• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who used to be your favourite

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably Boyks when I first got into cricket, followed by Gatting who I was an unrelenting fanboy of, but I loved Gower too, next probably Stewart. Then dovetailed neatly into Flintoff.

Since him it's probably Cook, but with a bit of Broad and Jimmeh thrown in. I love Moeen too obvs, but it's kinda different. I realise he is probably lacking in many ways as a Test cricketer, but he's still great to watch when flowing. A bit like I liked John Morris

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin has always been my favourite. After Sachin, it has been Jadeja. Love Lara, Jayasuriya and Warne as well.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Asif Iqbal, Alan Knott and Derek Underwood (Kent being my team). Tony Greig and John Snow. Viv Richards and Ian Botham, who brightened up many a Sunday afternoon spent in Taunton. Then Allan Lamb into the 80's............., no one really specific after that. Many players I enjoyed watching but no real favourite as such.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ramps, would say it taught me a valuable lesson but I was doing the same with Vince last summer.

Athers was another huge early favourite.

Bowling wise, Ambrose.

cpr

International Coach
Do I really need to **** off Heath by declaring my undying love for Glen Chapple??

Yes, yes I do.

Kirkut

International Regular
In early 2000's I found Ponting to be the best six hitter I had ever seen, ahead of Lara and Tendulkar, even though he was a small man he could hit bigger sixes than Gilchrist. This excitement was subdued when I discovered his six hitting ability was more due to the kahuna graphite bat than natural ability.

Still one of my favourite players but I don't see him as crazily destructive player as I used to see him earlier.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha you really think the graphite strip was more instrumental in his six hitting than his ability? It likely added **** all imo.

OverratedSanity

Jayasuriya used to be my favourite too before it was exposed that he cheated by hiding metal springs in his bat.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's not the graphite, it's the ability.

I think you hate abilities.

Kirkut

International Regular
Haha you really think the graphite strip was more instrumental in his six hitting than his ability? It likely added **** all imo.
MCC did ban graphite bat for a reason. The last Ponting used the graphite bat was in his 164 vs SA in ODIs, if you see Cricinfo stats there is a decline in number of sixes being hit per ODI innings after that knock.

OverratedSanity

MCC did ban graphite bat for a reason. The last Ponting used the graphite bat was in his 164 vs SA in ODIs, if you see Cricinfo stats there is a decline in number of sixes being hit per ODI innings after that knock.
The graphite strip was banned a few months before that 438 match, so no.

Daemon

Nah don't think it made any difference.

Of course I'm not surprised Ponting tried to cheat as usual though. Cheating bunch of Aussies. #sydney08never4get

Shri

Mr. Glass
The graphite strip was banned a few months before that 438 match, so no.
No

Ponting impressed with new bat | The Border Mail

Test cricket’s No.1-ranked batsman gave his favourite Kookaburra bat one last hit-out in Sunday’s historic one-day international in Johannesburg, scoring a brilliant 164 in his side’s world-record total of 4/434 before South Africa got up by one wicket with 9/438.

“It’s frustrating having to change my graphite-covered Kahuna, particularly after scoring 164 on Sunday, but I’m extremely pleased with the new bat that Kookaburra has developed at such short notice,” Ponting said in Cape Town yesterday.

vcs

Well, his brilliant form lasted at least a year or so after that. He was nearly impossible to get out at the World Cup as well.

Shady Slim

International Coach
chaminda vaas was my first ever favourite player

when i went to primary school in the cut-and-paste-put-your-name letter sleeves in those single coloured pencil cases i always put "V-A-A-S" from preschool to year one or two