• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
T20 might end up being his format. Not a good approach in tests and hasn't learned, can't rotate the strike in ODIs, but agree he's always struck the ball nicely so might be a T20 option for NZ.

Question will be, seemingly like a lot of NZ hitters (Anderson etc), can he find ways to score if the opposition doesn't bowl to his obvious strong zone?
I'd prefer Guptill and Rutherford at the top in T20s than KW. Think you've always got to take the left-right combo upfront all other things being even, especially in the fickle form which is T20s.

_Ed_

Hell of a long way to go, but these two could hardly have started the chase better.

Edit: Spoke too soon.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't at all see how Bruce misses the T20 team. An average of 48 with a strike rate of 158 from a couple of seasons, that can't be ignored.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lel, watched one disgustingly skied six on the blackcaps site from Rutherford and instantly my soul knew it was at Pukekura.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like a classic, must have been some yuuuuge aerial blocks for six there at Pukekura.

In that batsman's game, well done to Wheeler and Neesham for going at under 10s.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Good for Bruce getting time batting with a legend like Jayawardene. Rutherford in the T20 side is a reasonable idea. He did play a very good T20 innings at the Oval for NZ, 62 off 35 balls. Oddly, he only played two more T20's after that.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
This is a keen interest of mine. I have no connections with elite level or junior cricket. But our A program and U19 program leave me, as a fan, totally exasperated.

So much so that independent of this post I was doing some google searching on NZC revenue trying to work out where all the money goes.

My assumption was, but conclusion is that it isn't, on the elite 20 centrally contracted players. Eg Kane as top dog is on 200k plus match payments, I think that's fair enough. Bottom dog is on 80k retainer plus match payments.

Earlier this year they did a new deal, based on increased tv revenues, for the 90 domestics. I think these guys were underpaid, so happy with this. And kudos for NZC getting these guys any sort of deal a decade or so ago.

Back in the amateur days NZ had an annual u19 series v either Aus, India or usually England.These days with huge revenues, they get a biennial icc u19 works cup handed to them free - but can't fund anything in the interim years?

We're hosting the next tournament. You'd think teams would be gagging to tour here.

Priority 1 should be an annual A tour or incoming series.

Priority 2 should be the u19s.
Well I remember a few years ago when we got that emergency in need ICC grant of a million bucks or whatever, it was mentioned that that allowed us to go ahead with a few A tours. If that made the difference then I assume money must be a pretty big factor for us. That was what, three to four years ago? It seemed to have a pretty good impact on results for the Blackcaps, as well.

So no idea what effect the new tv deal has had, but I get the feeling NZ Cricket in general struggles to make ends meet. Could be way off though!

The Hutt Rec

Should have been...

Central Districts v Otago at New Plymouth, Dec 21, 2016 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Bruce must have played himself into the T20 side.

Gotta say, the Macca D's smash has stepped it up this season. Shame the TV/media hasn't.
It's frustrating that rugby union gets all of its domestic second division televised, but cricket can't even get every game of the Super Smash on tv. Not to mention only ever showing the Ford Trophy final, and no Plunket Shield.

But in particular, every game played at Pukekura Park should be televised - it should be the law.

I'm always a big fan of our domestic 20-20 comp, think it's a lot better than it gets credit for. I do think the tv commentary for it has been very poor this year though.

_Ed_

The Stags really did a whole lot better than any other team with their international signing. Mahela is class.

The Hutt Rec

The Stags really did a whole lot better than any other team with their international signing. Mahela is class.
Dernbach has been dropped from the Firebirds for today's game. Can't be very common that the international player can't even make 12th man.

Immenso

If the science says that the u19s bowlers should be halving their workloads during the tournament.

Then there's no longer any point making the u19s a single location crammed together tourney over 10 days at Lincoln.

Should be spread throughout the year then, home and away games etc.

What a compromised load of ****.

Immenso

Well I remember a few years ago when we got that emergency in need ICC grant of a million bucks or whatever, it was mentioned that that allowed us to go ahead with a few A tours. If that made the difference then I assume money must be a pretty big factor for us. That was what, three to four years ago? It seemed to have a pretty good impact on results for the Blackcaps, as well.

So no idea what effect the new tv deal has had, but I get the feeling NZ Cricket in general struggles to make ends meet. Could be way off though!
The A tours coincided with an excellent 3 years for NZ. May be causation, but definitely some correlation.

The first year they selected a fairly awful squad for the Asian tour. Only Anderson, Henry, Sodhi made progress from that.

We were supposed to get 3 tours out of that icc money. I count only 2 that have happened.

Year 1: India and Sri Lanka. (That was an excellent itinerary)
Year 2: England for a List A tri series , with 2 token 3 days games v half strength English counties. (Money badly spent)

Maybe tour 3 also happened in year 2? A series of List A games in UAE v associates for those associates' CWC prep. (I thought this was a separate icc initiative for the associates' benefit)

We had incoming Sri Lanka A tour last year, maybe that counted? It got Henry Nicholls elevated.

(Looking it up in the archive, and in hindsight, it should have got Raval elevated)

The fact that Raval, Young have had so little A cricket, Bruce has had none shows where we are letting ourselves down.

They need to get to Dubai, play some A tests against whoever is willing. Good, cheapish (I assume) centrally located facilities.

Immenso

On the u19 tournament- at least it is 12 a side. So the missing overs by the seamers are, in theory, being replaced by the Province's 4th best seamer rather than allowing the batters to feast on 18 year old's part time offies.

The Hutt Rec

The A tours coincided with an excellent 3 years for NZ. May be causation, but definitely some correlation.

The first year they selected a fairly awful squad for the Asian tour. Only Anderson, Henry, Sodhi made progress from that.

We were supposed to get 3 tours out of that icc money. I count only 2 that have happened.

Year 1: India and Sri Lanka. (That was an excellent itinerary)
Year 2: England for a List A tri series , with 2 token 3 days games v half strength English counties. (Money badly spent)

Maybe tour 3 also happened in year 2? A series of List A games in UAE v associates for those associates' CWC prep. (I thought this was a separate icc initiative for the associates' benefit)

We had incoming Sri Lanka A tour last year, maybe that counted? It got Henry Nicholls elevated.

(Looking it up in the archive, and in hindsight, it should have got Raval elevated)

The fact that Raval, Young have had so little A cricket, Bruce has had none shows where we are letting ourselves down.

They need to get to Dubai, play some A tests against whoever is willing. Good, cheapish (I assume) centrally located facilities.
I'm not sure how many came through the A side, but during that time it seemed like almost every player that came into the Blackcaps was instantly successful.

I think it's a hugely important part of the set up. Gives those players that make it a better quality of cricket than Plunket Shield, gives them more quantity of high quality cricket, and gives them a better idea of what to expect when they make the top side.

Unlike the top side these players are also going to come back and play in the Plunket Shield, probably play better, forcing everyone else to lift their game.

Imo the A side/s should be a priority for NZ cricket.

The Hutt Rec

Firebirds finally get a win, and first loss for the Aces this year. Was a fantastic innings by Ronchi - he was the only one who really seemed fluent with the bat today, although Papps chipped in with a good anchoring knock.

Not sure what happened to the Aces. It got gloomy, but not that bad. They barely fired a shot in their innings, Munro especially looking horrible and unable to middle anything. Chapman was the only one who really caused any heart flutters.

Verna was a huge improvement on Dernbach. Phillips can keep, his stumping of Pollard was one of the fastest I've ever seen, even if it was as easy as they get.