• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dreadful series/matches by good/great players

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah it was tough to watch. I suspect that's how they would have gone about it IMO if things became too untenable.

BTW, he carried on for a year and a half in Tests after he got his 100th 100. That was just him thinking he was good enough, when he actually wasn't. Happens to many greats. No selfishness involved.
Think he did get a nudge at that time actually. Just a theory but the series being planned out just for his retirement spoke of it, as well as how his ODI retirement was basically just a press release.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And Dravid in 07/08 Australia is one of the best examples of a player getting back to form after being dreadful at the beginning of the series.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And Dravid in 07/08 Australia is one of the best examples of a player getting back to form after being dreadful at the beginning of the series.
I don't think he got back into form. He was playing like crap even at the end of the series. But he still found a way to make some hugely important runs, especially at Perth. That's what made it great.

OverratedSanity

Yeah it was tough to watch. I suspect that's how they would have gone about it IMO if things became too untenable.

BTW, he carried on for a year and a half in Tests after he got his 100th 100. That was just him thinking he was good enough, when he actually wasn't. Happens to many greats. No selfishness involved.
Yeah I agree.

Almost everyone wrote him off in 05-06 and he was called selfish by guys like manjrekar and Chappell even back then. If he had retired then, we'd have missed out on his whole second golden run in 2007-11.

Maybe Sachin in his head was thinking he genuinely could get back to that level again. He proved everyone wrong once, probably thought he could do it again, but it wasn't to be.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Denis Compton scored 3,0,0,23,5,0,11 and 11* in 1950/51, particularly odd as in the First Class matches outside the Tests he scored four centuries and averaged 75

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
What about Shane Warne in that series in India when he was carted around by Sidhu and Sachin? I don't remember the stats but do remember that it was a pretty ordinary series for him while he had a massive reputation in the lead up to the series.

OverratedSanity

What about Shane Warne in that series in India when he was carted around by Sidhu and Sachin? I don't remember the stats but do remember that it was a pretty ordinary series for him while he had a massive reputation in the lead up to the series.
He bowled OK. Just got smashed by good players of spin.

He was genuinely awful in the windies tour in 99. The stats aren't pretty :

Cricket Records | Records | The Frank Worrell Trophy, 1998/99 | Most wickets | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Daemon

Kohli in England in 2014, can't believe it hasn't got a mention yet.

Lara had a shocking series against SA in the late '90s, think they lost 5-0 and there was some turmoil among the board and players at that time.
Was this just before he silenced everyone with the 153? 5-0 totally worth that innings :wub:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Good one, he just never got going that series.
He came into it as Australia's big ace in the hole too, Ponting/Warne aside. Averaged about 70 over the previous year and had built a reputation as forever putting Aus back on top as soon as they were 5 down for not many. Instead he made no fifties all series and the rescuing was left up to Warne and Lee.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I think he might've called it a day if he'd tonned up in the World Cup Final. You don't get a much better fairytale ending than that.

Daemon

I think he might've called it a day if he'd tonned up in the World Cup Final. You don't get a much better fairytale ending than that.
Yeah, quite possible, though I think he would've liked to get on the Lord's honours board and tour England and Australia, 100th 100 achieved by then or not.

He took a massive 1 year break from ODIs after the WC though, and imo he only returned after he realised he wasn't getting that 100th ton in the tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah he just loved playing cricket and knew nothing else except cricket. He wasn't retiring after the world cup as the best batsman in the world, which he was at the time. He was always going to run that tank empty.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Lara's series in RSA in 98 was bad (averaged around 30 odd) but I wouldn't call it dreadful. Dreadful was his very last series in New Zealand where he got owned and only made 80 or so in the last dead rubber test.