• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: top 5 ODI bats

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Mine would be:

1 Sachin Tendulkar | his agreessiveness, he learns every lesson, picks up every cue, dominates the opposing attack sooner or later, and nearly always makes a hundred. As he himself modestly said 'he's a child of the one day age'. His attacking nature along with consistency is one of its kind|

2 Ricky Ponting | A man who saves his best for the biggest occassions of Limited Overs Cricket i.e. 140* WC final 2003. Punter is a man of raw talent and can ammend his game to suit the conditions and run rate required. He is like a silent helicopter mechanic at work who has a 'plan of action' in mind and works according to that. Undisputed world best player of the hook, pull and square cut |

3 Jacques Kallis | Kallis's understanding of batting is one of a kind. 'The bowler delivers the ball and you (a) stop it hitting your stumps, and (b) try to hit it. Clear mind, clear focus, no distractions. Simple. ' Like Mark Richardson (NZ) commented, he is a batting machine with lil or no flamboyance and style but thoroughly effective. He is genius at pacing the innings. I think his finest knock in ODI must have been the 130 not out matchwinning innings against WI a few weeks back |

4 Adam Gilchrist | Exciting, thrilling, breathtaking,blood-tingling and sui generis. Adam Gilchrist holds a very high career scoring rate. While his ODI avg isn't particularly high, its the manner in which he scores his runs that makes him my no4 ODI batsman of today|

5 Andy Symonds | One of the most powerful hitters of the ball that ODI cricket has ever seen. A man with good natural and pristine footwork, alongside excellent eye concentration and timing. Most popular for his assault on the best bowling attack of the 90's (Wasim, Waqar, Shaoib, Saqqy) scoring 143*. A man of extraodinary strokes that can unbalance the rythem of even the best quickies in the world|

Who are your top 5 ODI bats?

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
I think Christopher Gayle, Yousuf Youhana ,Brian Lara , Matthew Hayden ,Virender Sehwag ,Michael Bevan , Mike Clarke, Yaseer Hameed, and possibly Stephen Fleming are all better ODI bats than Dravid and Ganguly.

This is what the official rankings say......

1 Chris Gayle WI 797 40.52 803 vs Zimbabwe, Harare 2003

2 Sachin Tendulkar IND 779 44.81 884 vs Sri Lanka, Delhi 1996

3 Adam Gilchrist AUS 778 35.83 829 vs Sri Lanka, Dambulla 2004

3 Ricky Ponting AUS 778 42.33 796 vs South Africa, Sydney 2002

5 Jacques Kallis SA 761 45.91 816 vs West Indies, Johannesburg 2004

6 Yousuf Youhana PAK 730 42.90 776 vs Zimbabwe, Harare 2002

7 Brian Lara WI 715 42.83 921 vs Pakistan, Port-of-Spain 1993

8 Matthew Hayden AUS 712 42.04 835 vs India, Centurion 2003

9 +3 Virender Sehwag IND 697 35.05 765 vs New Zealand, Auckland 2003

10 -1 Marcus Trescothick ENG 692 37.50 779 vs South Africa, The Oval 2003

After Dravid's knock today he and Kaif will move up the rankings but I still don't think Dravid who avgs in the late 30s and Ganguly who avgs in the early 40s can be considered amongst the top 5 ODI bats.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Sachin Tendulkar

Ricky Ponting

Jaques Kallis

Yousuf Youhana

Darren Lehmann

Adam Gilchrist

Herschelle Gibbs

Rahul Dravid

Sanath Jayasuria

Michael Bevan ( :lol: I actually only found out yesterday that Bevo's dad actually teaches at my school)

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Ricky Ponting
3. Jaques Kallis
4. Andrew Symonds
5. Adam Gilchrist

iamdavid

International Debutant
age_master said:
haha what have you been doing all this time:lol: :lol: :lol:
not much

I also found out Bevo used to be the opening bowler for the Comets & he batted number 9/10:wow:

Then he got a bit of back trouble & switched to left arm leggies , but when he went to the academy they turned him into a batsman & the rest is history.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
my top 5 bats in order would be

1 Darren Lehmann - The man for all situations and not a cleaner hitter of the ball in form (which is most of the time). He improvises and it comes off more often than not, i just love watching him bat.

2 Matthew Hayden - Although he only has 3 ODI tons there arent many better IMO. Always sets a good platform for the rest of the innings, and everything he does, he does it quickly!

3 Abdul Razzaq - One of the few lower order batsman you can rely upon to win a match. That innings he played against the kiwis this summer was awesome, even though pakistan lost, they shouldnt have been close.

4 Brian Lara - Great batsman who has the record and reputation to back that up, enough said really.....

5 Jaques Kallis - He carries the South African innings with his bat more often than not. I think he should always bat at 3, if he did they would win 90% of their matches. Under rated as a stroke maker, has the ability to hit a run a ball century without even hitting too many boundaries.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess it all depends on the type of player you want - a blaster, a solid opener, an anchor, a nurdler or a final over slogger?

For me:

Afridi
Tendulkar
Dravid
Bevan
Razzaq

(best in each category)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
If it is the greatest one day batsman of all time, it is inarguably Tendulkar. As for other all-time greats, Viv Richards, Des Haynes, Javed Miandad, Saeed Anwar, Inzi Ul Haq, Ricky Ponting, Mark Waugh, Graham Gooch, David Gower.....etc. Some excellent one-day batsmen are Bevan, Gilchrist, Ganguly, Dravid, Youhana.......etc.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Rahul Dravid (able to turn a match as seen in lahore)
Andrew Flintoff (always scores quickly and more reliable than a slogger.
Ricky Ponting (the best in the world in my opinion, simply because he is so consistent, someone like Tendulkar scores a hundred one match then gets out for a duck)
Inzamam (not ranked very high, but with new found fitness can become the best)
Chris Gayle (see flintoff)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Why do so many people think Dravid is a great one-day player? He is without question a fantastic test player but IMO not suited to the one-day game. He averages under 40 in ODIs with a strike rate under 70 and only 8 centuries in over 200 innings.

Don't get me wrong I think he is a wonderful player, probably the most reliable test player in the world at present, but not well suited to the one day game and certainly not one of the top 5 ODI bats.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I can't think of a better anchor in ODIs at the moment - and his current form is pretty impressive is it not?

broncoman said:
2 Matthew Hayden - everything he does, he does it quickly!
I wouldn't say that. He's perfectly capable of scoring at a strike rate of 50 per innings. It happens more often than you might think.

broncoman said:
5 Jaques Kallis - He carries the South African innings with his bat more often than not. I think he should always bat at 3, if he did they would win 90% of their matches. Under rated as a stroke maker, has the ability to hit a run a ball century without even hitting too many boundaries.
90% is an insane figure. :P Try maybe... 60% ish

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Gaijin-san said:
I wouldn't say that. He's perfectly capable of scoring at a strike rate of 50 per innings. It happens more often than you might think.
Very true. During the VB series we were actually complaining about it. The fact he opens with Gilchrist kind of takes the spotlight off his strike rate I think, he doesnt really NEED to score at 300, Gilly's doing it for him ;) Of course, there are times that he does score very quickly, but it wouldnt be with the same consistancy and success at Gilchrist.

Lecture over.:duh: