• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Auction

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't work like that. Value doesn't equal skill. It equates to what the teams want, what they currently lack in their squad etc etc.

If all teams already have settled gun overseas batsmen, there is no point picking another one and have him sit on the bench all season..
That's a fair point and there is some rationale why Boult would get a higher price than Guptill in India given good local pace bowlers aren't in such high supply, but Guptill missing out all together is very short-sighted by a number of clubs imho. He's simply one of the best white-ball bats in the game these days, and his form in the last 3 years has been simply sensational. Has genuine X-factor.

Daemon

Guptill was woeful last IPL wasn't he? Historically the teams tend to favour those who've done well before (Simmons) and crowd pullers (Pollard). Centurymaker is also spot on about value not being equivalent to skill. Availability is another major consideration.

Nonetheless there are usually some shockers and I suspect this auction will be no different.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
He wasn't awful, but underwhelmed. I'd have taken a punt, but I understand the logic of ignoring him.
Tahir has been hit around the park too often. And only seems to do well against opposition who are not so good v spin.

Really liking the look of the RCB squad! Some truly exceptional players.

Kohli
Watson
ABD
Gayle
Mills
Badree
Kedar Jadhav
Rahul
Chahal
Negi

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a fair point and there is some rationale why Boult would get a higher price than Guptill in India given good local pace bowlers aren't in such high supply, but Guptill missing out all together is very short-sighted by a number of clubs imho. He's simply one of the best white-ball bats in the game these days, and his form in the last 3 years has been simply sensational. Has genuine X-factor.
Yes I agree but I can also see where the ipl teams are coming from.
His reputation isn't high in the indian ipl circles, and even Vettori & Fleming aren't interested in him whatsoever

Niall

International Coach
Tahir has been hit around the park too often. And only seems to do well against opposition who are not so good v spin.

Really liking the look of the RCB squad! Some truly exceptional players.

Kohli
Watson
ABD
Gayle
Mills
Badree
Kedar Jadhav
Rahul
Chahal
Negi
Like most of them, although I think Gayle is close to the end, horrible so far in the PSL and was inconsistent last year,

However with plenty of Indian batting, they could actually go with 2 frontline oversea bowlers for the first time in yonks.

Don't forget Sarfraz Khan, immense amount of potential and can be very destructive at the death.

Daemon

Lol He played 2 innings, one failure & one decent 30 IIRC :p Not enough game time to be woeful
Carry on then. I'm seeing some **** like Mills, Negi, Guptill, Cummins that I want to hate on but I cbf finding out the teams purse and balance prior to the auction.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Like most of them, although I think Gayle is close to the end, horrible so far in the PSL and was inconsistent last year,

However with plenty of Indian batting, they could actually go with 2 frontline oversea bowlers for the first time in yonks.

Don't forget Sarfraz Khan, immense amount of potential and can be very destructive at the death.
True!
Watson, ABD, Badree & Mills will probably end up being the 4 internationals they'll stick with after giving Gayle a go.

And yea Sarfraz too!
Maybe they need a good indian pacer.

anil1405

International Captain
Bit worried for him though, Ish Sodhi and Tahir have gone unpicked unfortunately.
Maybe they might look at Rashid as a backup initially, not to forget he strikes the ball better than the two names you've mentioned.

Zinzan

Still personally think the best thing from a world spectators POV would be to see the IPL up the game day quota from 4 to 5 overseas players, meaning a split of 6-5 of local Indian players to overseas.

I get the argument that it's a Indian comp and that would mean too few local players etc, but still think it would raise the standard of the comp and make it an even better overall package.

Daemon

Still personally think the best thing from a world spectators POV would be to see the IPL up the game day quota from 4 to 5 overseas players, meaning a split of 6-5 of local Indian players to overseas.

I get the arguments that it's a Indian comp and that would mean too few local players etc, but still think it would raise the standard of the comp and make it an even better overall package.
I don't think adding 8 more players would make that much difference compared to the effect it would have on the Indian cricketers who get left out.