• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricketers That Shaped Me

listento_me

U19 Captain
Kevin Pietersen – The Cricketers That Shaped Me

In the world of entertainment, those that are truly special are said to have “it”. Michael Jackson apparently had “it” and so did Muhammad Ali. What is “it” exactly? I’m still trying to figure it out but what I do know is and I suspect millions of other sports fans do too, is how to know when some had “it”. Kevin Pietersen had “it”. Right from the moment he sauntered out onto those African pitches to play his initial international innings. Even as the torrent of boos rained down, he continued to swagger and jive, smashing 2 centuries and looking better than anything England had had to offer in the limited overs game for quite some time.

Fast forward many months and Pietersen, hence forth known as KP, would enter his first test series…an Ashes series. He would end not only with the most runs but a sense of cavalier destruction not seen in the test arena since the days of Viv Richards. His strike rate throughout the series and throughout his career would be something unmatched by almost any other top class batsman. KP wasn’t just going to score runs, he was going to hurt bowlers. None of this was better opitimised then by his first and still best test century, taking 62 runs off 90 Shane Warne deliveries. English cricket would never be the same.

KP was more than just a batsman, he was one of those men who could change the culture of an organisation, in this case, that organisation was English cricket. It’s hard to imagine England becoming an attacking, engrossing limited overs team without Pietersen’s aggression and confidence (****iness?). They certainly would not have won their first and only ICC tournament without him. Not a chance. KP was a maverick and a revolutionary.

For someone like me, a boy in his mid-teens, test cricket wasn’t exactly alluring but England’s most un-English batsman would change that. Every test innings was built on ruthless attack, rather than sound attack. This wasn’t a man carryon on the traditions of Boycott, Atherton or Hussain. This was a man creating his own frame to bat within, one which showed the finger to his opposition and to the establishment. In an age of rebellion, as all teenagers are prone to experience, KP was the face of it all.
I’m not sure if I will watch another test batsman hit the sort of highs he did, century in debut test series (and a mocking of Warne), to a masterful double down under and THAT century against India, in India, beating India. KP pushed England to first after first after first. Whereas the likes of Strauss, Cook and Trott would scratch for their runs, KP would swing for them. It is rare to find a century (any of his 23 in tests or 9 in ODIs) scored at less than 60 runs per 100 balls.

Some players skirt around greatness, never willing to truly go for it. Kevin Pietersen went for it, time and time again. Sometimes he would fall flat but more often than not, he would reach the highest peaks and then saunter off the pitch. Job done. It’s a shame his career ended the way it did and we never got to watch him for a few years more. Who knows how many more firsts he could have pushed England towards.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm sure I read that Tendulkar loved nipping out in his Ferrari at 2am and just driving about. Loved it because it actually allowed him to get some alone time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He got 3 tons in that series against South Africa but other than that a great write up.

Lara excepted I don't think there's another batsman I'd rather watch than KP.

His 2012 special against South Africa was something else.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just watched that South Africa innings at Headingley again.

I'd forgotten how good it was. Dale Steyn got treated with absolute contempt and he played Kallis like he was a spinner.

Didn't finish his career with the average he should have but no-one else of his generation could scale the heights he did.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Just watched that South Africa innings at Headingley again.

I'd forgotten how good it was. Dale Steyn got treated with absolute contempt and he played Kallis like he was a spinner.

Didn't finish his career with the average he should have but no-one else of his generation could scale the heights he did.
tbf, Kallis was spin pace in those days lol

I kid obviously but yeah, when KP was on top form, he just had so much time to play the ball that the bowler could never settle.

Of all the bowlers in world cricket, the two that really unsettled him and he never seemed to fully get over were Asif and Akhtar on that tour to Pakistan in 05

yeah KP was so good to watch. Loved watching him bat in the 2005 Ashes series.
To come from ODI cricket, straight into an Ashes test and rather than trying to play risk averse cricket, he just said "fuk it, I'll do it my way"

Do a full XI. Would love to see how your team would compare to mine.
Yeah, I don't think I could make a definitive all time XI but if I'm keeping to players I have seen in my life time then the names that would definitely appear are: Tendulkar, Ponting, Wasim and Warne.