• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who 'over-performed' internationally

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Very good call. I don't remember anyone on CW predicting the level of success he enjoyed.

Stuart Broad may well be another.
yeah for an orthodox finger spinner playing out of england with none of the modern day finger spinners tricks, he didn't do bad.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
yeah for an orthodox finger spinner playing out of england with none of the modern day finger spinners tricks, he didn't do bad.
Swann did benefit from the advent of DRS to be fair. But he's still the best English spinner I've seen since Underwood.

Another English contender is Michael Vaughan.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC Shane Warne averaged mid-30's for Victoria.

Though TBF he's far from the only recent Australian to have a better Test average than a Shield average.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IIRC Shane Warne averaged mid-30's for Victoria.

Though TBF he's far from the only recent Australian to have a better Test average than a Shield average.
Even Warne's test average feels high considering his status as arguable GOAT bowler

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
given vaughan's ceiling, i think there's a case he under performed.

he looked truly elite in 2002-2003.
I suppose both statements are true for Vaughan. His golden spell way exceeded his FC record at that stage. Maybe the captaincy adversely affected his batting thereafter.

Kirkut

International Regular
VVS Laxman. Before he made that epic 167 in Sydney, he was 'just another batsman' in the team. And of course I don't need to get started on 281.

fredfertang

Came here to mention David Gower, whose Test/FC averages are 44/40 - had expected the difference to be bigger tbh - he never looked in the slightest bit interested when I saw him play for Leicestershire or Hampshire

kingkallis

International Coach
Hashim Amla looked completely out of place and then bounced back like anything.

Rangana Herath did surprise me as well with his success.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
When Ganguly was selected for the 1996 tour to England, everybody (except the selectors) just knew it was going to be his last series. Harsha Bhogle called him a quota player. Ex-players like Sandeep Patil, Bishan Bedi, Ravi Shastri didn't rate Ganguly at all.

Gnske

Typical Englishman re: Barrington, can't handle good fast bowling.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
When Ganguly was selected for the 1996 tour to England, everybody (except the selectors) just knew it was going to be his last series. Harsha Bhogle called him a quota player. Ex-players like Sandeep Patil, Bishan Bedi, Ravi Shastri didn't rate Ganguly at all.
He came in as a replacement for Sidhu I believe.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His FC average is quite a bit higher than his Test one, doesn't really count at all.

Trescothick, maybe? Though his FC average post-Test retirement is over 50, so probably just England getting lucky on him improving rapidly around the time he got selected for the Test side.
according to who?
Could be wrong, but I remember reading tons of posts on here about how he didn't have the technique for test cricket at all.