• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

Bijed

International Regular
Hameed 4 from 56. I know he's noted as a slow scorer, but has he let his poor run get into his head a bit much and has started playing unnecessarily defensively?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Been watching this Somerset Lancs game. Leach bowling nicely. Last three wickets all dodgy umpiring decisions imo. Livingstone played nicely - looks good against spin even when defending - probably why he got all those runs in SL with the lions last winter.

Also had COverton claiming one at slip that clearly bounced before it arrived - then again it was against Livingstone who has form of his own on the cheating front.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been watching this Somerset Lancs game. Leach bowling nicely. Last three wickets all dodgy umpiring decisions imo. Livingstone played nicely - looks good against spin even when defending - probably why he got all those runs in SL with the lions last winter.

Also had COverton claiming one at slip that clearly bounced before it arrived - then again it was against Livingstone who has form of his own on the cheating front.
I mean Leach does seem to have come through the controversy and has still had a better season than the likes of Kerrigan, Parry, and the guy that was considered along side him for squads last year Rayner. Don't see any point in him going to Oz, but hope he gets an A team slot along with Bess and Crane, as they clearly seem the next best ATM.

Got the West Indies first, which will spin, then a concurrent side in Oz I think. Which is why, IMHO, they shouldn't even look at Crane for the senior squad, much better in him playing in this, and being ready in case of injury or they feel a pitch looks big for spin. Pick Rashid, ya know what you'll get and there's no point in him playing any more Loins.

SeamUp

International Coach
6 in 14 seasons to be precise (1979-1992). Not that Essex is especially small, except in the sense of not being one of the traditional "Big Six".
Great achievement. Matched nicely by current batch. A.Cook, Browne, Chopra, Westley, Lawrence, Bopara, ten Doeschate, Foster, Harmer, Porter, Amir, Wagner , S.Cook - 9 academy players ?

Quite a journey in recent times. 3 years ago Essex were division 2 strugglers who gave Leicestershire their first win in 3 years.

SeamUp

International Coach
Brendan Taylor has had to end his 3-year stay with Notts for family reasons. To go with legendary Read's retirement and 'shock retirements' of Lumb and Smith there still could be quite a bit of change in the off season with all the success achieved.

Good base to build around in the batting with Mullaney, Hales, Wessels, Patel although would have been great for Libby, Moores and Root to stand up more but Moores & Root contributed in limited overs cricket. But definitely leaves room for more improvement.

The bowling is nicely stocked with Broad, Ball, Gurney, Footitt , Fletcher, Hutton

Last edited:

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
Great achievement. Matched nicely by current batch. A.Cook, Browne, Chopra, Westley, Lawrence, Bopara, ten Doeschate, Foster, Harmer, Porter, Amir, Wagner , S.Cook - 9 academy players ?

Quite a journey in recent times. 3 years ago Essex were division 2 strugglers who gave Leicestershire their first win in 3 years.
As a proud Essex man who's been waiting for 25 years, hats off to the boys. I wouldn't have called that this team would be champs after coming up last year. Especially with a 8-0-4 record so far. Good oversees signings and good prospects, but mid table I'd have said, at best.

Div 1 CC not as tough as it once was??

SeamUp

International Coach
As a proud Essex man who's been waiting for 25 years, hats off to the boys. I wouldn't have called that this team would be champs after coming up last year. Especially with a 8-0-4 record so far. Good oversees signings and good prospects, but mid table I'd have said, at best.

Div 1 CC not as tough as it once was??
Quality mate. Hopefully the start of another golden era.

It might also stop the likes of Foakes & Topley thinking pastures new are better.

On the toughness - don't see enough to say. Getting it down 8 teams probably is trying to help with that but 2 relegated teams certainly makes it a dog fight.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It might also stop the likes of Foakes & Topley thinking pastures new are better.
I can see why Foakes did as getting the gloves ahead of probably the best keeper batsman in county cricket for the last 15 years was always going to be difficult. Think Foster was criminally underused by England but that is another discussion.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Parkinson bros having good games.

As prospects Matthew (leggie) gets nice drift and turn but will probably have to get quicker through the air if he wants to make it to international level.
Callum(sla) doesn't seem to turn it much (or at all), just bowls it fairly straight and tight. Action reminiscent of Michael Beer imo. Trained in Aus last winter so maybe did work with beer or someone who trained Beer.