• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Looking Cricket Grounds

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Worcester

My local ground, Birchgrove Oval. None prettier in Sydney imo

Edit: more Birchgrove, cos it's seriously beautiful, in the best part of Sydney and it's full of history - the first Rugby League game in Australia was played here in 1908, plus my grandfather played here for the Tigers before WW2. I take Burgeinho down for a net there pretty often. Its one of my favourite places in Sydney.

It amazes me that a cricket club has managed to hold onto this sort of prime real estate..........I mean I think it's fantastic but still amazing. That land must be worth more than some cricket playing nations!!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it's worth a ****load. It's public land though, owned by the local council. Surprising they haven't tried to flog it off, but the community would go ape**** if they tried.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Worcester

Shout.

Dozing in deck-chair’s gentle curve,
Through half-closed eyes I watched the cricket,
Flowing the sporting press would say
‘Perks bowled well on a perfect wicket’.

Fierce mid-day sun upon the ground;
Through heat-haze came the hollow sound
Of wary bat on ball, to pound
The devil out of it, quell its bound.

Sunburned fieldsmen, flannelled cream
Seemed, though urgent, scarce alive,
Swooped, like swallows of a dream,
On skimming fly, the hard-hit drive.

Beyond the score-box, through the trees
Gleamed Severn, blue and wide,
Where oarsmen ‘feathered’ with polished ease
And passed in gentle glide.

The back-cloth, setting off the setting,
Peter’s cathedral soared,
Rich of shade and fine of fretting
Like cut and painted board.

To the cathedral, close for shelter
Huddled houses, bent and slim,
Some tall, some short, all helter-skelter,
Like a sky-line drawn for Grimm.

This the fanciful engraver might
In his creative dream have seen,
Here, framed by summer’s glaring light,
Grey stone, majestic over green.

Closer, the bowler’s arm swept down,
The ball swung, swerved and darted,
Stump and bail flashed and flew ;
The batsman pensively departed.

Like rattle of dry seeds in pods
The warm crowd faintly clapped,
The boys who came to watch their gods,
The tired old men who napped.

The members sat in their strong deck-chairs
And sometimes glanced at the play,
They smoked, and talked of stocks and shares,
And the bar stayed open all day.

-"Cricket at Worcester", John Arlott

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it's worth a ****load. It's public land though, owned by the local council. Surprising they haven't tried to flog it off, but the community would go ape**** if they tried.
Not only havent sold it but have actually invested in it as well

Back in the day (i.e. jurassic period), it had no fence and a couple of dodgy malthoid pitches

_Ed_

I'll give a bit of love as well to my new local, Cobham Oval, which will hopefully add to its one ODI soon (apparently we might get a West Indies game next summer).

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Galle is a nice ground.

I understand there's a ground in Vancouver which is beautiful

I used to know someone who was a member of 16 of the (at that time) 17 FC counties (he wouldn't join Yorkshire) and spent his whole summer traveling round the circuit. He said that Tunbridge Wells was the best FC ground in the country - having played there I confirm it is superb.

Not a FC ground, but they could easily play FC cricket there, but Charterhouse School has majesty - Dulwich College also, but not quite as much.

A couple of years back I stood in a game at Luddersdown in Kent. Having stood at The Oval the day before this was a polar opposite - the most villagey of village grounds. No road visible (the only, very quiet one was hidden by trees), very picturesque with rolling fields, a most intriguing, and at points quite dramatic slope - regular bowlers there most definitely would have a favored end. The only non cricketing sound heard all afternoon was the buzz of a Spitfire giving joy rides from an airfield several miles away.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Apart from the cathedral in the background I don't think New Road has a whole lot going for it and is overrated. The grounds a mismatch of old and new buildings and I find it ugly.

The wicket is probably the worst in England too (not that that has any relevance to how the ground looks). Devoid of any pace or bounce, doesn't spin or even swing/seam much. Not really their fault though given it gets flooded evey year and never dries out as a result.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't there a ground in Zim and one in England that had a tree in the outfield?
I know Canterbury had one that was well known as a FC ground, but plenty of club grounds have them as well. I played at a club in London that had one at backward square just outside the circle, hitting it on the full was only four - no matter whether it was going to be caught, not go to the boundary or indeed over it.

Burgey

A couple of the grade grounds in Sydney are pretty cool too. North Sydney Oval is gorgeous and Drummoyne has a speccie back drop too.

social

I know Canterbury had one that was well known as a FC ground, but plenty of club grounds have them as well. I played at a club in London that had one at backward square just outside the circle, hitting it on the full was only four - no matter whether it was going to be caught, not go to the boundary or indeed over it.
Guy I played with made a fortune from in-flight magazines (basically invented the concept and had the rights for BA and a heap of other airlines)

Went onto buy this beautiful village in the south of England and constructed a ground with a tree at one end and a pub at the other

Explained it away by saying that apart from his wife (and she was gorgeous), the three loves of his life were cricket, trees on the outfield and the local boozer

Only in England

SeamUp

International Coach
Still the most beautiful

Old Newlands

New Newlands

St Vincent is pretty cool as well

For odd stadium design like a dodgy car park - Feroz Shah Kotla

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Chipstead, Coulsdon and Walcountains CC in Surrey have two inside the boundary, very close to each other.

I have had to explain to players of FC level that, should they throw the ball and it touch even a branch on one of those that 4 runs would be added to those already scored - so be very careful around them.

It's quite fun to see a fielder slalom between the two to get to the ball.

social

A couple of the grade grounds in Sydney are pretty cool too. North Sydney Oval is gorgeous and Drummoyne has a speccie back drop too.
Mosman, Village Green, etc

Havent been to any of the grounds for a while but Brisbane in the 90s was at the other end of the spectrum.

Played my first match against Easts and their home ground was like those fields around Moore Park but worse - basically a big open paddock that required flags to mark the boundary with a council toilet block as the dressing room