Marsh +
I.Chappell *
G.Chappell
Walters
Cosier
Gilmour
Mallett
Walker
Lillee
Thommo
Keith Stackpole is an interesting one. He retired in 1974, but had there been a lucrative Twenty/20 league in operation he might have carried on.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ

Glenn Turner
Mark Burgess
Geoff Howarth
Bevan Congdon 7
Jeremy Coney 6
Bruce Taylor 5
Ken Wadsworth+
Sir Dick Hadlee 1
Lance Cairns 3