• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup win vs Away series wins

What would you personally prefer?

• Winning the world cup

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Two important away series wins

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
In Order to Importance:

1. Winning the WC by beating India in a Final - Ends the streak :cool:
2. Winning a Series in Aus & RSA
3. Winning a series in Aus
4. Winning a series in RSA
5. Winning WC

Don't really care about Test series against India. We have won in India and have a better head to head record against them.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
1. Ashes
2. India away (probably the most difficult task in world cricket right now)
3. Proteas away
4. Proteas and India home, and Pakistan home or away
5 World Cup
6 Away tests against the minnows with Sri Lanka probably topping the list
7. Home tests against minnows
8 Bilateral one-dayers, away
9 Bilateral one-dayers home
9 Twenty20 world cup
10 Champions' trophy
11. dodgy tri-nations event in dubai

Alright, alright, I'll stop now.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Order to Importance:

1. Winning the WC by beating India in a Final - Ends the streak :cool:
2. Winning a Series in Aus & RSA
3. Winning a series in Aus
4. Winning a series in RSA
5. Winning WC

Don't really care about Test series against India. We have won in India and have a better head to head record against them.
Your new avatar btw -

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Windies haha?

I would be interested as would most in England if it wasn't the West Indian 3rd eleven we will be playing!
you miss the point.

instead of concentrating on the series at hand you'll get morons like botham treating it as an audition for the ashes.

just play the ****ing series.

S.Kennedy

you miss the point.

instead of concentrating on the series at hand you'll get morons like botham treating it as an audition for the ashes.

just play the ****ing series.
By default it is a bit of an Ashes audition considering the calibre of opposition.

Burgey

As an Aussie, I've had a good fill of Ashes wins and world cup wins. India?...just one fluke win. I'd take beating India in India, and the expected home win against India, over a world cup. This means for four years I could use this to troll 1 billion people. I don't think anywhere near 1 billion people get annoyed when Australia win a world cup as they are kind of half expected to anyways. But beating India in their fortress.... That would annoy a billion people for four years, and perhaps longer, because I could dredge it up, even after India won it back, for double troll points. I'd imagine the same would apply for Indians in reverse, but they only get to piss off 20 million people.
Pretty much this but for all away test series vs anyone not West Indies (sorry, but they've been bad a long time so I wouldn't trade one series loss to them for a WC).

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Well the only thing that has alluded Australia is the World T20. Even England won that and we (traditionally) stink at T20.

Burgey

Yeah. But tbh I don't think many Australian supporters give a flying **** about that. I mean, I'm a cricket tragic and it wasnt even on my radar as an option in his discussion.

Burgey

I should clarify that by "away test series" I do include Bangladesh. Not because I hold them in particularly high regard, but because Australia beating them over there would shut ***** up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As a cricket fan I'd probably prefer series wins in Australia and South Africa. But as someone who also wants to see the Blackcaps inspire a future generation of cricketers, I don't think anything would compare to a World Cup win.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At this point I'd say World Cup. I think England have beaten everyone away in a Test series this century except Sri Lanka so although more away success would be nice we've been relatively spoiled this century. Whereas every single World Cup performance since I've started watching cricket in 1999 has been an embarassment.

S.Kennedy

Three times runners-up ('79, '87, '92). But yes we've stunk the competition out commencing 1996.

Athlai

Not Terrible
As a cricket fan I'd probably prefer series wins in Australia and South Africa. But as someone who also wants to see the Blackcaps inspire a future generation of cricketers, I don't think anything would compare to a World Cup win.
Yeah, to the greater public it's definitely the World Cup by a fair distance.

S.Kennedy

It probably wouldn't have much significance for England, a victory, since the thing will be closed-off to Sky customers. I don't remember many non-cricketing aficionados caring much when England won the World Twenty20.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
1983 WC win was indisputably huge for India (and for wider cricketing world).

Wouldn't trade a potential upcoming 2019 win for anything else.

morgieb

We've won 4 of the last 5 World Cups. Gimme an away Ashes win or an away India win.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't expect us to win anything. As long as India compete reasonably well, and our cricket doesn't go the same way as WI, I'll remain interested. I don't think there's much danger of that happening because I think the game is in a decent state here (despite the administrators' best efforts).

As to what I'd prefer to win, yeah a series win away in Eng/SA/Aus would be great, as would a WC. I'd probably prefer the former, given the choice.

Saying that, nothing in my lifetime will ever come close to topping 2001. Beating that Australian side, from that position.. we're lucky we got to experience that. If only I'd been at the ground in Kolkata or Chennai on day 5, I'd probably never stop boring people about it.
Was there for the full Chennai test in 2001... ?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As a cricket fan for whom tests are my preferred I'd prefer NZ to be dominant and win away, but I think a WC win would do more for the sport long-term regarding media interest, public support and playing numbers. Therefore, I'd go for the World Cup.

Here's to a baking hot summer in England in 2019 and pitches that turn square as I think with Sodhi, Santner and Williamson NZ will have the best spin attack in the tournament.

Last edited: