• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Stokes and Woakes Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah he isn't that much better a bat than Rashid if at all. He just gets shoved up the order a little artificially because Surrey have had glut of middle-lower middle order bats but no top 3 recently.
Yeah I'd trust Ansari's technique more up the order if need be but if we're talking about who's going to add the most value with the bat at #9 I don't think there'd be much to separate them. If anything Rashid might even be better at that.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is there any case for picking Woakes over Stokes if all three of Anderson, Broad, and Finn/Wood are playing?

91Jmay

International Coach
Probably not, as a batsmen would be more valuable in that circumstance than another seamer and England think Stokes is a better batsmen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I reckon it'd be nuts to play Finn ahead of Woakes anyway. There's room for both Woakes and Stokes now unless the conditions dictate that more than three seamers would be a waste.

Scaly piscine

I think it's nigh on impossible to look at a pitch and say 4 seamers is going to be a waste. It may end up going that way, but to make that call before the toss is very difficult.

I honestly think Broad should be left out if it is a bunsen and you only want 3 seamers. Yes Broad is a bit better with a ball, but Woakes and Stokes are a whole lot better with the bat, and if seamers are only a peripheral factor then the batting differential becomes much more important.

Of course you could just pick Stokes and Woakes and Ansari, Moeen, Borthwick and Rashid as a bowling line up... that would interesting... T20-esque batting lineup.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it's nigh on impossible to look at a pitch and say 4 seamers is going to be a waste. It may end up going that way, but to make that call before the toss is very difficult.

I honestly think Broad should be left out if it is a bunsen and you only want 3 seamers. Yes Broad is a bit better with a ball, but Woakes and Stokes are a whole lot better with the bat, and if seamers are only a peripheral factor then the batting differential becomes much more important.

Of course you could just pick Stokes and Woakes and Ansari, Moeen, Borthwick and Rashid as a bowling line up... that would interesting... T20-esque batting lineup.

I wish that side is picked for their first test against us... :p

Dan Jamson

School Boy/Girl Captain
a 6,7,8,9 of Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes is incredibly strong. If only we had a decent middle order before it.

Scaly piscine

Leaving Broad out is absolute madness.
Not really. He averages nigh on 40 with the ball in Asia and he's now a number 11 with the bat. If India are preparing the sort of 150 v 200 bunsens they had for South Africa then Broad bowling a few overs in the match with the new ball is a waste given he's not great with the new ball anyway and he offers nowt else. If you go 3 seamers and 2 spinners, where the spinners bowl 50-60% of the overs then Broad is the one to go. Anderson has a good record in Asia and the skillset for those pitches. Broad doesn't.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
We'll just overlook the fact that since 2012 he averages under 23 in Asia shall we? Clearly the games before that make more of a compelling argument.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Broad has been unlucky in Asia really. Had fitness issues last time he toured India. only played one test in SL 2012. Was really good in his last two UAE tours. Think he has something to prove this winter but don't think you can say he's a dud in Asia yet.

Scaly piscine

We'll just overlook the fact that since 2012 he averages under 23 in Asia shall we? Clearly the games before that make more of a compelling argument.
Clearly including all of the games instead of cherry picking the ones you like makes more of a compelling argument.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Cook *
2. Ansari
3. Borthwick
4. Root
5. Stokes
6. Bairstow +
7. Ali
8. Woakes
9. Rashid
10. Broad
11. Anderson

#FullNSW

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Clearly including all of the games instead of cherry picking the ones you like makes more of a compelling argument.
How is looking at recent history less relevant then looking at something from 6 or 7 years ago when he was nothing like the bowler he currently is?

However, will remember your point next time you have a whinge about Durham players being overlooked so for someone like Borthwick we have to also consider his whole career, not just his last few seasons so you clearly agree that he isn't deserving of a call up...

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad is one of the best seamers in the world, and possesses the ability to run through a side like nobody else we have. The idea of him not playing in our most challenging series since probably the last away Ashes is bizarre. I'd like to think any selector who made such a suggestion would be sacked on the spot and deported. It's a non-starter.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad is one of the best seamers in the world, and possesses the ability to run through a side like nobody else we have. The idea of him not playing in our most challenging series since probably the last away Ashes is bizarre. I'd like to think any selector who made such a suggestion would be sacked on the spot and deported. It's a non-starter.
Yeah but the scrabble champ knows best, we should have enforced the follow on you know.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure we all know by now that the correct answer to any cricket question/decision is the opposite of what Scaly says.