Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: **Official** County Cricket 2017

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Bell-Drummond flopping in the West Indian 50 over. Hasn't done great in lions overseas cricket. Playing in div 2 I really think if you want to be playing international cricket you need to be standing out when you have the opportunity to play in other comps. DBD seems a fair way short of the standard required to play international cricket at present. They normally do 2 or 3 years in the lions then England leave them to their own devices to see if they can improve further (if they haven't reached international level).

Interesting from a Sussex perspective that Rippon and Zaidi have gone off to had success in white ball competitions across the world when they couldn't make a sussex white ball team that has struggled in recent times. Zaidi for instance couldn't make the Sussex team and yet was player of the tournament in the Bangladesh premier league and did really well for Essex last year in T20. Rippon barely played for Sussex but got picked up by Otago this winter and has done well. Doesn't look great from a sussex perspective.

On the topic of sussex they have a nice bowling fast bowling group now for 4 day (2nd division) and white ball cricket. Philander(overseas), Magoffin, Jordan, Shahzad, Mills, Archer, Wiese, Garton, Whittingham, Robinson

Only really Notts can come anywhere close to that kind of depth in div 2. They should be competing on all fronts with that kind of bowling lineup. It covers all aspects really.... Pace, white ball skills, batting, youth, experience.

Laurie Evans and Van Zyl are nice pickups for the batting but no Joyce. Should be a big threat in white ball cricket with that squad.
    harsh.ag likes this.

U19 Cricketer
    Will broad be playing I the championship up until July then? Assuming he doesn't get called into the one day side that is

International 12th Man S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Flint View Post
    Will broad be playing I the championship up until July then? Assuming he doesn't get called into the one day side that is
    Presumably. I read somewhere that Anderson would be playing around eight fixtures for Lancs, and that Cook was looking forward to some (almost a rarity for him) division one runs, so presumably the same applies to Broad.

Should be a better than usual season in terms of the internationals playing for their counties because of the delay of the test stuff starting.

More proof (if ever there was needed?) that the ECB want to destroy county cricket,

ECB report puts pressure on county academies | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

If you are trying to produce the best facilities, doing it at the county level is always going to be difficult without providing advantages to some counties. How much does the ECB contribute towards county facilities?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    If you are trying to produce the best facilities, doing it at the county level is always going to be difficult without providing advantages to some counties. How much does the ECB contribute towards county facilities?
    Not much considering they are sitting on 70 plus million, just in case, (this was the reason provided - I kid you not), ''Her Majesty the Queen dies''! It is actually MCC/Lord's which runs the cricketing universities, the MCCUs as they are called, e.g. Durham MCC University, Loughborough, etc.

U19 Cricketer
    What's the future for rashid at Yorkshire? The mood towards him from senior players and captain/new coach gale was extremely negative after he pulled out of the modded yorks title decider. You reckon they are going to try to bring through their young spinner in the championship even when rash is available?

He cited personal reasons (a family member taken ill?) yet certainly went to Bangladesh three weeks later so I bet the Tykes are suspicious. Gale's ''he wants to rest. That’s his decision. I’ll take 11 lads on the field who will give everything to win” was cutting.

Vaughan's defense of the Bairstow decision yet criticism of Rashid's, that is that Bairstow ''is an England player'', did not make a lot of sense since Rashid is also an 'England player'' and that neither were centrally contracted at the time, but then Vaughan speaks a lot of nonsense these days including his advocacy of four day tests and his support for the Durham penalties.

U19 Cricketer
    Yeah i wonder if they'll just give rafiq a proper run in the side now for the red ball stuff instead of changing the team every time rash is availible. Although they will probably miss his lower order runs more than his bowling.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Can't help but be excited by England's batting options going into the 2019 WC. Theoretically the group should all still be improving upto 2019 (possibly with Morgan the only exception).

Billings played a very impressive knock yesterday in PSL. PLayed the spin really well. Has the big shots but also scores of most deliveries. Calm and composed. Looks to be on the verge of really breaking through but will he get the opportunity with England?

Still hard for him to get into the England ODI side. 8 into 7 doesn't go (or 6 into 5). Billings is going to put some serious pressure on Roy, Hales and Morgan for their spots but I don't think any of them really deserve to be dropped. Hales is the most vulnerable but Billings is best suited to the middle order. Hales (and Roy) is still a better opener imo. Billings if he played for a year I feel would be better than Morgan but that isn't going to happen.

The only way I could get Billings into the side is bring him in for Hales, promote Ali to open, and slot Billings in at 5 or 6 with Stokes dropping to 7. i.e Roy, Ali, Root, Morgan, Billings, Buttler, Stokes
    It would make better use of Moeen's skills and the middle order would be a lot stronger and more adaptable. I can't see it happening though as they seem to have completely disregarded Moeen as a white ball opener.
    There's no perfect solution though. Even with this team you'd have two openers who aren't really capable of going on. Too many 30,40s and not enough big hundreds and you want at least one of your openers capable of making those massive scores that settle games.

Billings in for Morgan would be the decision I'd make if the captaincy wasn't involved and it would be incredibly harsh on Morgan.

Stokes and Ali kind of get a free ride for their spots at the moment with England wanting the 6 bowlers. Stokes is improving as a bat, very good fielder and average to poor bowler so is guaranteed a spot. Moeen on the other hand could be vulnerable - his odi game has gone no-where. But Billings for Mo is a no go really giveen it leaves the bowling really light.

I think put Root up to open, Stokes up to 3 and then Morgan, Buttler, Billings, Moeen.

Would be really harsh on Hales, but they should at least try it while he is injured.
    Last edited by Pothas; 16-02-2017 at 05:20 PM.

I see the Loins have been consistent by going for England's strict "no Somerset" policy, got to admire the consistency.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

U19 Cricketer
    Unbelievable not to play leach, they will probably say it's down to the issue with his action but it always looked perfectly fine to me. I'm mddsx myself but I've no leach is the better bowler especially as it's being played in sri lanka

I thought he'd been away remodeling his action, (that is if there ever was any truth in the chucking claim in the first place)? It has all been handled appallingly by the ECB and could lead to the decline of a spin bowling talent.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    I thought he'd been away remodeling his action, (that is if there ever was any truth in the chucking claim in the first place)? It has all been handled appallingly by the ECB and could lead to the decline of a spin bowling talent.
    I've got a feeling he's played in a Lions game or two since remodelling his action, but I may be mistaken and in any case he may have worked on it further since. Apparently he was left out of this one "to provide him more time to groove it in the nets before testing it under the pressure of a match situation" after taking 0-68 of 14 in a warm-up match, which is not an especially promising sign but not exactly enough to form a conclusion from. Really, really hope he comes through.
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information