• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just how many "ATGs" are there in your mind?

Approx. how many should be labeled as ATGs?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see everyone with a half decent opinion in this thread rightfully including TOTAB in their lists

flibbertyjibber

Few good shouts in there. What about sehwag as an atg for India?
He'd surely come under your Hayden for Australia category. Similar record and similar style in that they were an attacking intimidating opener though one moved his feet a bit more than the other.

Zinzan

i'm so pissed that I never saw Crow be awesome and noticed it. He just completely flew under the radar for me. I thought he retired before Hadlee. Oh well, Stiff ****!
Probably because he was in & out in those last 3-4 years battling with his knee. Got injured & came home early in his last trip to Aust in '93.

Burgey

i'm so pissed that I never saw Crow be awesome and noticed it. He just completely flew under the radar for me. I thought he retired before Hadlee. Oh well, Stiff ****!
Seriously missed out. Jeez he was a great player.

Groundking

International Debutant
2k+ Runs @ 50 qualifies at ATG for me, alongside sub 25 bowling average with 150 wickets taken, and then some exceptions who were obviously ATG's like Warne and Willis who both averaged just north of 25, or Crowe who didn't average north of 50, but obviously is because of context, it's harder to be truly great in a team that's seriously struggling than a truly great team, like Windies in the 80's or the Aussies 00-07, and then all rounders like Beefy. Gives about 75 ish players who were ATG IMO.

Plus longevity could come into play in a few years, for example, should Cook just play until his heart gives out and ends up with a career opening/no.3 scoring 17000 runs @ 45, or Anderson managing 600 wickets @ 28 they have to be considered ATG IMO, simply because of how horrifically difficult it is to play for the lengths of time that they will have too to achieve those results (plus those records will likely never be broken IF they happen). So that qualifies people like Rhodes and Woolley who played 30 years 315 days and 25 years 13 days respectively (with good careers)

Last edited:

Burgey

He was, only easier on the eye when he batted. He was basically an 80s-90s Greg Chappell. So elegant when he batted.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The definition of ATG is important. If I was working with:

"An ATG is a player who would almost always make his national all time side, and also not look out of place in an all time World XI"

my list would be:

England: SF Barnes - Jack Hobbs - Len Hutton - Wally Hammond - Jim Laker - Fred Trueman - Ian Botham - Allan Knott

Australia: Victor Trumper - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Adam Gilchrist - Shane Warne - Bill O'Reilly - Glenn McGrath - Dennis Lillee - Keith Miller

WI: Gordon Greenidge - Garry Sobers - Viv Richards - George Headley - Brian Lara - Malcolm Marshall - Curtly Ambrose - Michael Holding

Pakistan: Imran Khan - Wasim Akram

India: Sachin Tendulkar : Kapil Dev

SA: Graham Pollock - Jaques Kallis - Dale Steyn

SL: Muttiah Muralitharan - Kumar Sangakkara

NZ - Richard Hadlee

That's only 35

If we are talking guys who might make their own nation's test ATG XI, the pool is much bigger, obviously.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Healy criminally underrated in these threads. Voted best keeper of the 20th century, he gets forgotten because the GOAT was his replacement (and wasn't as good of a gloveman). The hundred he made against Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop at the Gabba will go down as one of the finest innings ever played by a keeper.

Should be considered in the top 5 keepers of all time.

Burgey

Very good point.It's easy to overlook Healy as a cricketer because his commentary is so dire, but he was an insanely good keeper. As good as I've seen over such an extended period.