• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cricket - New TV rights negotiations/deal

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It will be a disaster if it does.

I do wonder, if it departs Channel Nine will the deification of Kerry Packer finally subside?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd hope so.

I wonder if Seven might be interested in it now Nine has the tennis rights.

stephen

If 7 for the rights I wonder who they could get to commentate. Are Ponting, Fleming and co contacted to 10? What about Tubbs, Clarke and the channel 9 boys. AB?

Most of the former living captains are commentators already and 7 doesn't have the rights to any of them. We could be getting a bunch of ex AFL players commentating.

Burgey

Nine won't want to keep blokes on their payroll at several hundred grand a year each who aren't working though.

Burgey

If Cricket goes to Fox you can see the by line for the coverage as “Hard but fair and balanced.”

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Stensholt reporting that Seven, Ten sharing FTA with Fox Sports getting simulcast rights to everything and some international & BBL exclusively.

Borges

International Regular
So what's wrong with Foxtel picking up the broadcast rights? If CA can make them cough up more than Channel Nine, it's all for the good, isn't it?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You don't want a Paywall put up for cricket...Some serious money though. Im kinda hoping 10 scoop this up though

Starfighter

If the BBL ends up back on Fox (or a proportion of it) it'll be interesting to se what happens to ground attendances.

Burgey

Bruce McAvaney commentating on cricket...
Bruce would actually be an awesome pre-game host. Knows what he doesn’t know.

Really hoping the Nine blokes mostly get a rest. Would like to see a Bill cameo now and then, but otherwise I hope they pick up the aren’t blokes who’ve been doing the BBL comms with TOTAB and probably Julian having a fair presence on Foxtel.

No Deano plz

howardj

International Coach
Just to summarize the details:

Channel Nine has lost the cricket rights totally, to Foxtel and Channel Seven.

CA Australia receives up to $600 million from its just expired five-year deal. Of this, $500m is generated by Nine’s international rights and $100m comes from Ten’s BBL.

New deal is one billion over six years (most of which would be paid by Foxtel who will show every Australian cricket match home and overseas (including all Big Bash)).

Seven will only show Test matches in Australia, and selected Big Bash games.

One-day Internationals will be exclusively on Fox who will have a 24-hour cricket channel in HD

howardj

International Coach
Nine won't want to keep blokes on their payroll at several hundred grand a year each who aren't working though.
I doubt they are contracted as their contracts surely would have dovetailed with the expiration of the old cricket rights deal which has just expired.