• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook steps down as England captain

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair to Cook, you'd wear yourself out pretty quickly if you had to keep running into the change room to ask Trevor Bayliss what to do next. I'm not surprised he got tired. Will be interesting to see if Root is any better.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
I feel Root might be defensive as a captain. England needs someone aggressive but then again getting Stokes would be too harsh because he is a sort of player who gives his all in every little thing on the field and expects the same from others. Moeen Ali seems to me as a better prospect for the captain's job but looking at the fact that Root's the favorite, I don't think that is going to happen to Mo.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Moeen should first secure his spot in the side. He is a few short balls away from being dropped.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
He can fill in as a spinner if he can't contribute with the bat. Root would most likely take the pressure of captainship on to himself which I fear will affect his batting.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd give the captaincy to Stokes and I'm not even memeing in the slightest. Just a hunch about him as compared to Root.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd give the captaincy to Stokes and I'm not even memeing in the slightest. Just a hunch about him as compared to Root.
Wouldn't that make him push even harder. He might break down as a cricketer. Stokes is one of my favorite cricketers but he gives so much to the team in the field I wouldn't want to burden him with captaincy. He is England's one of the better batsman, certainly the best fielder and a good partnership breaker as a bowler. Give the guy room to live I would say.

England side has changed a lot in the recent past which is why this is very difficult to pick anyone else but Root. Only if there were any set aggressive players apart from Stokes who has too much to do already. That reminds me is there any history of Bairstow leading a side at the junior level?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuine question..........do any of you that are voicing concerns over Joe Roots capabilities to be skip have any more substantial reasoning except that he has a baby face and smiles a lot??

58063576.jpg

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To be fair to Cook, you'd wear yourself out pretty quickly if you had to keep running into the change room to ask Trevor Bayliss what to do next. I'm not surprised he got tired. Will be interesting to see if Root is any better.
Especially when we won away to India three years before Bayliss was coach. They were some long runs.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Don't know why you would assume this tbh.
english captains personal performance usually only goes one way.

edit: i take it all back, mostly just vaughan skewing my perception. strauss and hussain fell off as well but not to the same effect.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
if bairstow was to be an option you'd probably have to take the gloves off him.

key top 6 batsman, keeper, captain seems like a big workload.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seen him mentioned in dispatches but if that is the case then Buttler has to come in and take the gloves.

I also saw someone in the media suggest Broad - the only way I can see that happening would be to keep Morgan in a white ball job (although I would argue Broad should be in the ODI side at least compared to the puss that is Liam Plunkett.

Root taking the captaincy could work best though as it stands to reason he becomes all format captain which means we can relieve Morgan of the middle order spot he's taking up at the moment.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bairstow an option?
I'd say so yes, for sure. The only other possible candidates would be Stokes and I guess Broad. So really it's gotta be Root, but I'd imagine those other names would at least be discussed.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What leadership experience does Root have? Not saying he shouldn`t lead just asking.
LOL, I heard today that he earnt himself the nickname "craptain" at Yorkshire after his one and only stint at the job in County. Make of that what you will.