• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jeetan Patel or Dipak Patel

Who was the better spin bowler for New Zealand

• Jeetan Patel

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Dipak Patel

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Now we're talking. Good thread.

Huge indictment on Jeetan that he has the worst average in Tests, and was never a factor in ODIs.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Dipak by a mile. He was the best spinner in the 1992 WC, an excellent fieldsman and a very talented batsman at 1st class level who didn't do his talent justice in test cricket - had one of the most gutting 99s in test cricket (run out going for the 3rd). He was a very mediocre spinner but still better than Jeets.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also a great coach, one of the best junior development and talent coaches there is in this country. Doing good things with PNG now as well.

Blocky

Banned
I vote Dipak, mostly because you don't get a bunch of idiots still requesting he return to the test side on the basis of him being a county cricketer who took wickets and scored tons of runs for fun over there, adverse to Jeetan.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Dipak, no doubt about it. Doesn't have great bowling figures overall, but had some real match-winning performances in his time. 1992 World Cup he was great, and he spun us to victory with a second innings fiver against Aus at Eden Park in 1993, which is something not many NZ spinners can lay claim to. Taylor, Langer, Martyn, Steve Waugh and Healy, those are some quality wickets.

Howe_zat

Audio File
For a bloke who barely took more wickets than Jeets in twice as many ODIs, people seem awfully sure.

Why don't modern players get the luxury of being remembered by their best performances?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dipak never dominated county cricket in the way Jeets has, or at all, so as they say two divisions has raised the standard, I'd say Jeets, by a distance

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Patel has a better first class bowling average though. Remember he was more of a batsman early in his career, too.

I love Jeets, but he's never had any real matchwinning performances in international cricket. Given their stats could be argued either way (although Dipak's test bowling average is six runs better, which is quite a margin), those types of performances do become relevant, imo.

Rest assured I'm not going to start saying Mark Craig is one of our greats because he got a match winning 10 wicket bag once.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Dipak also played in an era where the spinners weren't attacking options, this was the pre-Warne era where spinners weren't expected to strike with regularity, especially not this part of the world.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fleming or Vettori's job if they want it imo, only it might compromise their IPL & Big Bash gigs.
Yeah I doubt Fleming would want it - seems to be having far too much fun making easy IPL money. While I'm not sure Vettori has enough of a coaching track record as yet.

Blocky

Banned
Fleming or Vettori's job if they want it imo, only it might compromise their IPL & Big Bash gigs.
I think Dipak wouldn't be a bad shout, although I think we need a more vocal man manager (Steve Rixon style) due to Williamson not being terribly demonstrative as a captain and the team being young and needing assistance on gearing up for test cricket.

Fleming/Vettori are fine when you're looking for tactics and planning, but I don't think they're right for NZ Cricket.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wonder if Dipak would be interested in being NZ's next coach after Hesson quits.
He's applied previously, so maybe.

Patel took on the role as coach of the national team of the fledgling cricket nation in August having previously coached Central Districts and the New Zealand under-19 team and unsuccessfully applied for the Black Caps coaching role.

It was, Patel said, a chance to work at international level and build towards his ultimate goal of coaching New Zealand, but more importantly
Former NZ allrounder Dipak Patel's ambitions take a new turn | Stuff.co.nz

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Dip is a wonderful skills coach, but not the best man manager/organiser. Like a John Wright, that older school sort of leader that perhaps the current generation of cricketers don't respond to as well. His days are well gone to be NZ coach, but don't at all see why he wouldn't have worked next to a dot the Is, cross the Ts sort of guy like Hesson.