• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW votes- The greatest ODI teams of all time (Australia)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The bloke at 5 never played an ODI due to apartheid, but had a list a average of 50. On paper as good as Aus but would possibly choke

Amla
QDK wk
Kallis
ABDV
G Pollock
Jonty
Klusener
S Pollock
Ntini/Morkek/Steyn/
Donald
Tahir

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia's AT team would beat WI's AT XI 6-7 times out of 10, and others even more frequently. They were incredible. 3 consecutive WC's and 28 consecutive WC matches or whatever it was, and a couple of ICC CT's on top of that, doesn't lie. One more point in their favour is that their best team played together for most of their dominant era, and won things together (this is something that goes against Pakistan and SA's AT XIs, lots of great players, but distributed across eras). At their peak, they were able to consistently win everywhere, even in bilateral series in India, SA etc.

vcs

Isn't this a little backwards? West Indies and England's AT test XI's would be pretty close to Australia's, but in ODIs they're comfortably the best on paper. That top order of Gilchrist-Waugh/Hayden/Watson-Ponting-Jones-Bevan-Symonds/Hussey is more stacked than any combination you can put together from West Indies.
Struggling to compare England's all-time ODI XI with other countries. They've been mediocre for so long, I guess (much improved now, obviously). SA would be much closer to Australia on paper, as would SL and India/Pakistan IMO.

Zinzan

The bloke at 5 never played an ODI due to apartheid, but had a list a average of 50. On paper as good as Aus but would possibly choke

Amla
QDK wk
Kallis
ABDV
G Pollock
Jonty
Klusener
S Pollock
Ntini/Morkek/Steyn/
Donald
Tahir
I'll have a crack at SA shortly, but surely there's a better number 6 batting option than Jonty.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well Hansie is better, but an average of 35 @ sr of 80 was very good for that era. I also didn't pick Herschelle Gibbs, but wanted another gun fielder besides AB

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well Hansie is better, but an average of 35 @ sr of 80 was very good for that era. I also didn't pick Herschelle Gibbs, but wanted another gun fielder besides AB
The other option is one of Gibbs, Smith or a Kirsten in the top 3 with everyone moving down one, or Faf in the middle order

Dendarii

International Debutant
Rhodes only averaged 32 at 6, but he averaged 40.8 at 5, so he's actually better off one position higher.

Zinzan

The other option is one of Gibbs, Smith or a Kirsten in the top 3 with everyone moving down one, or Faf in the middle order
Sounds better already that. I'd like to choose G Pollock too, but it's probably cheating since he never played an international ODI, so I'd go with;

Gibbs
QDK+
Amla
Faf
AB
MIller
Klusener
S Pollock
Fannie de Villiers
Donald
Tahir

Other option is Smith for Miller and QDK to bat at 6 allowing Smith to open...

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds better already that. I'd like to choose G Pollock too, but it's probably cheating since he never played an international ODI, so I'd go with;

Gibbs
QDK+
Amla
Faf
AB
MIller
Klusener
S Pollock
Fannie de Villiers
Donald
Tahir

Other option is Smith for Miller and QDK to bat at 6 allowing Smith to open...
Good call on FDV but you've left out Kallis

Burgey

Of course you could start a thread about SA's greatest ODI side of all time, but hey, whatever.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
With some discussion on the forums recently about the greatest ODI players, it may be good to run some threads to decide on the greatest ODI XIs from each nations and then the all time ODI XI from all nations. Over the next few weeks I will run threads to votes and discuss on these teams. Could be interesting conversations around different eras etc as well.

First up is Australia, a consistently successful ODI team and the most successful at World Cups. Please vote as players are presented within the thread to keep things tidy. Other players may be voted for if you wish.
Or alternatively everyone could just **** this idea up for you and start discussing any nations in this first thread intended for Australia.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Perhaps if we could sort of keep the conversation to the position/team/nation that'd be good.

Red

Mark Waugh goes thru just ahead of Watson, who will feature later in the middle order/all rounder spots as well.

Red

Next spots for selection are the pace bowlers. Australia has traditionally played three pace bowlers, so please select three of the following to form the pace attack:

Brett Lee

Glenn McGrath

Mitchell Johnson

Craig McDermott

Nathan Bracken

Jason Gillespie

Damian Fleming

Mitchell Starc

Dennis Lillee