Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Should runs scored/wickets taken against Bangladesh now finally mean something

Should runs scored/wickets taken against Bangladesh now finally mean something

They have been a force in ODIs since 2014, and now have finally proven to be a Test-quality side.

I'd put my money on them being stiffer opponents away from home than the West Indies too; possibly even Sri Lanka.

From this day forward, do we now fully accept runs and wickets against BD as being as good as runs and wickets against anyone else?
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricketer Of The Year AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Tbh runs/wickets taken against any opposition should be considered unless you are bowling to Kim Jong Un who has a record of 403* unbeaten in one innings and that too in one session. WAFG
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Saifuddin, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    No. because whilst one swallow makes for a good end to a night out, it doesn't make a summer.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Would make my summer tbh.
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith
    We've had a lot of collapses in the last couple of years, I think in our last 15 games we've had 14 collapses or something like that.

Having said that, they're definitely on the improve and this result should mean they get more tours against everyone home and away.

They're probably better than WI right now, so if we kind of qualify performances against the Bangers we should definitely do so against the Windies (and against Australia away fwiw).

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Been worth something for a while. Only Zimbabwe are notably inferior these days.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Would make my summer tbh.
    Very good point.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't think we should class games against them as Tests

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No. because whilst one swallow makes for a good end to a night out, it doesn't make a summer.
    One swallow? Lol
    cricket rules brah

1) Australia was on the brink of losing when chasing 307 in fatullah after the middle order collapse and punter played an incredible knock to bail them out.

2) Pakistan surely lost in Multan credit to a heroic innings from Inzamam.

I am not bothered to search or bring out numerous brilliant performances over the years against weaker oppositions. Its easy to generalize and isolate performances against weaker oppositions but it does not fit right to me. Black_Warrior mentioned in another post that how Younus' knock was crucial against Zimbabwe for Pakistan iirc. There are many instances and so many factors play in a test match, it feels wrong to diminish anyone or a team if they perform against weaker oppositions.
    zorax likes this.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    They have been a force in ODIs since 2014, and now have finally proven to be a Test-quality side.

I'd put my money on them being stiffer opponents away from home than the West Indies too; possibly even Sri Lanka.

From this day forward, do we now fully accept runs and wickets against BD as being as good as runs and wickets against anyone else?
    so now when we try to disregard a player we don't like's stats by blaming Bangladesh we have to go back and make sure they played them before 2016

fml
    zorax likes this.

vcs
    There was also Sachin's ton in early 2010 when he dragged India past 200. It was mentioned on here at the time "5 years down the line, these will probably be treated as typical minnow-bashing runs".
    zorax and indiaholic like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    There was also Sachin's ton in early 2010 when he dragged India past 200. It was mentioned on here at the time "5 years down the line, these will probably be treated as typical minnow-bashing runs".
    yeah i remember that

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post

They have always meant something, it's just relatively speaking. So nothing will change in that respect.

Just like getting test wickets in Australia for touring sides has always been considered more valuable than test wickets in NZ, they're harder to come by.

Furthermore, England runs in this Bangers series should be considered more valuable than Indian runs were against NZ at home, even though the context might be forgotten in years to come.

International 12th Man Victor Ian's Avatar
    I really hope this is the start of Bangladesh being part of the main group. Sri Lanka went from being piss to not bad quite quickly. All it took was a fat bugger to give them some fighting spirit to believe they weren't a joke. I can see Bangladesh being a difficult tour for non sub continental teams if they can start to be more consistent. I hope this win against England makes them realise they have now hit puberty and can soon be men if they continue to grow.

To the Bangladesh fans.....No offense was meant with my quip on the other thread. The offence was aimed at the Indian Fans

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information