• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock vs Gary Sobers

Who was the better all rounder in Test cricket

• Shaun Pollack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gary Sobers

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters

Slifer

International Captain
Closer than what some may think. IMO, Sir Gary is in the top 10 among batsmen, a very decent 5th bowler and he can field anywhere and do it outstandingly. Also, Sir Gary literally scored hundreds from the most different batting positions, therefore it's safe to say he can bat anywhere. For these reasons, I'll go with sir Gary.

Bijed

International Regular
Wow, didn't realise Pollock average 32 with the bat! Very impressive to go with his outstanding bowling record. That said, I find it difficult to say who was better overall as their strengths (relatively speaking, they're both good at everything) are in different disciplines. On gut instinct I'd say I'd rather have Pollock in my team, but I don't expect this will be a universally held opinion.

Sobers vs Kallis might be a better comparison to draw - they have similar records

Athlai

Not Terrible
If Bradman didn't exist Sobers would be one of the names thrown around as the best bat ever. Pollock was a very very good bowler, but he was never quite that level. Don't think they're too far apart in their weaker discipline, possibly a little underrated but their stronger suit was so much more important.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its obviously Sobers.

Shaun Pollock maybe doesn't even make the AT SA XI, but he is criminally underrated. I heard New Zealand commentators once describe him as a 'poor man's Richard Hadlee', which I guess is not the worst comparison in the world but doesnt really put Polly in the greatest light.

His batting would probably have been even better if he wasn't as good a bowler. Very good timer of the ball, languid style but he sometimes got out playing lazy shots. Played so many quick-fire 30s and 40s looking the business before getting caught at point cutting or something like that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Imran Khan vs Shaun Pollock would be a far better discussion.

Bahseph

State Captain
Really weird comparison thread haha. But I was always a huge Polly fan. Should have taken his batting more seriously and been at 7 or 6 more often in his early career. I've heard him say quite a few times that bowling was his job and batting the hobby , so he always aimed to score as quick as he could. Classic technique though. Loved watching him.