• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup win vs Away series wins

What would you personally prefer?

• Winning the world cup

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Two important away series wins

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose ABD's decision to skip Tests to focus exclusively on winning the world cup has prompted me to ponder on this..

What is it that matters more to the cricketing public of the respective countries if there was a choice between winning the world cup and winning important series away from home?

Australian cricketing public-
World Cup or series win in England (or India)

English cricketing public-
WC or Ashes win in Australia

perhaps one series win away from home isn't enough so what if there were two series wins away from home?
Ashes + winning in India vs World Cup win

Indian cricketing public-
WC or series win in Australia and England

South African cricketing public-
WC or series win in Aus, Eng and India

New Zealand cricketing public-
WC or series win in Australia and England

And also what would you prefer personally? And what series win(s) would you take over a world cup win?

As a Indian cricket fan, I believe Indian public would not take anything over a world cup win, even most of the cricketing experts wouldn't.
Personally, I would take series win Australia & England over winning the world cup, only because the latter was achieved not long ago.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I guess it depends on what they've won before. As an Indian fan, since we've won the WC before, and in 2011 on home soil, I'd say I'd gladly take a series win in Australia /sa (fat chance of it ever happening) over the 2019 wc if given the choice.

For SA, I think the stigma of having choked in the WC is something they want to wash away which will only happen if they actually win the damn thing. Wouldn't be surprised if most SA fans consider it the biggest prize.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I guess it depends on what they've won before. As an Indian fan, since we've won the WC before, and in 2011 on home soil, I'd say I'd gladly take a series win in Australia /sa (fat chance of it ever happening) over the 2019 wc if given the choice.

For SA, I think the stigma of having choked in the WC is something they want to wash away which will only happen if they actually win the damn thing. Wouldn't be surprised if most SA fans consider it the biggest prize.

This for me too.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So one sole away series win (in either Aus or SA) would be enough for you to give up on the WC?
Personally I would never take that. And especially not over a win in SA, because 1) it's not as big a series popularity wise, few notice it, and rivalry isn't quite there. 2) In the near future I don't expect them to be anywhere as strong a team as they have been in recent times (due to their internal issues). So Im confident of series win(s) there in yrs to come lol. So I'd take the WC

Last edited:

Zinzan

Yeah this. It's been the most elusive thing in SA's cricket history, although sometimes you can want something too much and end up buckling (I won't use the other word).

SeamUp

International Coach
I want both.

Even though we've beaten Australia in Australia on our last 3 visits , England in England our last 2 visits & India in India (with a couple of draws) since readmission I would not devalue tests over a 50-over tournament even though we haven't won it.

If you put me on the spot I would probably have to choose a successful test side so would choose important test series wins.

Zinzan

From a NZ point of view, we've won a Test series in Australia so WC for me.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
for me
WC >> winning in SA
WC > winning in Aus
WC = winning in Aus & SA, or in Eng & SA
WC < winning in Aus & Eng

The thrashings in Aus & Eng part of the reason for picking series win there over WC.

Victor Ian

International Coach
As an Aussie, I've had a good fill of Ashes wins and world cup wins. India?...just one fluke win. I'd take beating India in India, and the expected home win against India, over a world cup. This means for four years I could use this to troll 1 billion people. I don't think anywhere near 1 billion people get annoyed when Australia win a world cup as they are kind of half expected to anyways. But beating India in their fortress.... That would annoy a billion people for four years, and perhaps longer, because I could dredge it up, even after India won it back, for double troll points. I'd imagine the same would apply for Indians in reverse, but they only get to piss off 20 million people.

OverratedSanity

So one sole away series win (in either Aus or SA) would be enough for you to give up on the WC?
Yup. Can only speak for myself of course. When we lost the 2015 semi, I was disappointed but it was nowhere near the frustration I felt when we pissed away a series win at Capetown in the Kallisball game. The 2011 wc win is still kinda fresh, and it had the story of everyone wanting Tendulkar to finally win it. 2015 didn't have that same feeling of desperation, I was "OK, this sucks big time, but it's not the end of the world".

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Beating Pakistan in tests is what I prefer the most but other than that, World Cups any day. Given the fact that the '83 win inspired a generation of cricketers for us. Lone away test wins lack context for us atm. Maybe in a few years, when we build something like the Ashes against some rivals, test wins would mean more.

Zinzan

As an Aussie, I've had a good fill of Ashes wins and world cup wins. India?...just one fluke win. I'd take beating India in India, and the expected home win against India, over a world cup. This means for four years I could use this to troll 1 billion people. I don't think anywhere near 1 billion people get annoyed when Australia win a world cup as they are kind of half expected to anyways. But beating India in their fortress.... That would annoy a billion people for four years, and perhaps longer, because I could dredge it up, even after India won it back, for double troll points. I'd imagine the same would apply for Indians in reverse, but they only get to piss off 20 million people.
Pffft, you spoiled Aussies have won all that's to be won.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
This is also why Dhoni's captaincy in Capetown 2011 is literally the worst thing ever.
Yup, probably worse than Ponting's decision to bowl part-timers in 2008 in the last Test when although India were 1-0 up, in the match itself India were only about 200 ahead in the 3rd innings with 5 or 6 wickets down and because Ponting was fearing a suspension due to very poor over rate, he decided to bowl part-timers.. instead of looking to wrap up the Indian lower order and give Aus a decent chance of levelling the series & retaining the Border Gavaskar Trophy.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i've been fortunate enough to see england win in pretty much every test playing nation bar zimbabwe since the turn of the century so a world cup win would be nice.

in terms of favourite away wins....

australia 10/11
india 12/13
pakistan 00
south africa 05
sri lanka 01

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Beating Pakistan in tests is what I prefer the most but other than that, World Cups any day. Given the fact that the '83 win inspired a generation of cricketers for us. Lone away test wins lack context for us atm. Maybe in a few years, when we build something like the Ashes against some rivals, test wins would mean more.
Hmmm interesting
IMO, Beating Pakistan in WCs (when literally everyone is watching passionately) > beating Pakistan in Tests. And the 6-0 (11-0 including T20 Wc) record means a lot.

But yea would be nice to beat Pakistan in Tests too, although a Test series b/w the two is not going to happen for a few years at least if not more.

Also, I totally agree with the rest of the post.

Last edited: